4 5 6 7 8
Ashyukun
Ashyukun Reader
7/11/13 11:54 a.m.

Don't know if this has been addressed before, but I'm assuming that it has- at least the El Camino that I'm working on toward next year will be getting a trailer hitch put on it to allow it to tow down a small trailer with additional tools/tires and such, and it's likely that I'd be looking to do the same if I get something I'm able to prep in time for this year. Does the hitch have to go in the budget? Ideally I'd be able to remove it before the competition itself, but I know at least in the case of the El Camino (I keep wondering if I should be leaving off the 'the' before 'El Camino'... ) that it would not be a simple process to do so...

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
7/11/13 3:38 p.m.

If it's on the car, it's in the budget. Same question came up about a boomin' stereo in the past, same response from the masses. Makes it a lot easier to avoid rule creep with exception after exception, which not only makes the rules tedious but also creates loopholes which then need more rules to close.

Bryce

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
7/11/13 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun:

Just un-bolt it for the event and you'll be good to go.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
7/12/13 7:43 a.m.

re. trailer hitch on elcamino, that much steel that far behind the rear axle is definitely a performance enhancer at the drags.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
7/12/13 1:55 p.m.

Find an old weight set on CL and mount the plates to the hitch for extra weight transfer

stan_d
stan_d Dork
7/14/13 5:46 p.m.

Trailer hitch stiffens rear frame too

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
7/14/13 8:01 p.m.

Ok, next question regarding tires.

Non-DOT tires are ok for the drags, but not the autocross. Why? Modified and prepared class SCCA cars are allowed non-DOT tires if I'm reading the rules right. A used set of tires from something like that would be a help to the 'personal' budget. Not sure if roundy - round tires would be a good idea here or not. But again - cheap used rubber.

I like the Kumho rule, but they don't have much for me in 245/50/16. I could go with 15" wheels leading me to the non-DOT question.

Not trying for an argument, just discussion and maybe a thought for next years rules.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous HalfDork
7/16/13 1:54 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

I know this was discussed before and I think the reason was that they didn't want the cars to flip over because of too much traction. Maybe I'm just imagining that. Either way, I can think of at least one very pretty TR7 that had non-DOT slicks on it and was allowed to run.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
7/21/13 10:10 a.m.

In reply to Gasoline:

please move both axles forward about 12" for maximum funny car emulation!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
7/24/13 7:38 p.m.

Ok quick question... I just bought a b13 Sentra se-r with an sr20ve engine already installed. The initial intent behind the purchase was to take the engine out for my track car. I then realized that it would work well as a challenge car for this years event. Can I buy the engine from the car for the fair market value, and then sell the stock sr20 back to my self for the challenge car.

I bought the car for $1675.00. The going rate on eBay for an sr20ve is $750.00 plus shipping. Can I sell the engine to myself for $750.00 taking the se-r down to $925.00 and then sell my stock sr20de from the track car back to myself for a fair market value of $400.00. Bringing the total in the se-r to $1325.00. I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak a new motor for the track rat and a little more room in the budget for the challenge car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/24/13 9:23 p.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Why not leave the car as-is for this year's event?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
7/25/13 8:48 a.m.

That is an option, but I was thinking of doing a turbo or nitrous and I would rather not do that to the engine I am keeping long term. Also the seller told me the car needs a throw out bearing, if I am going to pull the tranny to replace it I might as well swap the engine at the same time.

Here is a link to the car... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1993-Nissan-Sentra-se-r-b13-VVL-/281137870738?_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&forcev4exp=true#ht_602wt_1021

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair PowerDork
7/25/13 3:56 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I bought the car for $1675.00. The going rate on eBay for an sr20ve is $750.00 plus shipping. Can I sell the engine to myself for $750.00 taking the se-r down to $925.00 and then sell my stock sr20de from the track car back to myself for a fair market value of $400.00. Bringing the total in the se-r to $1325.00. I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak a new motor for the track rat and a little more room in the budget for the challenge car.

several years ago i was shot down when i wanted to remove something from my car (and my budget) without actually selling it.

however, i was allowed to trade parts into and out of my stash for the car, as long as both sides of the trade were roughly equal. in my case, i had a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate on the shelf for a different project, and had an extra transaxle that came with the car. each side of the trade was valued at roughly $250 at the time.

so, maybe you've got a nice set of autocross wheels and tires, that nitrous or turbo, etc etc, that you could include in the package with the -DE engine, to balance out the higher value of the -VE engine, such that both sides of your self-trade are roughly equal?

or perhaps the kinder gentler rules police is allowing challengers to credit things to their budget without actually selling them.

or perhaps you have an alter ego who likes to buy and sell datsun engines...

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/25/13 4:09 p.m.

