1 2
Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
4/1/10 3:43 p.m.

Attention all hopeless velocity addicts: the Ultimate Track Car Challenge is back.

We're returning to Virginia International Raceway on July 23, 2010, for our fourth annual search for the lowest lap times. Pirelli has signed on as our new title sponsor for the event, and the friendly folks at NASA Mid-Atlantic are once again going to handle the timing, scoring and safety concerns so we can focus on picking the coolest cars in the country to compete at the event.

As in years past, if you're interested in participating, you'll want to first read the rules at:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/utcc2010/

And then head over to http://www.cardomain.com/grm and post your car for all the world to see. Make sure you enter it in the UTCC category, or we won't get your email address and you won't get any of the important updates.

Please use this thread to ask any general questions, and we'll provide answers as quickly as possible. We have a good number of spots available, but they're not unlimited, so we do have to select our entrants carefully.

Want to see how your wheels stack up against some of the coolest track beasts on the planet? The Pirelli Ultimate Track Car Challenge is the perfect opportunity!

If you have any questions about what class your car would be, don't hesitate to ask.

If you're not sure if you or your car are legal for the event, then Jon Felton, the Time Trial Director at NASA-MA, is your man. He'll be popping by this thread from time to time to help answer questions, too.

What are you waiting for? Go sign up!

getfast
getfast New Reader
4/1/10 3:55 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote: If you're not sure if you or your car are legal for the event, then Jon Felton, the Time Trial Director at NASA-MA, is your man. He'll be popping by this thread from time to time to help answer questions, too.

Hey Scott, yes indeed, I'm here! In case anyone needs me on shorter notice, please email jon (at) get-fast (dot) net or call 804.397.FAST.

We at NASA Mid-Atlantic are honored to help with this great event again in 2010, and extremely excited about it as well!

Back shortly with some related details...

getfast
getfast New Reader
4/1/10 4:05 p.m.

Cliffs notes: the 2010 UTCC details are virtually identical to the 2009 UTCC details on NASA's end. Here they are again so nobody needs to dig up last year's thread...

This event is effectively a NASA TT run by GRM's classing instead of NASA TT classing. It will be much like the third annual event at VIR last summer, i.e. on the 3.3 mile full course with tentatively two run groups ("big bore" and "small bore" or similar.) Spaces are somewhat limited so please don't hesitate to get your Cardomain pages set up!

Once invites have been sent, registration will take place through http://www.nasaproracing.com . All drivers will need to be NASA members and all cars will need to have an AMB transponder on board (we will have rentals available.) All cars will also need to pass a NASA HPDE pre-tech and drivers will need to bring a completed copy of that form (we double check it and issue the tech sticker on site, starting at ~6:30pm the night before.) M95/SA95+ helmets, long pants, long sleeve shirts, and closed-toe shoes are mandatory. NASA- and VIR-approved rollbars are required in convertibles, and drivers must pass the "broomstick test." Further safety equipment (cages, harnesses, H&N restraints, etc) is optional but highly recommended. Please note though, further safety systems will need to conform to the NASA CCR (i.e. Schroth 4-point autocross belts aren't allowed.)

On event day, registered drivers can expect a warmup session then at least two or three, but possibly more, 15+ minute timed sessions per group. Passing rules are "anywhere with or without a point-by" and fastest lap of the day counts. Session times will be DQ'd for drivers who have any contact, 4-off, spin, or significant loss of control. Repeat offenders will be dealt with harshly - we didn't have any repeat offenders at the '09 running of the UTCC, so I'm hoping that trend will continue. Also, later timed sessions will be gridded by prior session times to hopefully give everyone at least a few hot laps before having to deal with traffic.

Now back to the beginning as far as driver qualifications go. Keep in mind, safety is of utmost importance as far as NASA and GRM are concerned. Also that this event will feature a wide range of cars with a theoretically larger than usual spread in terms of lap times and closing speeds (just ask Roy in the ITC 510 about getting passed by Tommy Archer in the factory Viper Comp Coupe at the '07 UTCC!) Combine that with our open passing rules, as well as the aforementioned fact that cages and soforth are recommended but not required, and you will understand why we can only allow highly skilled drivers with significant related experience.

Having said that - everyone driving in the '10 UTCC will need to have one of the following:

-a current pro (ALMS/Grand-Am/etc) roadracing license;

-a current SCCA regional/national non rookie roadracing license;

-a current NASA non rookie roadracing license;

-a current NASA TT license (hard card);

-a NASA TT license (paper provisional with two signatures) and a written waiver from me personally.

