1 2 3 4
Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/23/20 12:28 p.m.

So I had a few minutes during the day today.  The site has a video of Adult Die Cast Racers.  These guys/gals are right into this. They drill out the bottom to get the cars apart and then put them back together!!!  It did not show what they did to rebuild them after modifications, but I would bet ist is a simple solder of the base.  That and some of these people have quite the collections.  Lots and lots and lots of cars, still in original packaging and everything.  Blew my mind.  

I'm still in to purchase and send in if anyone else is.  LOL  

D2W
D2W Dork
1/23/20 1:23 p.m.

This is awesome! It reminds me of the tracks we built as kids. We had orange hot wheels track, and I had a Sizzler oval track with big banked turns like those used in the video. We would run the orange track down the stairs, and transitions to the ovals banked turns. Lots of fun.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/23/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

Send yours in under the $2.00X challenge! I will too! I'll be Turbo $2.00X challenge or something 

I would like to be competitive tho

So more weight, polishing of axles, wheels and lubing the wheels with graphite are in order. 

Mike924
Mike924 Reader
1/24/20 7:21 a.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

Alrighty then.  I saw a 944 Tuirbo in the Walmart bin.  I will see if it is still there, learn to take it apart and see how to lube and put it back together.  I have never done that before.  I should probably get 2 of them.  1 for my collection and one to send in.  

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
1/25/20 12:40 a.m.

I have been thinking about starting a racing league with my track. I have also thought that if I did I would to either build more to the track I already have. Or run two tracks

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/25/20 7:36 p.m.
Volksrodden said:

I have been thinking about starting a racing league with my track. I have also thought that if I did I would to either build more to the track I already have. Or run two tracks

Do it!!!

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
1/26/20 7:48 a.m.

I've been watching videos on how to take these apart and put them back together.  Seems to be quite a following for doing this.  What I may do is what was done in the past with slot cars, and try to use toothpaste as a grease to the axels and see if that gives it some more speed on the track. 

TurboFocus, what if I send the car to you, and then you send them all in together?  Just a thought? 

Back to the Daytona Coverage.  Lambo just caught fire. 

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
1/26/20 11:55 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Ok, I will have to start up a YouTube channel and get a few more things for the track. And i will make some more track as well so the races will be longer too

Volksrodden
Volksrodden Dork
1/26/20 12:37 p.m.

https://youtu.be/LN8r7g6FKyk

Here is the track in real time, as you can see I need to build some more turns to make it a bit longer. 

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
1/26/20 1:23 p.m.

So I was unable to find the 944 I wanted, because I went to a different Walmart.  I did come home with these.

I had to get 2 because of testing purposes.  1 tow cut up and try to make faster, the other just to have for my own small collection

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
1/26/20 7:51 p.m.

Probably has a lower center of gravity than the 944 but much more rear weight bias. See if you can't add weight to the front to try and balance it out. Some tracks might like a rear bias though, like say tracks with jumps since looping out is still unlikely.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/27/20 6:08 p.m.

In reply to Mike924 :

I'm ok with that! I need to go to wallyworld and pick up a couple myself. I've been fighting the DMV trying to not get fined by the city i live in.

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/27/20 6:09 p.m.
Volksrodden said:

https://youtu.be/LN8r7g6FKyk

Here is the track in real time, as you can see I need to build some more turns to make it a bit longer. 

you'd probably have the best shot at this since i dont actually own any track stuff. It's probably good enough for the "KOTM" races he does

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/27/20 7:17 p.m.
Volksrodden said:

In reply to Javelin :

Ok, I will have to start up a YouTube channel and get a few more things for the track. And i will make some more track as well so the races will be longer too

I would totally mail cars in for your races and promote on my own YouTube! Sounds great!

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/27/20 8:41 p.m.

i just spent $20 on hotwheels... wonderful lol

i planned on $5

got a 70 buick and 61 impala to send in post modifications 

NoBrakesRacing
NoBrakesRacing Reader
1/27/20 10:27 p.m.

I like where this is going, just built a car for my son's pinewood derby and enjoyed doing so. 

03Panther
03Panther Reader
1/27/20 10:46 p.m.

My folks wouldn't spend the money on the cool HotWheels, so I got the cheaper Matchbox stuff in the late 60's. I just got all of mine when my Mom sold the house last year. I'd have to weigh them... some of the industrial trucks are heavy.

My wife was just asking the other day what I was going to do with them...

Love the $2.00 Challenge!

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/27/20 11:24 p.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

now we just need to rope in OldGrey320i into the loop, he named the $2.00 challenge.

these will be my participants:

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/27/20 11:39 p.m.

Is the $2.00 challenge official?

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/27/20 11:49 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

yes, but I'm not sure if we're sending them to volkrodden or the youtube guy, 3dbotmaker

Mike924
Mike924 HalfDork
1/28/20 6:39 a.m.

I guess I need to get off my butt and start working on this.  I'll need to go through my oils and compounds to see what can make the wheels spin better.  Maybe the anti-sieze compound.  Hmmmm.  

Who best to send these to is the next question as well.  I might make another trip to the store and pick up some other cars.

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
1/28/20 6:48 a.m.

I would totally be up for this!

Would we have GRM people only runs? Or be up against other folks online?

TurboFocus
TurboFocus HalfDork
1/28/20 7:25 a.m.

In reply to Shadeux :

Well, if we send it to volksradden, only grm I'd assume. 

3dbotmaker YouTube would be against more serious hot wheels racers, as silly as that sounds

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
1/28/20 8:32 a.m.

In reply to TurboFocus :

I'd be all in on volksradden's track. While the 3dbotmaker videos are cool, he had hundreds of thousands of subscribers, so the chances of us getting an all GRM class is low.

Shadeux
Shadeux HalfDork
1/28/20 8:42 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

I think you're right. It would be more fun to keep it local.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0VN05ZlkBsaQJ00TOoD5bI7xiK8A6SwuJ3tip9BvsimzlG9pEcDEhzm7ING6MEEj