GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/31/12 12:12 p.m.

I've searched back and haven't been able to find any threads on this car, so I hope I'm not reposting.

You probably remember that Lotus promised that the post-2012 Exige would be an ugly, heavy bastard of a car, showing off something that looked like the fever dreams of Honda's designers, and there was much sadness. Well it looks like they came to their senses:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1073834_2013-lotus-exige-s-roadster-makes-debut

Wheelbase is obviously longer and it now has the supercharged Camry V6, but luckily the looks haven't changed much. I thought the 2012 model was different but not better, but this one is definitely an improvement, except for the rear which I'm not too sure about. Looks "fat" from some angles and has a huge projecting bumper.

Weight unfortunately is a bit higher, nearly 2500lbs now, although it has a lot more power to move it with the new engine.

Available with traditional 6-speed or robo-manual.

kreb
kreb SuperDork
8/31/12 12:19 p.m.

Should appeal to a broader base. They'll probably sell a bunch of them. I'd certainly consider one if I had the green.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
8/31/12 12:19 p.m.

Not too bad. Still don't like the Toyota engine idea though.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer PowerDork
8/31/12 12:37 p.m.

Think they are responding to the "it's way too small to fit my fat ass in" crowd. Looks good.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
8/31/12 12:39 p.m.

Who'da'thunk... they get rid of the self-proclaimed "not a car guy" CEO, and they change their mind about making a "shoot our entire brand image in the foot" car.

Good riddance, Dany Bahar. May you have success in your life so long as you stay the hell away from anything remotely automotive.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH PowerDork
8/31/12 12:41 p.m.

Oh didn't know they got rid of that guy, wise choice.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/31/12 12:41 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: You probably remember that Lotus promised that the post-2012 Exige would be an ugly, heavy bastard of a car, showing off something that looked like the fever dreams of Honda's designers, and there was much sadness. Well it looks like they came to their senses:

What actually happened was HDRB Hircom (Lotus' new owners) sacked that lunatic Danny Bahar who hatched that whole "new Ferrari" plan. They are re-organizing the whole bit now and there is a lot of rumor that involves lightness. They killed all of Bahar's "concepts" except the Espirit's chassis and V8. Things are finally looking up for Lotus!

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/31/12 12:47 p.m.
Javelin wrote: What actually happened was HDRB Hircom (Lotus' new owners) sacked that lunatic Danny Bahar who hatched that whole "new Ferrari" plan.

That's good to hear. Britain has enough Ferrari competitors as is.

Now the good news for US is that once the new car arrives here in great numbers it should drive Elise prices back down to more GRM-affordable levels.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
8/31/12 2:24 p.m.

Didn't know about the CEO situation, sounds like its being worked out in the proper fashion. Hope he didn't get some million dollar golden parachute.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/31/12 3:08 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Didn't know about the CEO situation, sounds like its being worked out in the proper fashion. Hope he didn't get some million dollar golden parachute.

Nope, he got old-fashioned canned. In fact, he's suing Hircom over the canning. I hope the Bob Costas loses.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
8/31/12 3:16 p.m.

Linky to the plan ditching.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
8/31/12 3:46 p.m.

Looks like a kick ass car. Very evolutionary a lot.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/31/12 4:38 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Gearheadotaku wrote: Didn't know about the CEO situation, sounds like its being worked out in the proper fashion. Hope he didn't get some million dollar golden parachute.
Nope, he got old-fashioned canned. In fact, he's suing Hircom over the canning. I hope the Bob Costas loses.

One comment on that page was giggle worthy, something about Colin Chapman would take a dim view of this Behar guy's expenses (which are allegedly why he was fired). CC was not above lining his pockets with other people's money and really liked other men's wives. Lotus has been stolen blind again and again over the years.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/31/12 5:06 p.m.

It's been a while since I've lusted after a new car with a price >$40K. berkeley. I WANT THAT CAR

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ygxzfewJIDxYDKyNbYhntL7HSuPxfEou7zpJglHnHLrnZeaiPU74liZ94QOg2r1x