How does this last requirement work? I'll explain after the break...

getfast
getfast New Reader
4/1/10 4:17 p.m.
getfast wrote: everyone driving in the '10 UTCC will need to have one of the following: -a current pro (ALMS/Grand-Am/etc) roadracing license; -a current SCCA regional/national non rookie roadracing license; -a current NASA non rookie roadracing license; -a current NASA national TT license (hard card)

Any of the above will automatically qualify you for a UTCC run group wristband when you show it on event day.

But presumably some people setting up Cardomain pages for UTCC invites might not have one of the above. Which is why we have this one:

getfast wrote: -a NASA TT license (paper provisional with two signatures) and a written waiver from me personally.

The document I mentioned is here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/rules-forms/Time-Trial-License.pdf

There are two levels involved if this applies to you (i.e. you don't have one of the things listed way above.) The first level is equivalent experience. If you have proof of this, and possibly specific history & references if needed, I will double-sign and fax or snail mail you the form with two signatures and the written waiver. These are essentially the tickets you will show to get your UTCC run group wristband on event day. These qualifications include, but are not necessarily limited to:

-NASA instructor certification with chief instructor references

-NASA or SCCA rookie roadracing permits

-BMWCCA and PCA rookie or non-rookie roadracing permits

-various regional organization rookie or non-rookie roadracing permits

-various vintage organization rookie or non-rookie roadracing permits

The next level is minimum experience. Specifically we need proof of at least 4+ weekends of NASA-MA HPDE3 Advanced equivalent, passing-in-corners, non-instructed road course driving experience in the last 2 years. We will need to see groups, dates, and references. Depending upon who this was with, when it was, and what your references say, this may or may not require a check ride at any NASA roadcourse event anywhere in the country between now and the UTCC in July.

Across the board we handle these licensing issues on a case by case basis, and I'm the main point of contact for those purposes.

Also, just as before, if you have a hot car that gets accepted - but you aren't quite qualified as a driver - you are welcome to bring a 'ringer' for those purposes as long as that person meets the driver requirements stated above. I can think of several seriously fast drivers offhand who are interested & available (cough Mike Skeen cough), so if that's the way you want to go, please don't hesitate to contact me so we can get the ball rolling.

Thanks! Now back to your regularly scheduled discussions

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
4/2/10 7:45 a.m.

Hi,

Jon is the TT Man, I am the registration Man!!

If you are selected, you will eventually need to deal with me Muhaahaaaa....

In order to enter the event, you will need to be a NASA member. You can do that here: https://www.nasaproracing.com/login

Entry details and questions can be directed to registration at nasaracing dot net.

Good Luck to all the potential entrants. We really enjoy hosting this event, and hope to see another batch of really wicked cars out there.

a NASA membership includes a subscription to the finest motorsports magazine there is, Grassroots Motorsports!!

mistanfo
mistanfo Dork
4/2/10 7:55 a.m.

Hi, so you have Jon, the TT Man, Sean the registration Man, and me, the pit out Man. Yes, you have to get by me, and a few others on grid before me. Sorry, no evil laugh this morning from me.

And yes, I LOVE seeing the cars that make it out for the UTCC!

Scott Lear
4/2/10 8:46 a.m.

Just wanna take a moment to say that the NASA Mid-Atlantic guys are AMAZING when it comes to helping us out with the UTCC. Thank you all for chiming in! Obviously they're eager to help answer any competitor questions. I'm going to add this thread to the event page so people know it's a resource.

davbro
davbro New Reader
4/15/10 9:17 p.m.

I am hoping to be selected for the 2010 UTCC, but sadly I do not meet the driver qualifications. It seems when you decide to build an AWD turbocharged compact from scratch for the GRM $200X Challenge, you spend a lot more time at the the junk yard, on ebay/craigslist, and of course on your back in the garage than you do at a track.
I will be more than happy however to hand over the driving duties to a qualified ringer. The car is safe, fast and easy to drive hard.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2616542

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
5/21/10 6:56 a.m.

we really wanted to take Gutty out to the UTCC, but schedules dont work out for any of us.

nasaregistrar
nasaregistrar Dork
6/22/10 10:19 a.m.

OK, the invites have been sent out, lets start the smack talk

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
6/22/10 11:08 a.m.

Team GRM is gonna smoke everybody over the age of 25 at the go-kart track on Friday night. (or was it Saturday?)

