5 6 7
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
6/11/22 6:30 p.m.

Yes, I had my ancient history off by one year. 
1985 = no light
1986 = required light

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/11/22 9:14 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

My MR2 knowledgeable friend said $500+ was the going rate.  

LanEvo
LanEvo Dork
6/12/22 7:25 p.m.

The last car I had for this kind of use was a 1987 Mercedes (W124) 260E sedan. Bought it for $900 and put about $2k in maintenance on top of that. Smooth, quiet, effortless highway cruiser that's totally ignored by the highway patrol. Great handling. Excellent brakes. Dead reliable. Very comfortable seats and excellent ergonomics for my 6'2" and 235 lbs frame.

You can't do much better ... unless you can find a (C124) 300CE coupe. I had a '91 with the twin-cam M104 engine. Everything I loved about the sedan with the added cool factor of a sleek, pillar-less coupe. They just cost a lot more than the sedans and wagons. Here's the AMG version:

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
6/12/22 7:43 p.m.
LanEvo said:

The last car I had for this kind of use was a 1987 Mercedes (W124) 260E sedan. Bought it for $900 and put about $2k in maintenance on top of that. Smooth, quiet, effortless highway cruiser that's totally ignored by the highway patrol. Great handling. Excellent brakes. Dead reliable. Very comfortable seats and excellent ergonomics for my 6'2" and 235 lbs frame.

You can't do much better ... unless you can find a (C124) 300CE coupe. I had a '91 with the twin-cam M104 engine. Everything I loved about the sedan with the added cool factor of a sleek, pillar-less coupe. They just cost a lot more than the sedans and wagons. Here's the AMG version:

My coupe is in the for sale section here, it's not minty but sheesh they are dead nuts reliable

6/12/22 8:11 p.m.

In reply to chandler :

Really cool looking cars.  Time to be honest though, I've never owned a Mercedes.  I may have to at some point.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
6/13/22 8:18 a.m.

Congrats on the Civic!!!  If/when you sell the MR2, I'd like first dibs.  I absolutely lust after those things...I've had a few of them and they are phenomenal.

6/13/22 9:59 a.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

You got it!  I will contact you post challenge if I don't fall in love with it.  I'm going to warn you in advance, it will have graphics like my Subaru. This car needs to stay in the GRM family.  It is a very nice, clean car.  I have all the interior parts saved in case anyone wants to restore it to primarily road use.  

For space purposes, I really would like to get down to two hobby cars and one daily.  I need to focus on rally things and the Camaro.

7/7/22 8:22 p.m.

Okay so update.  My commute is 11 miles of state highway, 12 miles of interstate, 34 miles in a National park, and 18 miles of windy state backroads.  That is one way; home is the reverse.  The Civic Si is a great way to do this trip and the last 1000 miles I averaged about 43 mpg.  

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/7/22 8:52 p.m.

Congrats on the Civic.  Obviously your right foot is lighter than mine.   wink

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
7/7/22 8:53 p.m.

Glad you are enjoying it! 

7/7/22 9:00 p.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Congrats on the Civic.  Obviously your right foot is lighter than mine.   wink

Cruise control !!!!!!   

And since I did 12 rallycross events recently, I have no need for speed on the street.  

APEowner
APEowner UltraDork
7/7/22 9:43 p.m.

That fuel mileage is roughly double that of just about every vehicle I've ever owned with the exception of my motorcycle and, it's still better than what I get with that.

7/7/22 10:49 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Last time I had mileage this good I was riding an SV650.  Now I have cruise, satellite stereo, Bluetooth, hands free phone, sunroof, sport mode, AC and heated seats at my finger tips.  

I also have the best handling FWD car I've ever driven.  The steering feel is only bested by Porsche (and they are not FWD)!  And the shifter is the best cable shifter I've ever rowed, including Porsche.  But to be honest, it blows compared to a Miata shifter.  You can never have it all, but this car is a great car for the reasons I bought it.  

7/7/22 10:51 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

I almost feel like I should post photos of my interstate portion because I usually cruise at 70-72 for that 24 miles a day.  The rest of the commute is 45-55 mph speed limits but I usually drive 2-5 over.  In the long 50, I'm usually doing 7 over and being passed often.  

I also need to get a dash am and start posting photos.  I get to dodge downed trees, wildlife and logging trucks often!  And I pass many Civil War historical markers everyday.  Grants Army marched right along my route from work to home.  

Advan046
Advan046 UberDork
7/7/22 11:11 p.m.

That is a serious commute and the SI is probably the best balance between fun/comfortable/reliable for that. 

I think you made a great choice. I did a similar drive, periodically/not daily, and I found driving those windy back roads can even get scary without a responsive car to dodge those trees and animals.

The mileage you can get running just 55mph is great. 

5 6 7
Our Preferred Partners
G8Q8GtSoBNvffpMRAH5LIQcPB0LEDoekOXnEpuliIwUzVV0PjcNnXbs6YLv1KfWY