AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
2/19/13 12:37 p.m.

I came across a 2000 Audi TT, manual, AWD, 1.8L, 103k miles, that I am interested in as a 'funner' summer car and to teach my daughter to drive a manual. What things should I be looking for. Any ticking time bombs in this car?

Sky_Render
Sky_Render HalfDork
2/19/13 12:45 p.m.

Coil packs are the first thing that come to mind. Keep a spare or two in the glove box at all times.

turboswede
turboswede PowerDork
2/19/13 12:45 p.m.

another car. walk away from any late nineties to recent VAG products unless you can afford the time and money to do the work yourself and you feel like spending your time fixing it instead of driving it.

I view them all as lease-only vehicles, much like modern BMW's and Mercedes. At the end of the lease turn them in and get another one.

From what I understand it is essentially a Golf in roadster clothing and AWD (Haldex, not Quattro) The engine is one of the good ones, but the electrical system will likely drive you to drink. Heavily.

If you want a more fun summer car and one to teach your daughter with, get a Miata, an S2000, a Sky/Solstice. You'll be happier in the long run in their better durability, reliability and ease of maintenance.

Cone_Junky
Cone_Junky Dork
2/19/13 12:46 p.m.

Oil leaks, vacuum leaks, PCV leaks, coil packs, leaking coolant flanges, bad ECT sensors, bad MAF sensors, worn out tie rod/ends, burnt out clusters, bad thermostats, broken water pump impellers. Other than those common problems, they're great cars

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/19/13 12:52 p.m.

You have to remove the whole under tray to change the oil. Said under tray is held on with something like 248 screws. It also likes to break around the screw holes. The oil that inevitably leaks pools on the under tray and collects dirt building up a terrifyingly flammable sludge. The window and door lock electronics have a habit of working or not depending on their mood. The pretty polished shift knob gets blisteringly hot. There's more.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/19/13 12:52 p.m.

Bizzare electrical issues.

AugustusGloop
AugustusGloop New Reader
2/19/13 1:01 p.m.

Uhhh, ok, mind changed. Thanks for the quick response.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/19/13 1:02 p.m.

Make sure its got all the pixels.

yamaha
yamaha SuperDork
2/19/13 1:10 p.m.

Make sure its had the brake fluid reservoir recall done.....they like to get a bit crispy without that done.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/19/13 1:21 p.m.
AugustusGloop wrote: Any ticking time bombs in this car?

The whole car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
2/19/13 1:21 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: The oil that inevitably leaks pools on the under tray and collects dirt building up a terrifyingly flammable sludge.
yamaha wrote: Make sure its had the brake fluid reservoir recall done.....they like to get a bit crispy without that done.

Drove past the burnt-out shell of an early TT coupe on the highway earlier this year.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
2/19/13 1:31 p.m.

Realistically, (IMO), they aren't any better or any worse than most nicer cars of that era, and certainly better/more entertaining than most cars of equivalent value from the 90's.

Of course, I had the pleasure of helping assemble some show car variants (with over 400whp) so my opinion of them may be biased. Bone stock? Meh, there is better out there. Of course, if the car will actually go to your daughter, in stock form it is the epitome of a girl's car, so it would be perfect for her.

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
2/19/13 3:18 p.m.

I can't remember the last gen 1 TT I saw on the roads, I think most of them must have died a quick and merciful death. I liked the cars when they came out, too bad to hear Audi makes great looking non-functional cars.

fidelity101
fidelity101 HalfDork
2/19/13 3:23 p.m.
93EXCivic wrote:
The whole car.

What to look for?

Another car!

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
2/19/13 4:37 p.m.

I know of a couple in the wild.. both are yellow

J308
J308 Reader
2/19/13 4:55 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
93EXCivic wrote:
The whole car.
What to look for? Another car!

Original!!!

turboswede wrote: another car.
Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
2/19/13 5:11 p.m.

I know someone who has had one for years and as far as I know it hasn't been responsible for any unplanned walks or tow truck rides, I'm sure they aren't all as reliable as that though. I rode in it once, and it did seem like fun.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
2/19/13 7:52 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: I rode in it once, and it did seem like fun.

They are fun. Fun and beautiful. I loved the times my wife let me drive hers. Doesn't mean I'd ever want to own another one though.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UberDork
2/19/13 8:58 p.m.

TTs get a lot better as they get newer, which is why the later cars command higher prices. Apparently by 2003 most of the kinks were worked out and build quality improved a ton. I am sort-of considering one myself as my next car, but I will be going into it with full knowledge of how nightmarish they can be. Luckily I'm good buddies with the local indie VAG mechanic...

Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen
2/19/13 9:41 p.m.

I wrote a buyers' guide to them a few years back for the magazine. I can't remember which issue, but everyone I talked to did not hate them as much as most of the posters in this thread. I personally don't have a lot of love for that era of VAG products, but I think the later ones (and any surviving ones) are probably not too bad.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
igtTHrRpurx2UjHl0OhCmBhSJQ9NUY1ggsS2AUAleMIGfMaxX0ZtU1g3OAgE77Ve