CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
12/5/11 9:48 p.m.

My girlfriend is considering getting winter wheels and tires. TPMS sensors add $240 to the price. I know some cars don't like to run without the TPMS sensors, like not being able to turn off the stability control or use cruise control. Does anyone know what happens to the '07 3s when the sensors are not mounted other than the light coming on?

Thanks!

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/5/11 9:52 p.m.

I don't know for the Mazda3 specifically, but I run no TPMS all summer in my WRX. A little piece of black electrical tape on the dash takes care of the light.

That reminds me, now that I have my stockers/winter tires on with the sensors, gotta take the tape off!

Easy way to find out the answer to the question, do just what I did: borrow a non-TPMS wheel and drive around and see if it affect anything.

EvanB
EvanB SuperDork
12/5/11 9:56 p.m.

Was that price through Tirerack? When I worked at a Mitsu dealer we got a lower price on TPMS sensors through Tirerack than we could through Mitsu and they were factory parts.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
12/5/11 9:59 p.m.

You should look for some sensors on ebay. I just picked up a set for my GF's RX-8 for $17.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/5/11 10:05 p.m.

main problem with multiple sets is that you have to reprogram them every time you switch wheels.....either by buying the tool or by going to the dealer.

make sure you write down the transmitter codes on the transmitters before you put on the tires!

IDK why you really need them anyhow unless you're running run-flats. A flat tire is pretty obvious in my experience.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/5/11 10:12 p.m.

My '07 Mazdaspeed3 drives fine without the TPMS on either my snow setup or my summer OZ wheels. TCS and cruise control don't seem to be affected. I've heard that you might be able to get away with one of the TPMS installed in the donut spare.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
12/5/11 10:15 p.m.
irish44j wrote: main problem with multiple sets is that you have to reprogram them every time you switch wheels.....either by buying the tool or by going to the dealer.

Apparently Mazdas (or the RX-8 at least) are supposed to search for new sensor signals and set them automatically. I believe we did this last summer with my GF's car after replacing a sensor. You just need to dive around for 5 mins and the car finds the new sensor frequency.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/5/11 10:17 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: My '07 Mazdaspeed3 drives fine without the TPMS on either my snow setup or my summer OZ wheels. TCS and cruise control don't seem to be affected. I've heard that you might be able to get away with one of the TPMS installed in the donut spare.

the TMPS on Mazdas are only turned on from the centrifugal force of the tire rotating, IIRC. Besides, only one would still trip the light anyhow, since it would think the other three tires are flat.

One thing that some Jeep guys have been known to do is put all 4 TPMS sensors in a custom-made PVC tube, seal the ends, and put some air inside. Then the just let it roll around in the cargo area or something, and it keeps the TPMS off.....

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/5/11 10:33 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote:
irish44j wrote: main problem with multiple sets is that you have to reprogram them every time you switch wheels.....either by buying the tool or by going to the dealer.
Apparently Mazdas (or the RX-8 at least) are supposed to search for new sensor signals and set them automatically. I believe we did this last summer with my GF's car after replacing a sensor. You just need to dive around for 5 mins and the car finds the new sensor frequency.

interesting....I always thought it would make sense if they worked that way.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
12/5/11 11:12 p.m.

We have an 07 Mazda 3s, and for 7 months a year it runs rx8 wheels with no TPMS and it is just fine. The only change is that you will have to get used to the light on the dash.

CGLockRacer
CGLockRacer HalfDork
12/6/11 5:45 a.m.

Awesome, thanks guys! Off to order wheels and tires.

EvanB: That was tirerack price.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
12/6/11 6:08 p.m.

I will find ought shortly when I put the Blizzaks on my 2011 Fiesta. I note that there is a seperate fuse for the TPMS. I may try pulling it and see what happens.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
12/6/11 9:34 p.m.

I have a 2007 Mazda3 S, and have run winter wheels for a couple seasons now without TMPS. I wish I could turn the obnoxious light off, but aside from that, it's no big deal. When I switch back to my summer tires this spring, the light will flash for a few minutes and then it will turn off for several more months.

By the way, Blizzak WS60s are awesome on the 3. They totally transformed mine from utterly undrivable in the snow or on ice to a sure footed and confident mode of transport.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GVvEAynY5piCGzOAU1b5Ty6eHij3Fea5DslYi8MwerLtO9a7Gk6cUn0YNaBTEu6L