1 2
jefnvk
jefnvk New Reader
9/17/18 9:39 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Maybe we just got distracted? Certainly any of the V8 Mustangs, or even the modern V6 ones 

Standing start of 30 V8 pony cars? Yes please. 

Ha, no, I led off in the C4 direction, it was already the path I was leaning towards.  I'll have another Mustang in my garage someday, but the biggest thing inhibiting that now is the fact that by and large, Mustangs are not garage queens in Michigan, and rust has gotten ahold of most of the 15+ year exampkes (same with Miatas).  I have yet to see a truly rusted Corvette.  Especially as I narrow down specific years and packages, I just don't see where the cost to benefit is, especially when you factor in ABS lacking on older models that I want for autox, just figured there would be more proponents!

And yes, 30 Mustangs galloping of would indeed ve a glorious sound!

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
9/17/18 10:42 p.m.

There's a coupla C4's for less than 4k out here in Nor Cal:

First, a 90 with 80k on the clock for 1900 bucks! Yes, I posted it in the $2018 Classy's. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1990-chevy-corvette/6695390925.html

And then a 91 with some undefined number miles. Looks pretty good though: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1991-corvette-6spd-clean-title/6690772716.html

They're both fairly local to me so if you're interested, I'd be happy to take a look at 'em.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
9/18/18 8:01 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Corvette is a big sports car. Miata is a little sports car. Mustang is a different animal all together from either one. Fun as hell, but decidedly not a sports car. 

I'd say the recent IRS Mustangs are sports cars, but I don't think those would fit in his budget.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/18/18 8:32 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

Hop in a new Camaro and  new Corvette. They're darn close performance wise, especially at normalish speeds, but the have a much different feel to them. 

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/18/18 10:36 a.m.

I didn't see anything that you absolutely have decided on a Corvette or a Miata. But in your price range can find some pretty nice Porsche 944. Just a thought.  Handles like a dream with relatively minor suspension mods.

EDIT...OOOPS. just saw where you at eliminated 944 I guess. Might want to reconsider

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/18/18 12:44 p.m.

Pretty much any RWD car can be set up to teach throttle control. It's largely just a matter of what speed you want to be going when learning it. I had a stock 1.6L Miata on crap all-season tires that was a throttle-control-lesson extravaganza on a tight (kart track) autox. It was F-U-N, but certainly not fast. One advantage a Mustang would have over a C4 in this regard, is that it's easier to under-tire a car on 8" wide wheels than 9.5" wide wheels.

jefnvk
jefnvk New Reader
9/18/18 1:54 p.m.
rdcyclist said:

There's a coupla C4's for less than 4k out here in Nor Cal:

First, a 90 with 80k on the clock for 1900 bucks! Yes, I posted it in the $2018 Classy's. https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/1990-chevy-corvette/6695390925.html

And then a 91 with some undefined number miles. Looks pretty good though: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/1991-corvette-6spd-clean-title/6690772716.html

They're both fairly local to me so if you're interested, I'd be happy to take a look at 'em.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm not buying right this moment, it'll be Nov-Dec timeframe when people realize they don't want to store it all winter and my year end bonuses start rolling in.  Just trying to shakedown what I really want now and get a good grasp of the market.

May consider selling the motorcycle too and up the budget, which would toss me right into the middle of C5 pricing.  Its already the odd toy out with a boat, a car isn't gonna help it get ridden more.

jefnvk
jefnvk New Reader
9/18/18 1:56 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

I didn't see anything that you absolutely have decided on a Corvette or a Miata. But in your price range can find some pretty nice Porsche 944. Just a thought.  Handles like a dream with relatively minor suspension mods.

EDIT...OOOPS. just saw where you at eliminated 944 I guess. Might want to reconsider

No, I'm still wide open to suggestions.  C4/5 seems to be sitting up top of the leaderboard, while Miatas seem to be trending down for now, but if you want to make a case for 944s I'm all ears!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/18/18 3:45 p.m.

In reply to jefnvk :

Truth be known I would choose option to save a little more money, get rid of some seldom-used toys, and buy a C5. Way more performance han you'll ever see 4 around 9 or $10,000.

Pcar parts can be pricey unless you have a parts car or three.

jefnvk
jefnvk New Reader
9/18/18 7:47 p.m.
Ovid_and_Flem said:

In reply to jefnvk :

Truth be known I would choose option to save a little more money, get rid of some seldom-used toys, and buy a C5. Way more performance han you'll ever see 4 around 9 or $10,000.

Pcar parts can be pricey unless you have a parts car or three.

Entirely possible.  Its another part of the reason I'd prefer to wait to winter to buy, not as likely to jump at the first thing to come up while theres still time to race it, I can be patient.  Ive seen a few C5s in my local area for mid $8s now, just gotta decide if I really want to bump it up that much.  If they drop/negotiate down to mid $7s, its a no brainer, but even $8500 is a more significant jump from my first original grassroots friendly budget of $3500.

And even the selling of the motorcycle would be more to placate the wife of me buying a nicer car than needing of the actual cash, I'd consider a much nicer Corvette or modern Mustang if her opinion wasn't considered!

jefnvk
jefnvk New Reader
11/29/18 9:27 a.m.

Just a followup, because I always appreciate reading about resolutions: while I was planning on waiting until the spring, wound up picking up a local eBay $2800 1992 C4 last night.  It is about what you'd expect a $2800 Corvette to be like, interior isn't the greatest, but the body and drivetrain is in good shape,  Only drawback was it was an auto, but that isn't an impediment to the main purpose and looks to be a decent base for an AutoX project.

Now, to use the money I saved to get the corners how I actually want them BEFORE spring, which I am sure will spawn a question/build thread (once I sit downand really figure out what class I want to play in).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pDBZYdftjb8TOvB5XCwvIXNnBbvQ8y5stfnbMElibwUKwBl8lw5Gip0z9L5WruHF