SPG123
SPG123 Reader
12/7/16 12:55 a.m.

So now it is stuck nose first in the garage. Can not turn it far enough to get neutral. Ideas please!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/7/16 5:32 a.m.

Needs a new ignition lock. Must order from Volvo by VIN, so there are no security issues with different keys. There really isn't another real option, Im afraid.

To get it out of the garage, you can pop the shift cable off at the trans to get it in neutral.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
12/7/16 6:52 a.m.

1)Check to make sure its all the way in park, common volvo issue.

2) ignition lock cyl is super common too.

Good luck

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
12/7/16 7:52 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: To get it out of the garage, you can pop the shift cable off at the trans to get it in neutral.

some cars have a shifter bypass (not sure what its actually called) that you can use to get it into neutral without a key.

7rx
7rx New Reader
12/7/16 12:40 p.m.

Try pulling the key out and turning it 180° then putting it back in. One side of key might be worn more than the other. I had an old ford that the key would only work one way in it even though it should have both ways. I think the tumblers in the lock were worn just enough for one side not to work.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
12/7/16 3:52 p.m.

If the shifter release button is stuck in a partially engaged position it will prevent the ignition from turning.

Some lube in the ignition lock cylinder may free it up temporarily, it Will fail soon thereafter, so proceed to dealer for $pendy replacement

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
12/7/16 5:24 p.m.

Sticky shifter is more common on the older ones, and it generally stops you from removing the key.

Odd failures on the locks. Perfect, perfect, perfect, broken.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
12/7/16 6:15 p.m.

Yes it is more common on earlier ones but Ive seen it on the later stuff too.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
12/8/16 6:06 p.m.

Is the wheel turned? Many of my cars wouldn't let the key turn if the steering wheel was turned and on the lock. A quick jiggle of the wheel back and forth until the key turned always worked. Worth a try.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XntNruTefXymoMJDeMLhuDphVQOfmt19N3SEzUhosglWd5kQgyEPIeqWAgdgUbbf