1 2 3 4 5
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/9/13 12:18 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: In reply to SVreX: I had a Snickers bar and feel better now. I'll see you all down there and look forward to having fun.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/10/13 7:13 a.m.

Question, Is there anyway to retroactively document this? I have a car I got and started building long before I ever heard of the challenge, so I didn't save receipts, etc. can you look up what typical prices are and use those?

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
4/10/13 8:34 a.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs:

Yes. This would fall under the "fair market value" part of the rules. Print out prices for similar items and you should be good to go.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
4/10/13 1:29 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Question, Is there anyway to retroactively document this? I have a car I got and started building long before I ever heard of the challenge, so I didn't save receipts, etc. can you look up what typical prices are and use those?

yeah, search CL and eBay for similar items, and always use the cheapest one you can find as your FMV evidence!

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Intern
4/10/13 3:28 p.m.

Yep, this.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/11/13 8:13 a.m.

Nevermind,

the rule about not being able to recoup more than the cost of an item means I can't get close.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
4/11/13 8:44 a.m.

If your Challenge car is the one in your avatar then I'd say it's fine but I'm not an authority on the rules. It does have to pass the NHRA safety inspection. There have been previous roadsters entered with just a windscreen such as Wreck Racing's Miata.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/11/13 9:42 a.m.

alright then let's get a clarification

I got a scca solo raced fiat 850 for free. I have emails saying first one to haul it and the associated junk off gets it.

The car came with an no engine, a vw transmission, 3 sets of wheels and tires, and various other bits.

I sold the transmission, and one set of wheels and tires. Can I get credit for the sales price of the trans and wheels, even though they were part of the "free" car?

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
4/11/13 9:46 a.m.

You can't recoup to a negative value, so selling off parts of the free package deal doesn't help you.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/11/13 10:02 a.m.

That's what I thought. oh well, sometime around the year 2500 I'll be eligible!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
4/11/13 10:12 a.m.
Gasoline wrote: In reply to icaneat50eggs: As I understand, you can recoup more than the cost of an item(s) up to a total of $1,006.50. ($2013/2)

you are incorrect.

on any particular item (or group of items that were included in a one-price-takes-all purchase), you can only recoup up to the purchase price of that item or group of items.

and in the case of a group of items, if you recoup it down to zero you can't trade the leftovers.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
4/11/13 10:44 a.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
Gasoline wrote: In reply to icaneat50eggs: As I understand, you can recoup more than the cost of an item(s) up to a total of $1,006.50. ($2013/2)
you are incorrect. on any particular item (or group of items that were included in a one-price-takes-all purchase), you can only recoup up to the purchase price of that item or group of items. and in the case of a group of items, if you recoup it down to zero you can't trade the leftovers.

I'm sorry. Angry is correct. Agh! My Challenge vehicle should be a short bus. School me if I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

This is my Excel soft "example" layout that is helping me to understand the cost of this $2013 car. The squeezed line are parts details and costs. I can click on them to hyperlink to scanned parts cost receipts on other tabs. It will all be put on a flash drive and also a hard copy.

Gasoline $2013

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/11/13 11:52 a.m.

let me say after building what I thought would be an incredibly cheap race car, and still being WAY over $2013, I can't believe what you guys pull off for challenge money. I can't wrap my head around the 11 second quarters the special K guys threw down for that kind of cash, and still have decent handling for the autox. Mucho kudos.

In fact right now i can't figure out how to build anything that would be considered competitive for that kind of price.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Reader
4/11/13 11:58 a.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: In fact right now i can't figure out how to build anything that would be considered competitive for that kind of price.

Don't worry, I haven't either- I'm just trying to build something that I think will be fun to take down and run and do the best I can with that.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/11/13 12:00 p.m.

It's easy, really...

Buy a cheap C4 vette. Buy 335 width Kumho V710s. Buy a $100 nitrous setup.

Done.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/11/13 1:18 p.m.

are there $1913 c4's out there? If so, I need to find one.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/11/13 1:19 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: are there $1913 c4's out there? If so, I need to find one.

I'm sure there are. There's been C4s at the challenge before.

If there aren't, the any old F body will do.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/11/13 1:24 p.m.

I guess you could bump that up to $3000, since you could possiblly make some cash back selling various bits.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
4/11/13 1:56 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:

If there aren't, the any old F body will do.

Ouch Swank! I didn't see the exclusion of F-bodies or C4s in the rules. Why the hate?

Alan Cesar
Alan Cesar Associate Editor
4/11/13 2:00 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: are there $1913 c4's out there? If so, I need to find one.

Close enough:

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/3725448928.html

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/3676758604.html

And just for fun:

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/3683132540.html

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/11/13 5:37 p.m.
Gasoline wrote: As I understand, you can recoup more than the cost of an item(s) up to a total of $1,006.50. ($2013/2)

This is incorrect.

You cannot recoup more than the cost of any particular item, AND the total recoup cannot exceed $1006.50

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
4/11/13 5:40 p.m.

I would bet this is midfield (or better?) fast and could be picked up for Challenge money.......

95 Z28 BUILT LS16 SPEED - $1 (GA)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/11/13 5:40 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: I guess you could bump that up to $3000, since you could possiblly make some cash back selling various bits.

When you add in the "free" safety items and Kumho tires, it can theoretically be a lot more than that.

Gasoline
Gasoline Dork
4/11/13 5:46 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Gasoline wrote: As I understand, you can recoup more than the cost of an item(s) up to a total of $1,006.50. ($2013/2)
This is incorrect. You cannot recoup more than the cost of any particular item, AND the total recoup cannot exceed $1006.50

YES, Angry corrected me, and I said that I was wrong above. I deleted my mistake to help avoid others confusion. HTH T

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/11/13 5:54 p.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

Sorry. Posted before I read his post.

My bad.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mC2YlMqke0HhCU29WgZSqlgdqXaeELq0ijqN7ct79JqdM7cXVLUYDBL3whHVSJEb