759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/20/19 7:36 p.m.

'fix things' nothing serious I hope.......Hey what does LARK weigh?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/20/19 7:40 p.m.

"torque curve" more like "torque table top".  Very very cool.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/20/19 7:56 p.m.
759NRNG said:

'fix things' nothing serious I hope.......Hey what does LARK weigh?

No. Simple stuff. Need to get rid of the stock coils and go to LS coils. Stock coils are difficult to tell when they are correctly seated.

This isn't an absolute must, but I would like to convert to a boost referenced regulator. It will make my injectors go a bit further.

There are a few other minor things, but overall it was a success. I learned soooo much! 

3000 pounds with me in it.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/20/19 7:57 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

Thanks. That's how they are from the factory. Very flat torque curve.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
1/21/19 3:14 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

"torque curve" more like "torque mesa".  Very very cool.

FTFY

awesome job, keep up the good work!

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
1/21/19 5:40 a.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I seriously had no idea any engine was capable of a dyno plot that flat!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/21/19 6:18 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

I'm sure a lot of diesels are like that. This thing definitely pulls like one.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/21/19 6:18 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Thanks man!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
1/21/19 7:28 a.m.
TheV8Kid said

No. Simple stuff. Need to get rid of the stock coils and go to LS coils. Stock coils are difficult to tell when they are correctly seated.

This isn't an absolute must, but I would like to convert to a boost referenced regulator. It will make my injectors go a bit further.

There are a few other minor things, but overall it was a success. I learned soooo much! 

3000 pounds with me in it.

What crank sensor did you end up using to get it working with mega squirt? 

Looks and sounds great, that fellow running the dyno looks a little sloppy though.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/21/19 8:52 a.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

The 08 cranks sensor worked like a charm. The trouble was finding the right plug, and pinout. 

Yeah. He's a good guy! 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/21/19 9:22 a.m.

I love interesting engine swaps

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
1/21/19 9:41 a.m.

Phat torque curve, dude!

bluej
bluej UberDork
1/21/19 9:47 a.m.

outstanding laugh

I was catching up to the end and about to ask if the stock coils are logic-level triggered like the LS coils, but I'm guessing based on your last comment that they are. confirmed? other than the seating issue, how do they compare to the LS coils?

where/how did you start and tune the ignition map?

thanks!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/21/19 1:17 p.m.

In reply to bluej :

On a couple of the hits we had an issue with ignition breakup. I'm not sure if it was due to overheating the coils or if they were not seated right. They were performing really well for 16 of the 19 Dyno runs, but I have much more experience with LS coils, and know they are reliable, so I am going to convert.

The base fuel map and timing tables I pulled from one of the tunes from the sloppy mechanics website. It is an excellent resource. I highly recommend it.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
1/21/19 7:08 p.m.

Sounds great. I bet it’s a blast to drive!

Run_Away
Run_Away Dork
1/21/19 11:21 p.m.

Watching your car on the Sloppy youtube channel now, congrats!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/22/19 9:52 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

It is. Thanks!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/22/19 9:52 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

Thanks, man!

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/22/19 1:31 p.m.

Saw the sloppy video. Only GM can take a mathematically-balanced engine and SOMEHOW put a shake in it. It's like Pratchett's "Bloody Stupid Johnson" ran a company.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/22/19 7:03 p.m.

I was digging through old photos. I've been wanting to do a boost inline 6 for quite a while. These photos are from 7 years ago. Funny thing the inline 6 in the photo was a 250, and I ended up with a 254 inline 6.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/22/19 7:18 p.m.

Hey i have that m90 now

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/22/19 8:00 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Yeah. You do! I'm glad it didn't work out for me. I would have blown that 250 up for sure! I had no idea what I was doing back then!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/22/19 8:34 p.m.

V8Kid ...great progress , but what is this 'coils not seated' right situation???? something i should concern myself 

on the Bravada??

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/22/19 9:08 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

It's probably fine. Just worn out coils, that have been removed and installed a bunch of times. We had to mess around with the coils a couple times when checking plugs, because they didn't seem to seat right. I don't know if maybe the new spark plugs I put in had a slightly different design or what. 

All I know is LS coils don't have that issue. They very clearly click when you install the spark plug wires. Atlas coils don't.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Reader
1/23/19 11:07 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:

I was digging through old photos. I've been wanting to do a boost inline 6 for quite a while. These photos are from 7 years ago. Funny thing the inline 6 in the photo was a 250, and I ended up with a 254 inline 6.

Oh THAT looks neat. Why didn't it work out?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9v22nBbeiipYh2rOvJvKiV7bAaF0o74tII3ppWBqM11pcRZRhAjezuhLqmFTmYNJ