Maximuswood
Maximuswood New Reader
2/23/20 3:38 p.m.

I have a 2009 ford crown victoria police int im trying to repair and fix back to the way it was when i bought it.

Current issues i have that i dont know how to fix

▪Alarm p0401

▪Car doesnt pass smog

▪moderate to light ammount of white smoke out of exhaust pipe

▪after about 5-15min of idling, car begins to make ticking sounds or rough idling sounds that come and go

▪car shuts off during idling randomly, not neccesarily when there is ticking

▪random idle accelerations

▪shut off seemed to get worse after sparkplug change and maybe oil change too

Things ive done to try and fix issues

▪oil change ▪spark plug change (debri contamination) ▪air filter change ▪ive swapped out the egr valve with a brand new one, didnt help ▪tested vacum lines to egr, there is suction and the idle is affected by their removal ▪i dont have a dpfe sensor, its integrated into my egr valve, sits on top of it. 

I dont know what all is related to each other, but im hoping this forum helps me to pass smog and to fix idling noises and shutoffs

Maximuswood
Maximuswood New Reader
2/23/20 3:42 p.m.

Maximuswood
Maximuswood New Reader
2/23/20 3:58 p.m.

I tried to get a video just now afternit idled off. Trying to record sounds and capture thenticki by sound that comes and goes, but after 10min, i stopped. So its not always there, and the car idled for a long time without shutting off. So what coukd the issue be that is there but not always there. Is it smog related or related to car shutting off?

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy UltraDork
2/23/20 4:58 p.m.

Here's the first thing Google came up with for error code p0401

Looks like you should start by cleaning/replacing the EGR valve. From there, I'd suggest the usual. Fuel injection cleaner, plugs, Fuel filter, Air filter. Basically, clean the EGR, then all the routine maintenance you can stand.

I've heard surprisingly good things about Seafoam, though I have no positive first hand experience.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/24/20 9:30 a.m.

as an ex-cop car, it probably spent most of it's life idling. I would definitely check the EGR.  As for the white smoke, have you gotten your nose down to it to determine what it smells like, that can answer a lot of questions

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
o1aKyp7e7ydFbU5Fa4kOUSZPJAAIS0coYKJIkN4HpVKLzSufRZv7WM7ACflti6eB