Or he has more than one project car....many folks do

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
7/25/13 8:41 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
pimpm3 wrote: I bought the car for $1675.00. The going rate on eBay for an sr20ve is $750.00 plus shipping. Can I sell the engine to myself for $750.00 taking the se-r down to $925.00 and then sell my stock sr20de from the track car back to myself for a fair market value of $400.00. Bringing the total in the se-r to $1325.00. I could kill two birds with one stone so to speak a new motor for the track rat and a little more room in the budget for the challenge car.
several years ago i was shot down when i wanted to remove something from my car (and my budget) without actually *selling* it. however, i was allowed to trade parts into and out of my stash for the car, as long as both sides of the trade were roughly equal. in my case, i had a new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate on the shelf for a different project, and had an extra transaxle that came with the car. each side of the trade was valued at roughly $250 at the time. so, maybe you've got a nice set of autocross wheels and tires, that nitrous or turbo, etc etc, that you could include in the package with the -DE engine, to balance out the higher value of the -VE engine, such that both sides of your self-trade are roughly equal?

I have a set of wheels and tires from my track car and a turbo set up off of a g20 project that I could work into the deal if that is how I need to structure it. I just want to stay with in the rules and still accomplish my original goal of a ve engine for my track car.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette SuperDork
7/30/13 12:45 p.m.

schedule 9 a.m.–noon — Registration and Tech Noon–6 p.m. — Autocross 4 p.m.–10 p.m. — Drags Sonny's BBQ will be provided for entrants and their crew. Nov 16 10 a.m.–4 p.m. — Car show Under the pavilion. 6 p.m.–10 p.m. — Awards Banquet

Jarrito Burrito didn't get the call for food sorry !

johnt2k7
johnt2k7 New Reader
8/17/13 11:56 p.m.

how do you determine the Fair market Value of used Parts ? is their a general percentage % of the origonal price ?

i have a bunch of used stuff laying around the garage from previous projects that i want to use but dont know to price

ebay intercooler, LS Ignition Coils, Honda aluminum Radiator, Fuel Pressure Regulator, subaru Injectors, Misc Fittings (A/N, NPT ) i plan on using to plumb the fuel system and turbo, gauges (boost,oil pressure),
Misc Sensors and Pigtails (IAT,ECT), Plus Tons of scrap aluminum ,stainless, steel (tubing & sheet) to fix one or two small rust holes in the floor pan, possibly build a sheet metal intake using the factory flange and runners,

also i saved a Holset Turbo that was going into the scrap metal bin at work. came off a cummins with 350K+ miles the wastegate diaphragm is blown, the wastegate flapper is siezed, and the turbine housing is cracked. So the plan is to buy a rebuild kit, a non wastegated turbine housing, and a external wastegate which will all be in my budget but how do you determine the fair market value of a blown turbo you got for free ?

all work done to the car is going to be done by me so the entire budget will be parts only and im trying to figure out the value of these used parts first so i can determine if i have enough budget left for a larger cam or possibly a DIY water meth system

im asking all of this because iv never been to the event before and dont know how maticulously they look over the cars and build sheets. and how they determine what is a fair market value of things ? im planning on pushing my budget as close as possible. but I really dont want to make the 1000+ Mile treck to have the car in dispute and be told i cant compete because im some how overbudget

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/18/13 7:55 a.m.

You will be able to compete. There are no Nazis that will stop you.

Having said that, make a believable case. You will not be a top finisher if your story is questionable.

There is no general percentage. The more documentation the better, but it really is all about the story.

So, Ebay "sold" ads that are similar, listings on other websites, even asking for input on this site are all good techniques. Print them out, stick them in a notebook.

Regarding the Holset... that's a slightly different situation. If you got it for free and ANYONE could have gotten it for free, then it's free. If you got it for free because you got special treatment as an employee, then it's FMV. "Special treatment" would include having access to a dumpster that is located behind a locked gate that the general public does not have access to.

Welcome aboard! Have a great time! (the most important part).

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/18/13 7:57 a.m.

BTW, with the cracked housing, your turbo sounds like a "free" one to me, or nearly free if you end up FMVing it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/18/13 9:54 a.m.

What he said. I would have sold that for a 6 pack of beer.

Darren Vannoy
Darren Vannoy Marketing Assistant
8/23/13 12:37 p.m.

All forms needed for entry can be downloaded from the event website under "How to Enter."

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2013challenge/

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/3/13 12:21 p.m.

What's the entry deadline this year?

Darren Vannoy
9/6/13 1:27 p.m.

1 month before event date is preferred, but we're flexible.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/6/13 1:28 p.m.

Depends on the bribe we promise to bring, yes?

Darren Vannoy
9/9/13 8:49 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Depends on the bribe we promise to bring, yes?

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i8TKrDRrCJtITEfHGivQTONLn0kNbomov7tXcjK84WhXHkHozX5tTYe9dzvB47Kg