anchovi
anchovi
6/21/12 7:56 p.m.

Hi, super noobie here.

My uncle recently bought a 1988 Porsche 928 S4. It wasn't in the best conditions...definitely a good find though!

He has a couple years of experience in automotive mechanical work but lacks knowledge in uncommon cars. I've helped him out a bit in replacing a couple parts here and there for this particular car which brings me to the ABS light.

The ABS light is on. My uncle suspects that it has to do with the disconnected wires under the hood.

Below is a a picture i took of the car's under-hood sytem. Labels "A" - "K" are disconnected wires which my uncle believes are part of the vehicle's ABS system. Except for labels "F" and "G".

The following labels are indentical on both sides (LEFT & RIGHT) of the under-hood sytem: Labels "A" & "K" are a group of 5 wires. Labels "B" & "H" are dual wires wrapped in black plastic. Labels "C" & "I" are also dual wires wrapped in black plastic. Labels "E" & "J" seem to be ground wires.

(Ps. I know very little about automotive technology in general so i ask you guys to please bare with me.)

• Label "A" (closer look below): a group of 5 disconnected wires.

We think that two wires from label "A" are supposed to be connected to label "B" using some kind of connector bridge. That leaves three wires left. Two of them possibly go connected to label "C."

Label "B" : Two disconnected wires wrapped in black plastic. Label "C" : Also two disconnected wires wrapped in black plastic.

The last wire from label/group "A" possibly needs to be connected to label "E"

Label "E" (Below): Very certain that this wire is ground. Label "D": Unknown Male Connector. (Please Help Identify)

• of course...this is a just basic idea. We don't know exactly what wires correspond to each other since they don't seem to be color cordinated nor do we know if that would even be a solution. (What are your thoughts?)

Label "F" (Below): Unknown Female (?) Connector. (Please Help Identify)

Label "G" (Below): Unknown Wires.

My uncle says the two wires from Label "G" may be for some sensor that's missing since they lead back to the harness. (What are your thoughts?)

Labels "H, I, J & K" (Below): Identical Wires to the ones on the left side.

The basic solution i proposed for the left side, if correct, would apply to the following right-sided wires: (What are your thoughts?)

Input from anyone on this forum that has a bit of knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciated!!

• Anchovi
T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/21/12 8:02 p.m.

Awesome first post. I can't help you, but sit tight and I bet someone will be able to. Of course we are going to need more shots of the car.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
6/21/12 8:05 p.m.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
6/21/12 8:45 p.m.

I can't help, but I'm also impressed at how much work you put into that. There's a couple of folks here that just dragged home a 928, hang with us for a minute until one of them sees your post.

As an aside, it scares me to death to see a car that complicated (electrically) with so many connectors missing..I'm wishing y'all the best!

dyintorace
dyintorace UltraDork
6/21/12 8:53 p.m.

Nothing to add other than I'm amazed at the complexity of that engine bay as well. Wow.

skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
6/22/12 7:02 a.m.

"F" Looks like fuel injector connector. Porsche usually uses uses the color Brown for ground - Brown with Red Stripe is Constant +12. Suggest finding your local Porsche Club of America chapter and bond with the 928 drivers (there's at least one). Congratulations on your find - wish I could be so lucky!

jrw1621
jrw1621 PowerDork
6/22/12 7:17 a.m.

I too commend your photo skills. You did a nice job of illustrating the issues.

On the other hand I find this sentence an interesting contradiction.

anchovi said: It wasn't in the best conditions...definitely a good find though!
skywalker01
skywalker01 New Reader
6/22/12 8:32 a.m.

In reply to anchovi:

Post OBE - looks like you have been to rennlist

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q9TNnURlT10Blr7C9hSvXnfOPtkqr5EaCaQkWdhK7iIWfgPDuAkriUXXl1frObIg