2 3 4 5 6
Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/20/22 2:48 p.m.
Berck said:

I think it's funny you guys de facto associate big cars with comfort.  I find trying to pilot a typical American-sized boat to be exhausting on anything smaller than an interstate.  Maybe I'm just not old enough yet?  I get so angry when I show up at a car rental counter and get informed that the econobox I reserved has been "upgraded" at no charge to a large sedan, or worse, an SUV.

I never understood this argument, how an extra 5-6 feet of length causes a car to be difficult to drive.  It's like the argument that a manual transmission causes someone to be a more attentive driver. 

In reply to SV reX :

I've never traded in a good car doing this commute. I drive them until they are totaled or rust renders them unsafe. Like you found it really doesn't make sense. I also can get stuck spending a few days at work without notice so having space for some stuff is appreciated as well.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

I haven't seen a manual Verano in person, but I like having the larger non-turbo engine. Having grown up around cars and trucks where turbos were wear items it was one less worry.  In 276,000 miles I've replaced 1 front wheel bearing, an intake cam actuator, a blower motor, and the cat. This thing is an absolute tank that still feels new at well above the speed limit. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/20/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to Berck :

I drove the route a few months ago to check it out.  It will be way better than a half that distance commute is in DFW.  I will probably post many photos of my various cars on the route.  I plan to renew my satellite radio and enjoy the trip.  I can also mentally plan and do that kind of work an route.  My job is literally the first 40 hrs worked in a week.  Chances are I will really get off early one or two days a week.  I need permission to exceed 40 hrs.  My previous job worked a lot of 50-60 hr weeks with some 12 hr days.  This is a huge net benefit for me.  

I think I'm going to spend some time at Carmax and drive a bunch of different cars.  This isn't an emergent issue.  I don't start there until June, and I own 6 cars all of which run and 5 are free and clear with titles.  I can always get where I need to go.

1/20/22 2:58 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

Liter bike and see if it is true that it is limited to 186mph?

No.  On this route that will lead to prison time.  Sometimes, slow is fast. 

1/20/22 3:04 p.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

The vehicle you already have can often be your best bet.

It can be hard to buy your way into savings. 

For those interested, I'm no spring chicken.  I have 10-15 more years until I retire.  Old, though, is always your age plus X number of years.  Your definition changes over time.

I agree.  Anytime I crunch numbers, it's always better to run what I have.  Maybe I will get the IMS solution installed in the Boxster and drive it way more.  It's cozy on trips.

For those spitballing, this commute has no Wal Mart or major conveniences except at the day start and end.  It's literally a scenic drive through rural country everyday and back.  The longer route is interstate and US highway at higher speeds, but why use more fuel and get more miles if the time is identical?  

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
1/20/22 3:17 p.m.

It was mentioned once earlier but Elantra N-Line with the MT gets my vote.  It is my daily so the Mustang can sit and collect dust in the garage and I love it.  A bit over budget for a '21 or '22 but well worth it in my opinion.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/20/22 3:17 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
John Welsh said:

The vehicle you already have can often be your best bet.

It can be hard to buy your way into savings. 

For those interested, I'm no spring chicken.  I have 10-15 more years until I retire.  Old, though, is always your age plus X number of years.  Your definition changes over time.

I agree.  Anytime I crunch numbers, it's always better to run what I have.  Maybe I will get the IMS solution installed in the Boxster and drive it way more.  It's cozy on trips.

For those spitballing, this commute has no Wal Mart or major conveniences except at the day start and end.  It's literally a scenic drive through rural country everyday and back.  The longer route is interstate and US highway at higher speeds, but why use more fuel and get more miles if the time is identical?  

(This is not a defensive post, but spitballing)
I was the one who mentioned WalMart. The reason I did was just out of reasons why a larger car is nice for this type of thing. You can keep things in your car that, if you didn't have and you're an hour from home, you'd have to run to Wally World for. Nobody likes to run to Wally World.

Also, on the interstate vs backroads: Before you leave, every day, each way, pull up Waze and plug in your destination. My commute before the plague had 3 different routes that I could take (4 if you were getting really creative). They were all within 10 minutes of each other, but on any given day, an accident or construction could make one of them double without notice. Pulling up Waze before leaving would save me a lot of frustration.

Berck
Berck New Reader
1/20/22 3:25 p.m.

