Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
8/31/08 4:44 p.m.

All right, what have I done. Take a look at my new Bug. This rusty old car thing seriously must be an honest to God addiction or disease, there should be a telethon or something for guys like us. Haven't brought it home yet but take a look. I'm definitely thinking Volksrod. My wife wasn't too thrilled, if I want to run this in a future Challenge, do I have to include the Nikon SLR digital camera I had to buy her in my Challenge budget?

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
8/31/08 6:36 p.m.

dose'nt look to bad.my floor dose/did look worse, it is still in the shop for it. (there going on week six for a one week job). And your wife will grow on the bug. Dont Volksrod it to quickly and she'll probly come around. Nice score!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
8/31/08 8:35 p.m.

I like it...........but you certainly have some work ahead of you.

jdmae92
jdmae92 New Reader
9/1/08 2:08 a.m.

Volksrod with a ragtop to get rid of that sunroof. Thats what I would do.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
9/2/08 11:54 a.m.

I've looked at a lot worse.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
9/2/08 12:18 p.m.

Cool car! It's crusty, but as clean as anything unrestored you'd find here in New England. +1 for a sliding ragtop to get rid of the drop-in sunroof.

oldschoolimport
oldschoolimport New Reader
9/2/08 12:51 p.m.

doesn't JCWhitney still sell every piece of sheet metal on the beetle? the last time I looked thru one, I was amazed at how much they still had available.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
9/2/08 1:08 p.m.

Yeah...self-pity not warranted!

Looks like a heckuva score. PLEASE keep us posted on progress. There aren't enough cool build threads here!

Cool, cool, cool!
Clem

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
9/3/08 7:17 a.m.

The plan right now is a Volksrod with a slider roof. I'm thinking lowered and extended beam, but no chop at present. I think a chop may be out of my leauge for the time being. But I'm thinking it will be sort of a "hi-boy" looking V-rod.

The pics shown already have a few hours of my work in them. The second time I went to look at it, I emptied all the spare parts from inside the car. Then tore out all the 70's green house carpet and dry rotted house padding. Then removed the "custom" wood deck in the rear. Took my shop vac and cleaned it completely out as well. Did all this just so I could get a better idea of the rust I'd be dealing with. Turns out it was better than I initially thought. I told the guy what I was going to do and told him no matter what I'd be making the car more sale-able for him. Good way to get to know a car before you buy it if you got the time.

I had $50 in Amazon rewards, so yesterday I ordered up the Muir book, a Bently manual, How to Rebuild a VW Engine and How to Hot Rod a VW Engine all for free. Seems like an interesting design from what I've read so far, I'm excited to learn about these things.

petegossett
petegossett Dork
9/3/08 10:00 a.m.

Mid America Motorworks has a bunch of resto parts for them too, but they're a bit pricey. If you're close enough that you can pick up the parts at their retail store the difference you save in shipping can be worth it though.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Reader
9/3/08 5:39 p.m.

TURBOMANIA, is also anethor good book its written by Bob Tomlinson. I pick up copy from Larry off road center inc. in Dayton or you can go to larryoffroad.com 937-275-9501 By the way (if your inthe neiborhood) they are having a carshow/SWAPMEET this weekend at there showroom last year the swap meet wasnt to big. But it was still better than going to work.

Jax2A
Jax2A HalfDork
9/14/08 4:55 p.m.

Day started out good. Went and worked on my new bug for a couple of hours. Got the wheels free-ed up so it rolls now and took measurements for making an adapter for my tow bar. Now I'm sitting around waiting for the rest of my roof to blow off. Vent cap is currently half ripped off and hanging and blowing around. Have already lost a ton of shingles and a bunch more have lifted. Now I want more to blow off to make an insurance claim worth while.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gM185x830YftjkFvhhBxoqW7P8BALQFpI0geomS9Srh9FaFgHsRxONWEjWGvf1pM