MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
9/11/22 5:13 p.m.

Hello all. I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT, that's 2WD, with the 3.0 V6. It's got 191K MI, and I just got it, so what should I do to it? Hit me with some ideas!!!!!!!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
9/11/22 6:51 p.m.

Oil change, air filter , maybe fluid flush? 
Then drive it for another 100k if you're not in the rust belt. 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
9/11/22 7:01 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Its got rusty rockers.

1SlowVW
1SlowVW HalfDork
9/11/22 7:27 p.m.

In reply to MrStickShift :

It's probably got not a lot left of the front seam under the box...does that matter for inspection where you live? 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
9/11/22 7:51 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

No, it's actually pretty solid underneath for a $800 truck! No I live in Connecticut!

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
9/12/22 4:55 a.m.

I'd get a Motorcraft cam synchronizer to have on hand. The cam synchro is about the only thing that will kill one of those 3.0s and they tend to give up the ghost in the 125-175k range. They typically chirp for awhile before they seize up completely, so you might not have to replace it immediately. But it also wouldn't be the worst idea just to do it and have some peace of mind. The non-Motorcraft parts are consistently trash so don't try to save a buck or you'll be doing the job again in pretty short order.

The throttle cable is probably stretched a bit too, so the "zip tie mod" can rejuvenate that for pennies and make the truck feel much more energetic.

Inspecting the rear drums can't hurt either. The hardware is probably in need of maintenance at a minimum.

Other than that, I'd just drive it and address things as they come up. Wheel bearings, axle bearings, suspension bushings, U-Joints, etc are probably about due and worth inspecting but they'll let you know when it's time. I wouldn't get carried away with replacing them unless they truly need it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/22 10:21 a.m.

First things I did to my Ranger were plugs and wires (I got mine with 89k).  With Ford stuff, always use Ford ignition parts.  Aftermarket stuff doesn't like to play well with FoMoCo components.  They're not really any more expensive.  Some aftermarket stuff has been used with success but don't just grab some MSD wires and Bosch Platinums and expect it to work right.

I also did a $29 Ebay cold air intake.  The factory air box isn't bad, but it does restrict a wee bit.

I also swapped out my 15" ugly wheels with some 16s from a later explorer.  2wd/4wd are interchangeable.  There are some slight differences with early/late 4wd hub bores, but none of that should affect you having a 2wd.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/12/22 10:21 a.m.

And PICS, man!

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
9/12/22 12:52 p.m.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/12/22 4:47 p.m.

That's a nice truck!

Bent-Valve
Bent-Valve Dork
9/13/22 1:18 p.m.

$800 well spent.

I second fluid flush, all of them. While people here on the forum maintain vehicles, many times the general owner just drives the snot out of something and then gets a new one.

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
9/13/22 11:06 p.m.

STM317 nailed on the important points. 

The spring perches rust on these. Make sure the rearmost ones aren't ready to fail or you'll have leaf springs poking through your bed floor.

I bought one from a co-worker to flip. I was appalled at how much of a dog it was with the 3.0 (mine was a 4x4 though). I was going to do a video series on it but some of the later footage got corrupted so there is only the intro video where I mostly make fun of it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7Ua1zCSaajZu5p4agvABufQZoWmVWHOH52eYqev48HFZ4UEQhxYavL8uyRkPp073