Bring it!

Sharif_Forged
Sharif_Forged
6/22/10 9:16 p.m.

Sharif@Forged here, present and accounted for. Looking forward to another wonderful outing at VIR. Did I mention VIR is my favorite track....mostly because NASA Mid-A runs their track events like a well oil machine. Thanks for doing what you all do, and we'll see you soon.

getfast
getfast New Reader
6/22/10 9:23 p.m.
Sharif_Forged wrote: Sharif@Forged here, present and accounted for. Looking forward to another wonderful outing at VIR. Did I mention VIR is my favorite track....mostly because NASA Mid-A runs their track events like a well oil machine. Thanks for doing what you all do, and we'll see you soon.

Thanks Sharif! We can't wait to see you and your GTR in action again!

getfast
getfast New Reader
6/29/10 4:23 p.m.
getfast wrote:
Scott Lear wrote: If you're not sure if you or your car are legal for the event, then Jon Felton, the Time Trial Director at NASA-MA, is your man. He'll be popping by this thread from time to time to help answer questions, too.
Hey Scott, yes indeed, I'm here! In case anyone needs me on shorter notice, please email jon (at) get-fast (dot) net or call 804.397.FAST.

Is the UTCC seriously three weeks from this Friday? Wow, 2010 is flying by.

I should be back with the official format/schedule details soon.

Any outstanding questions or concerns, anyone?

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
6/30/10 9:43 p.m.

May we assume that spectators are welcome?

getfast
getfast New Reader
6/30/10 9:56 p.m.

Spectators are absolutely definitely welcome. Please be warned though, the track may be charging $10 a head to get in as of Friday morning.

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
6/30/10 10:01 p.m.

In reply to getfast:

Should be more than $10 worth of interesting things to see. Thanks.

getfast
getfast New Reader
6/30/10 10:06 p.m.

I assure you that is true. I'll even put my own personal money-back guarantee on it.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
7/1/10 12:13 a.m.

Also- bring some scratch for the go-kart track. There should be a GRM team (maybe two?) participating Saturday night.

Also, look for a heaping spoonful of web coverage at this event. I'm trying to get everything in place to have in-car footage on the site and perhaps even (gasp!) a live web feed. Stay tuned!

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/1/10 12:56 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: Also- bring some scratch for the go-kart track.

This man speaks the truth, it's some of the most fun arrive & drive karting you'll ever find anywhere... http://www.virnow.com/kart-track/

Sample helmet cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWFBxsHvAfw

For those who are interested we do still have some team spots available for our 120min enduro there on Friday night after the UTCC, racing from 630-830p for $160/team (minimum of 3 drivers), open to anyone and everyone... details & pre-reg @ https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1039

Scott Lear
7/1/10 1:44 p.m.

As Sean mentioned a while ago, the invites have been sent, but naturally we've got a few folks dropping out with various issues, so there's always the possibility of late additions. If you feel like you'd be a good addition to the event and you've got your NASA Time Trial or equivalent license, drop me an email at scott@grassrootsmotorsports.com and we'll see if we can find a spot for you. I've had two very cool late entries in just the past two days.

And if you already got your invite, go sign up today! It makes everybody's life a great deal easier if you register sooner rather than later.

See you all in just a few weeks, it should be a heck of a lot of fun.

y2khardtop
y2khardtop
7/12/10 10:00 p.m.

Not much of a SMACK talker, but looking forward to seeing some serious hardware, and even more interested in seeing some great drivers put whatever equipment they have through it's paces. VIR is such an amazing place, I love instructing and racing there, and can't wait for the event!

David Farmer

getfast
getfast NASA Ninja
7/14/10 6:40 p.m.

UTCC schedule is now online, linked from http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_July_10/event.htm

Direct link: http://www.nasaracing.net/VIR_July_10/Fri_VIR_July10_Schedule.pdf

getfast
getfast New Reader
7/16/10 5:23 p.m.

Registered UTCC drivers, you've got mail!

This is a big one with a whole lot of related details. Please check your spam/bulk folder just in case, and pm or email me if it doesn't show up.

Thanks!

Jon

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
7/16/10 10:49 p.m.

Just read about the Vorshlag "crapcan" E30 not making it to the UTTC. That sucks, I was really looking forward to seeing how they faired. Oh well, at least next year it will be sorted properly!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A6sviS1G2ztz3nRe9Qz45hj6W66lOBdwc7DRXWLS8vqzYWiS7skm7hGonZ6N5eBF