1 2
stan
stan UltraDork
6/4/15 10:52 a.m.

I have a chance to buy -cheaply, of course- a 1973 BMW Bavaria. I know diddly-sqat about them and so look to you informed folks for direction. I love the way they look, but puppies -even free ones- are cute too and we know how that story goes...

Stan

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
6/4/15 11:01 a.m.

I can supply you with your choice of powertrain if needed.

1.6 Miata with trans
13b Rotary with trans
Volvo Turbo redblock with manual trans.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
6/4/15 11:04 a.m.

I have a spare 8100 that needs rebuilt, that would be great in there....

Lol

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 11:10 a.m.

Oh man, finally something in my wheelhouse. Do it!

I've had Bavaria's for the past 10 years, one of the best "drivers" sedans of the 70's for sure. They are light for how much space they have, somewhere around 3K lbs depending on options. Strut front suspension, semi trailing arm rear with struts, 4 wheel disk brakes with 4 piston calipers on the front, 2 piston in the rear. The mechanicals are very simple and robust. The M30 engine in the Bavaria was used from 1969 to something like 1991? So, plenty of easy upgrades to be found for the engine, later fuel injection, etc. They will run forever if you don't overheat them. My first Bavaria had 260K on it and ran perfect, stock bottom end with probably a valve job done at some point. My second was on the stock engine until 180K when I decided to swap in a V8, it's cool, but I can't recommend that project. Here's my build thread on that

BMW Bavaria M62 swap

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
6/4/15 11:28 a.m.

And no one mentions rust.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 11:29 a.m.

Depending on your plans for the car, there isn't a giant aftermarket. Bilstein makes struts for them, there are lowering springs available, and urethane bushings as well. I believe Ireland engineering makes sway bars for them as well, they make most of what's available. But, it's a solid car to begin with, larger wheels and good tires transforms them. They were BMW's "full size" car of that period, so they are good sized, but probably share the wheelbase of a one series now...

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
6/4/15 11:29 a.m.
benzbaronDaryn wrote: And no one mentions rust.

This!

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 11:34 a.m.

Yes, rust, check for that. Where has the car lived?

Slippery
Slippery Dork
6/4/15 12:20 p.m.
EvanB wrote: I can supply you with your choice of powertrain if needed. 1.6 Miata with trans 13b Rotary with trans Volvo Turbo redblock with manual trans.

1.6 on a Bavaria? Why?

The M30 is the only engine that should go on that car. Its a torque monster and a lot of fun.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
6/4/15 12:21 p.m.

Also, seeing that you are in Ohio ... If its not rusted (I doubt it), it will soon.

stan
stan UltraDork
6/4/15 1:15 p.m.

Not sure how long the cars have been in Ohio, but more than a couple of Ohio winters on the road for a 37 year old car would be enough to kill it. And I hate rust. And yes "cars" now as he has a parts car to go along with the sale. bmwbav, seeing what you car looks like certainly shows me the potential of these and looks great! I don't have your skills though, so would have to keep it stock-ish. I might be able to look at them soon, but if I pass, does anyone else want the info?

thanks guys!

oh, and the 1.6 is probably from an old, rusty friend Evan and I drove around a bit.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
6/4/15 1:31 p.m.
Slippery wrote:
EvanB wrote: I can supply you with your choice of powertrain if needed. 1.6 Miata with trans 13b Rotary with trans Volvo Turbo redblock with manual trans.
1.6 on a Bavaria? Why? The M30 is the only engine that should go on that car. Its a torque monster and a lot of fun.

I'm just trying to clean out my garage.

oldtin
oldtin UberDork
6/4/15 1:33 p.m.

I had a 73 bav. loved that car. A lot of drivetrain will swap over from e28s. With some mods even the rear subframe. They are pretty vulnerable to rust and there isn't a good supply of replacement panels. I'd love to have another with an S38 engine

stan
stan UltraDork
6/4/15 1:43 p.m.
EvanB wrote:
Slippery wrote:
1.6 on a Bavaria? Why? The M30 is the only engine that should go on that car. Its a torque monster and a lot of fun.
I'm just trying to clean out my garage.

...can't believe you still haven't found something to put that 13b into yet....

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
6/4/15 1:46 p.m.

Well I found something but it is sitting in the garage being used as a shelf currently.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 2:02 p.m.

Again, do it! :)

Watch for rust in critical areas, front and rear strut towers mostly. My car has been in California for a long time, so it's pretty clean. They are great cars and underappreciated in comparison to the 2002 and Coupes(E9) from that period of BMW. They have great vintage looks inside and out, while having a very modern driving feel. A later 3.5L engine from an E28 or E34 essentially swaps right in and provides plenty of power, so you don't need major work to make these fun.

stan
stan UltraDork
6/4/15 2:13 p.m.

I'm going to go look next week sometime.

bmwbav, "critical areas" being....suspension in particular or other unknown-to-me areas? I see body panels are not easy to come by, so any options there?

(and thanks).

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
6/4/15 3:13 p.m.

In reply to EvanB:
You can post, or PM me prices on your engines and transmissions if you're serious about cleaning out the garage. I'm still without a power train for my Challenge Corolla.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
6/4/15 3:38 p.m.

I'll just leave these here...

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 3:42 p.m.

For critical rust areas that you can see, the top of the strut towers under the hood, in the trunk, look at the strut towers there. Also take a look under the rear of the car, there are points at each side where the subframe mounts to, right in front of the rear wheel wells.

For body panels, the rear corners of the front doors can rust, also the very tip of each front fender. But, if you get a parts car, you should be able to put something together assuming the structural stuff is decent.

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 3:47 p.m.

For body panels, back to the underappreciated bit, you can find parts cars here and there on craigslist.

The racing Bavaria above is awesome, the owner runs a BMW shop here in the bay area. I believe he won the targa newfoundland two years in a row in it's class. It's a very cool car, Franken Bavaria

bmwbav
bmwbav Reader
6/4/15 3:50 p.m.

Oh, he won the targa three years in a row...

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
6/4/15 4:18 p.m.

Bavaria's were just mentioned as a "buy it now" classic in Classic Motorsports. I had an opportunity at this one, the successor to the Bavaria. Still wish I would have done it.

photo bmw2.jpg

photo bmw4.jpg

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
6/4/15 10:08 p.m.

In reply to mattmacklind:

I think the 3.0 Si was a bit of an upgrade trimwise too. Leather,power windows, etc.

yupididit
yupididit Reader
6/5/15 2:24 a.m.

I don't know much about these cars. But, I've seen this car. I'm going to assume it's a Bavaria.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pRmOf2Dc3SEkBLCtY3NlOYgdfR1Qg7s1ECKuAnP9j8BVxNY5MQ6FKWC5exo4a5Fd