AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/25/21 9:20 a.m.

I planned to make Sven a turbo car eventually but for the time being I intended to keep it NA (hehe). As such, when I bought a new clutch, I just bought a good OEM one. I've now had a FM manifold land in my lap so I'm considering going the turbo route now. 

Will the brand new stock clutch likely be OK or do I really need to upgrade?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/21 9:35 a.m.

What's your power goal? I think a good new 1.6 clutch will take about 160-170 rwhp before it'll start to slip. It's not so much the age of the clutch as it is the specification.

And before the pedants light the torches, I know it's really torque we're talking about but most people use peak HP so I'm using it as a shorthand assuming nothing really weird is planned.

AxeHealey
AxeHealey Dork
10/25/21 9:50 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

My power goal is as reliable as possible without being a moving roadblock while making whooshy noises. That is to say 160-170 would be puhlenty at this juncture and maybe forever. I feel like if I find myself wanting more power than that, moving away from the 1.6 probably makes more sense than cramming more boost into it. 

I guess the second part of my question would be, considering I'm going to be doing a clutch job anyway and this will be an endurance car, should I just pony up for the good stuff?  Half of me is saying, you'll be into this car cheap no matter what you do, so pony up. The other half is saying ,this mostly free roller is getting expensive pretty quickly!

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/21 10:22 a.m.

Always get the good stuff for a race car :) It's usually less expensive in the long run.

You could always throw the turbo on there and see how the clutch holds, as the clutch change is a mostly separate job from the turbo install. But if it's an endurance car, I'd probably install something that you never have to think about again. DNF-ing one race is a lot more expensive than a new clutch.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad UltimaDork
10/26/21 10:42 a.m.

With my turbo 1.6 the clutch went bad almost immediately (fleabay special "stage 3").  I dropped in a full ACT streetlight flywheel and full surface clutch disc, sized for a 1.8 car.  Expensive but it should be the last one I need for many years.  Then, a few months later when the 1.6 died and I upgraded the motor to a 1.8 and new bigger turbo, I already had the clutch to handle it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9QSdc1S2kZrRklDbn5pWIMr1k01ir7cJushRno8BzhkO3KRXmGQsmW9ikTWGpMKn