problemaddict
problemaddict Reader
1/23/11 9:12 p.m.

GSX-R Hillclimb car and gifted driver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY7_xtAVY8k&feature=player_embedded

What car is that? I followed the website but don't read spanish. I'll have to hit up Google Translate, but I thought ya'll would enjoy the vid...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
1/23/11 9:25 p.m.

This is my favorite hillclimb car.

Powered by a Ford BDA Cosworth and a Helicopter Turbine spinning the turbocharger...supposedly 1700 horsepower.

JoeyM
JoeyM Dork
1/23/11 9:32 p.m.

Google translate says: http://www.pedro-roca.com/el-vehiculo.html

CM Silver-Formula Car The mechanical base is comprised of a motorcycle engine with a maximum of 1,000 cc, located in central position, the chassis is tubular, the gearbox six relations with hexagon body composed of several pieces is made of fiber. This vehicle delivers an approximate power of 185 hp for a weight that is less than 450 kg

I like the indy/FI type looks on the Gould Gr 55

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/23/11 9:43 p.m.

OP: to answer your question, just go to the website listed on the windshield of the car. There's an English version...

http://www.silver-car.com/english/index.htm

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/23/11 9:46 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: This is my favorite hillclimb car. Powered by a Ford BDA Cosworth and a Helicopter Turbine spinning the turbocharger...supposedly 1700 horsepower.

The link says "400 BHP". If it was 1700 hp it would spin the tires all the way up the hill.

corytate
corytate New Reader
1/23/11 9:55 p.m.

i believe we have found out who top gear uk stig mk2 is.
looked like perfect lines the entire run to me

curtis73
curtis73 Dork
1/23/11 10:09 p.m.

three words -

more

rear

camber

Really impressive ride, but he spent too much time with the ass-end wanting to get ahead of the game.

but yes... perfect lines.

... and as a guy who wants to get into amateur racing, I can see why you all tried to steer me away from hillclimb events :)

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/23/11 11:40 p.m.

That guy has serious talant. Wonder if we're looking at a future Senna.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
1/24/11 12:43 a.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Curtis, there's nothing wrong with hillclimbs as long as you know the risks, and there are plenty along the way. At least be consoled you're unlikely to pass stranded cars directly on the course and their lackadaisical drivers.

Watching that video at the 3:00min mark had me shaking my head. WTF was that guy thinking when he casually strolled across the road and then stood in front of his stationary car?

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/24/11 5:05 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote: This is my favorite hillclimb car. Powered by a Ford BDA Cosworth and a Helicopter Turbine spinning the turbocharger...supposedly 1700 horsepower.

That's not a "helicopter" turbine, that's the turbine section off of an Auxiliary Power Unit, or APU for short. They don't provide shaft thrust for anything like a rotor on a helicopter, they spin an alternator and provide bleed air for things like engine starts (for aircraft that can utilize air driven main engine starting), electrical supply for an aircraft, that similar purposes. They're small compared to the main engines on an aircraft or something like a Pratt PT6 that are commonly found on turbine helicopters. Garrett made a lot of these things, now part of Honeywell. So in a way, this guy is using kerosene to power a reversed turbocharger with some tweaks to spin up a turbocharger mounted on a Ford.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg Reader
1/24/11 8:34 a.m.

I believe that Race Car Engineering ran an article on that car (the one with the fired turbo) in early-mid 2010. I can't remember exactly what issue it was, but it was interesting. then again, I'm a massive car nerd and most stuff in that mag is interesting to me, within the realm of the stuff I can actually understand. I'm convinced that career-aerodynamicists and folks who figure out chassis dynamics stop speaking english when they get to work

Flogger00
Flogger00 New Reader
1/24/11 9:44 a.m.

Some of those corner exits had a serious pucker factor. As for the driver/pedestrian @ 3:00 - Yikes!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wPcITbhDXDdiJBgVwxYo1I5kKhYm5bhD127lVZMNn1PSIlAtI8wCYtsz0tjKQwMn