Awesome--sounds like you're in a great spot.  I'll be interested to hear what you think about it after a few months then a few years.  I'm 100% remote now, and while I love having the extra 2 hours/day, I miss that I don't drive as much now.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/20/22 5:00 p.m.
Berck said:

I think it's funny you guys de facto associate big cars with comfort.  I find trying to pilot a typical American-sized boat to be exhausting on anything smaller than an interstate.  Maybe I'm just not old enough yet?  I get so angry when I show up at a car rental counter and get informed that the econobox I reserved has been "upgraded" at no charge to a large sedan, or worse, an SUV.

I daily used to put 300+ miles per day on. Rarely less. ( I covered 3 states Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin).  I tried every combination  from Small British sports cars, to all sorts of sedans both big and little German, British, Japanese. 
   A Corvette, ( which wasn't bad but I needed to daily adjust the load to carry the needed materials)  
I finally bought a pickup. That turned out to be the best.   Back aches went away.  I was refreshed , with the aide of books on "tape" time flew by my mind focused on the story or information.  Not the discomfort of sitting in one spot for so long. 

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody MegaDork
1/20/22 5:23 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I haven't seen a manual Verano in person, but I like having the larger non-turbo engine. Having grown up around cars and trucks where turbos were wear items it was one less worry.  In 276,000 miles I've replaced 1 front wheel bearing, an intake cam actuator, a blower motor, and the cat. This thing is an absolute tank that still feels new at well above the speed limit.

Honestly, I'd never even heard of a Verano until recently. If the 2.4 car was available with a manual I'd be interested, but this looks like an OK place to spend some time.

People are often surprised my vehicles have manual trans. I always tell them I never learned to drive an automatic

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/20/22 5:39 p.m.

Big vs small...

- On long hauls on interstate style roads, I am almost always more comfortable in a bigger vehicle. 
- In a city?  Definitely not. I'd rather not maneuver my truck through traffic. It's a lot of work. (With 150 miles worth of commute, I definitely did not add the OP was driving in a city)

- Rolling country roads?  Probably bigger. If it's a road that uses the cruise control, bigger is more comfortable for me. 
- A twisty mountain road?  Oh hell no!  I absolutely want to be in the most nimble car I can find that has a a manual shift!

1/20/22 6:30 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

This thread is about spitballing.  It's one of the things I value about this forum.  I'm looking for ideas I may not have considered.  No offense on my end at all.  I appreciate all of the input so far and thoughts.  I hope others are finding them useful as well.  I really like that we can discuss car things for all angles around here and that most often it stays civil.  Now that doesn't mean we all always agree. 

1/20/22 6:31 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

This is definitely some highway and "rolling country road" is probably appropriate too: no mountains, not many sharp curves, and super light on traffic. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/20/22 9:10 p.m.

That's pretty much what I ride all the time.  

For me, long haul comfort on those roads is about cruise control and long wheelbase. 

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
1/20/22 9:17 p.m.

I find that big and comfy cars make me sleepy on long trips. Switching to the zx2 helped a lot because it's basically fun at all speeds

mechanicalmeanderings
mechanicalmeanderings New Reader
1/20/22 9:54 p.m.

Also, on the interstate vs backroads: Before you leave, every day, each way, pull up Waze and plug in your destination. My commute before the plague had 3 different routes that I could take (4 if you were getting really creative). They were all within 10 minutes of each other, but on any given day, an accident or construction could make one of them double without notice. Pulling up Waze before leaving would save me a lot of frustration.

quoted for truth from mtn 

when I drove 200 miles/ day on my commute (F250 xlt - company paid for the diesel) I checked map's everyday, and each direction, one accident could blow up my commute!

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/20/22 10:06 p.m.

It's a very nice place to spend time as long as you're not sitting in the back.  It's got a longish wheelbase for a compact car but the back is a bit cramped.  The only option I wish I had gotten was heated seats but it was a leftover and I couldn't beat the price.  I paid $19,900 new with a sticker price of almost $27K.  

bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter)
bearmtnmartin (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
1/21/22 2:05 a.m.

Tesla

oldcpecdr
oldcpecdr New Reader
1/21/22 2:07 a.m.

Sounds like you need a commuter appliance...... in our family we use Camry's for that (three of them). Unbreakable, comfortable, and 300K easily if treated right.

Leaves plenty of unspent maintenance money to buy the "fun" cars when not commuting.

The four cylinder is bulletproof and  at 75 on cruise on the highway who cares if it isn't particularly fast.

