Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
7/29/17 2:10 p.m.

So,it is official,swmbo's civic is dead. Our insurance has totalled it, finally got us a check. Someone pulled out in front of us while we travelling on the highway. There was no time to avoid them, but fortunately everybody was mostly okay just some minor injuries. They had no valid registration or proof of insurance, so we filed with our company. It made the process a little more complicated. Now, that our company has paid us, we have been looking at replacements. A family member is offering us a good deal on a low mileage 2009 colorado crew cab 4-cly auto. So what is the good, the bad,and the ugly on these?

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/29/17 2:26 p.m.

I have a couple of 2005s that I have been very happy with. I have heard they have some electrical issues on the higher optioned trucks, but I have not seen it with mine. Mine have the 5 cylinder engines. One has 183K on it, the other has 214K on it.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
7/29/17 2:36 p.m.

We have driven this one, and we both like the way it drives, and everything works. It was religiously maintained, but it could use a little more power. It would probably work well for swmbo's 15 minute commute, just wanted some more info on them before we make our decision.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
7/29/17 3:00 p.m.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one or recommend them to anyone.

The only major repair I have had to do was a transmission rebuild on the higher mileage truck. It lost reverse at 205K.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
7/29/17 3:14 p.m.

Thanks, Toyman.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
7/30/17 2:06 a.m.

I've had two and they've been good trucks. Mine are 2.9 5spd, but I drove a 2.9 auto and it was better than I expected, though fuel economy wasn't as good. Easy power increase, pul the 48mm snorkel (TB iss 76) out of the airbox. Gutting the precat makes a big differrence and a tune is cheap, easy and make s a big difference. I'm still happy with mine and it's beeen trouble free.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
7/30/17 9:28 a.m.

Thanks, Zomby Woof. Who makes the tune?

porschenut
porschenut Reader
8/1/17 3:23 p.m.

I have an '11 5 cyl and love it. Drove the 4 and was not impressed with the power. The 5 is great, lots of torque and pulls all the way up, feels way too nice for a truck motor. Mileage is about 20 around town, 25 on the highway. Drive a 5 before you decide. But the Colorado is a great truck.

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
8/1/17 7:13 p.m.

In reply to porschenut:

I am planning on buying this one from a family member, and the price is hard to beat. Yes, it could use more power, but it seems more responsive than my 4-cyl ranger.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
8/1/17 10:49 p.m.

My cousin has owned 2 4 cylinder colorados as work trucks, I did the service on them. Good trucks but scan for p0017 cause there'll be some sensors you'll have to replace. It's apparently common as hell.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/2/17 4:46 a.m.

Woof's 2011 Colorado

TLDR: header, exh., homemade intake, 4.10'gear and locker with a 2" drop = a completely different truck

Chesterfield
Chesterfield New Reader
8/2/17 6:20 a.m.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I knew I had read your thread zomby woof, but I did not find it in my initial search. It is full of great info, as I decide what improvements may be made based on budget and time.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hvUbYhmAQLZZt7kcnZV5ORjgkBEP8fGVdDIEZA35FYikg4YFPIHFQ96msxTmq4iQ