TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/9/18 8:09 p.m.

Only a momentary slip between 3rd and 4th gears, pulls from a stop and shifts through the rest of the gears well. How expensive could this be?

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
9/9/18 8:28 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

whole trans replacement or rebuild needed most likely, these transmissions had terrible reliability. Odyssey's and Accords would consume them in high enough numbers that my old bosses who worked at Honda in the mid 00's remember dealing with it. 

dj06482
dj06482 SuperDork
9/9/18 8:34 p.m.

Unfortunately, spacecadet is right on the money.  I'd try a fluid change (google Honda atf 3x drain and fill), and I'd recommend using Honda's ATF.

Honda's (and Acura's) AT has a poor reputation during that time frame, especially with the V6s.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/10/18 4:33 a.m.

Any guesses on how much a good quality rebuilt transmission should cost? 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 6:22 a.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

OE from Honda with the updates should be in the $2000-2200 range iirc. It’s been a few years since I sold these though. Aftermarket was usually in that same range but without the reliability or warranty. I can remember a few dozen times having to swap out aftermarket trans bought by aftermarket warranty companies because they didn’t want to spend the extra $2-300 for the OE. 

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
9/10/18 7:12 a.m.

Here's a video that explains why t hey fail (this guy is a riot--I subscribe to his channel).

Crucal Info for used Honda buyers

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 7:40 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

He's actually wrong. Well, not in the 3rd gear issues, that part is right. The recall installed a new cooler tube for the 3rd gear clutch pack and extended the warranty for the trans to 100 or 150k (can't remember the details, it has been almost4 years). So when the customer thought they got the trans fixed, it was just a patch and then they changed the trans at a later date under warranty. I literally sold hundreds of these for hte TL. 99-00 4spd and 01-04 5-spds. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/10/18 9:14 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

So Honda OE has " bulletproofed" them now?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
9/10/18 9:22 a.m.

I wouldn't spend any big money on rebuilding or replacing it. If you find a good wrecked one in the junkyard, maybe I'd throw $200 at it, but the fact is they're glass transmissions. You'll end up with a car not worth much more than you paid to fix it.

I'd do the 3-4 time drain/fill using brand new Honda ATF (do not pass go, do not collect $200, only ONLY use Honda ATF), and keep on trucking until it completely eats itself up. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/10/18 9:26 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

My dad had his trans in his 99 4 cylinder replaced at 150K with a rebuild.  He has another 100k on it and it's holding up.  So the rebuilds/newer models must be better. Agree on only honda ATF..

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 9:34 a.m.
TRoglodyte said:

In reply to bobzilla :

So Honda OE has " bulletproofed" them now?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. The design was crap. But I believed they changed the clutch pack material and or thickness to accomodate the heat better. Along with the extra cooler from the recall. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 9:36 a.m.

In reply to mtn :

I disagree. If the rest of the car is solid, and you're planning on running it into the ground, spending $2k on it would make sense. I mean, what else are you going to find for that money with a known background and new trans? 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/10/18 1:42 p.m.

Very clean 2-door Coupe, two owners from new and I know them both.  Gently driven, dealer maintained, just one little problem...

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/10/18 3:50 p.m.

...Honda OE reman tranny is $4000, Holy Rupaul!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/10/18 4:01 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte :

installed? sounds about right. I believe CP trans is around 9 hours at $120/hr usually. 

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
9/10/18 4:03 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Transmission in a crate on the floor, some assembly required.

Curtis
Curtis UltimaDork
9/10/18 4:48 p.m.
TRoglodyte said:

Any guesses on how much a good quality rebuilt transmission should cost? 

Hate to say it, but they aren't the run of the mill rebuild. Its likely a BCLA or BAYA.  It's what they call the 3-shaft auto.  Not only is there a little more labor involved, you'll have more expensive parts.  You absolutely need to do the solenoids.  They are likely the cause of the damage in the first place.  R&R labor to get it out isn't overly prohibitive.

My shop probably would have charged you just under $3000 to remove, rebuild, and replace.  Purchasing a quality rebuild and installing it yourself would likely be more like $2000 until you get the torque converter and fluid

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XOqCADVxAJ350fXAfWotiB9kgnk4n94tB7Wqfptz2W3x1uViuJ6m5AJW4kkdZLEV