I have a 12 state sales territory and have used up three Camry's..... turn on the heat or air, plug in an Audible Book and you are good to go for your 1ong commute.

Make sure you get one with power drivers seat.... 

My current daily is a little bit of an oddity , a six speed manual Camry that just turned 170,000  -about halfway of it's life span.  

Mike B

Rigante
Rigante Reader
1/21/22 5:19 a.m.

did you guys get 2wd VW passats/ Audis in 2.0 Diesel form? 

60mpg, big enough to survive a knock, plentiful so not too expensive. Might be worth a go.

That 2+ hours a day could let you learn a new language, listen to loads of audio books etc. Getting a 2 for one use out of that time makes the whole thing better value

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
1/21/22 7:24 a.m.

If you can find one (2016 was last year with it), Mazda CX-5 w/6 speed manual was one of the better highway vehicles I've had. I used to commute almost 70 miles round trip a day in it and no issues. Would do 75 on the highway all day long and mid 30s mpg solid.

bigeyedfish
bigeyedfish Reader
1/21/22 8:23 a.m.

I spent about ten years with a pretty long commute.  Most of the time I drove small, cheap cars.  Some of the time trucks, mid size cars, motorcycles, etc.  I now work about ten minutes from my house, but most recently I was spending a couple hours a day in a 2000 Camry.  It was the most boring car in the entire world, but I have to admit that it was exactly what I needed for that commute.  MPG's could have been better, but it was practically never broken.  At some point the auto transmission lost reverse and OD.  A local salvage yard had a good one for $250, and they delivered it for free.  Cheap car, super reliable, and cheap parts if you need them.  Comfortable enough.

All that said, if I went back to having a long commute, I would be shopping for something more engaging.  Offices are boring enough.  Book-ending your day with a boring commute is rough.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
1/21/22 9:02 a.m.

Did you do the math yet with an EV? Because the answer is still an EV. 

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
1/21/22 9:54 a.m.
tuna55 said:

Did you do the math yet with an EV? Because the answer is still an EV. 

Trying to figure out how that is possible in any possible scenario, considering he already said he loves his truck, and has several other potential vehicles.

Are you avoiding counting the purchase price?

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/21/22 10:15 a.m.

He was talking about buying something anyway. Obviously driving what you already have changes the equation, though you should count the value of what you have in the math - compare keeping and operating what you have versus selling what you have and buying and operating something new. If that's the math in question - the original question was not "which car should I keep and drive" It was "which car should I buy and drive."

I did some math, and at 25mpg and $3/gallon you'll spend about $3600/yr on just gas for this commute. Maintenance will be something given the miles but let's ignore it for now. A Bolt uses 29KHw per 100 miles, so, assuming you pay $.14/KHw which was quoted earlier in this thread, would cost $1218/yr for electricity. So on fuel, you would save $2,382/yr, or $198.50/mo. It's rated for 259 miles range, so as long as you had a 240v circuit in your garage you could charge from you'd be OK just charging at night. But be sure not to forget! I doubt you'd get two days out of it! A big advantage there, though, is you never have to stop at a gas station. You'd be stopping every couple days in a reasonably efficient gas car. That time and inconvenience adds up.

I don't know if any deals are out there on Bolts right now, but a good friend of mine just leased one for less than $200/mo. You'd blow through the mileage limits in no time, so a lease wouldn't be a great idea. But it's interesting to me that his lease payment is less than just what you'd save in fuel operating it.

I've seen plenty of used Bolts in the $20k range. That's a bit over your initial $15k budget but you'd save the difference in fuel in 25 months.

The idea of the 20%-80% range being healthiest for the batteries came up, well that means using 60% of the battery, and the Bolt range is 259 miles. 60% of 259 miles is 155, so you'd be able to charge to 80%, do your 150 mile round trip, and plug back in at 20%. You can set the Bolt to automatically stop charging at 80% in the menus. I don't think it's necessary, but if you wanted to be super gentle on the batteries you could do it.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
1/21/22 10:30 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Pretty sure $3 a gallon fuel is over for a while.  $85 a barrel is now the price of crude and they are talking about $100 a barrel soon.  That puts the price up to $4 a barrel. 

2 3 4 5 6
Our Preferred Partners
hNz8xDd86XDBgcrMitBKR2LuuGtsnznokJDXA6kLZTQhgBjNm3DnAZZB8GVa2Csr