1 2
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/21/18 10:11 p.m.

I actually did a head replacement on a Forenza a few months ago. It had a timing belt idler let go at ~75k. Owner didn't know that a timing belt interval wasn't just miles but also years, so they were just thinking it would be ok until it finally hit 100k or whatever in ~2022. Whoops..

Anyway, i saw whole replacement heads on ebay for ~$500 iirc. I had the one on the car fixed locally (almost all valves replaced, valve job, seals, machined flat) for a bit less because the turnaround was quicker than shipping. If all yours needs is a headgasket of course you could spend much less. I got my gasket set on ebay for cheap. That one came from California in only 3-4 days.

One of the only things i remember being a little odd about the job was the gasket for the water housing on the end of the head. Look carefully at that area before you start pulling or prying on anything. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/27/18 8:10 a.m.

Well, it's mine.  Met the owner yesterday at the bank for the title notarizing and paid my $150.  I'll go pick it up wednesday I think.  Called Uhaul to see about a tow dolly and they quoted $44.90 which seems like a lot for an hour.  I just bum a ride with a friend after work and drive it home.  If it starts to get uncomfortably warm I'll pull over and play on my phone for an hour while it cools.  It's only about 15 miles from point to point.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/27/18 9:00 a.m.

I'd start with a dead cold engine and a bottle of liquid head gasket, follow the instructions, *then* drive it home.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
2/27/18 3:31 p.m.

Just run the heater the whole time and pull over and add more coolant when the heater stops being hot.  This is assuming the engine oil is still engine oil. If it's milkshake then i wouldn't drive it at all over concerns of bearing damage. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
2/28/18 9:29 p.m.

So considering my options and the logistics involved......I just pushed the scaredy cat button and rented a tow dolly from the stupid orange company.  Drama free I dragged my lovely new POS home.

The battery is pretty flat (someone left the dome lights on) so I'll pull it and put it on the charger for a while and try to revive it. Otherwise it's just gonna sit until the Miata moves under it's own power.

Unless someone wants to buy it now.  Bids? devil

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3wZv5N63b78jfWMdNcYGQGU8IYsKzwYHW6T83iUrTu6nhY0nuhe77iCJ38SG6AgT