1 2 3
JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/26/15 6:18 a.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: If no one knows where to start. Follow my lead. Find a good running car for under 2k, clean it up, and drive down and have fun. You can not get more simple then that. My daily driver was the only subby this year and it ran great and I had a blast this weekend. I can say I am not dead last and I in in the top 40 which is cool with me.

Let me share a little insight ckosacranoid shared with me.

Al Unser offered to drive any car with brakes. Instead, ckosacranoid made a different request of Al. He asked Al to take the passenger seat on all his autox runs. That's right, he got professional training from a racecar legend by just asking. He pointed out to me that GRM gave him access to something that he could have never bought at any price.

tb
tb HalfDork
10/26/15 7:29 a.m.
admc58 wrote: ... PS: Alaina liked drag racing WAY too much...I may have started something!

I didn't compete this year, didn't even bust my knuckles on half a dozen random cars as usual, but I apparently did something right! Definitely the highlight of my weekend: The look in the eyes of a 16 year old when you hand them the keys to a brand new, 425 hp pony car and tell them to go and have some fun...

I hope to see you two both again next year.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
10/26/15 7:37 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to Devilsolsi: What would you like to see that would make the decision to attend easier for you? Is it a time/money/busy life equation or is it a "not sure how to start" issues?

My 2 biggest issues are not having a garage and FL is realllly far from MD

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UberDork
10/26/15 7:41 a.m.

Im begging the wife right now to let me build another neon. And actually make it to the challenge.

Got my eye on one for $200. Then add lightness, spring rate, and boost.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
10/26/15 7:57 a.m.
dean1484 wrote: I want to know more about the Neon I saw in some of the photos. The build of that thing looks fantastic.

Dean, it was basically a Neon shell with a Dodge 440 in it. RWD with a narrowed Mustang 4-stud rear end. Automatic transmission (727, I think he said), Miata front suspension with hub adapters to use Miata wheels. The engine was set wayyyyy back. They autocrossed it on the drag slicks. It sheared the left rear studs on the first drag pass, but fixed them and returned. Now here's a"real" surprise, the guy that built it is a good friend of Andrew Nelson and built it in his home garage. I predict it will be back with more studs, or at least it should come back.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
10/26/15 8:01 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote: My 2 biggest issues are not having a garage and FL is realllly far from MD

I don't have a garage either but it isn't stopping me from trying. Of course it's going to look like a POS but it doesn't bother me one bit.

As for distance, I'm just as far away and it isn't a big deal to me. If there is a will, there is a way.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/26/15 8:08 a.m.
Devilsolsi wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to Devilsolsi: What would you like to see that would make the decision to attend easier for you? Is it a time/money/busy life equation or is it a "not sure how to start" issues?
My 2 biggest issues are not having a garage and FL is realllly far from MD

You are closer than many.

But the other issue can be dealt with via a lot of planning. The first step to being competitive is competing.

Spinout007
Spinout007 UberDork
10/26/15 8:11 a.m.

The Mumpkin spent a good chunk of time being worked on in the yard with a 10x20 pipe and tarp canopy as the shade/rain protection source. One day I'll have a garage/shop to play in. Till then I'll just work on whatever is placed in front of me wherever it is placed in front of me.

SADLY we do have a shop, but my mother and sister have packed it so full of crap it's all my dad and I can do to just keep a side clear for tools, and the occasional engine that gets set off to the side in there. Hence the pipe and tarp canopy. Don't let lack of a shop/garage stop you. Dirt works, you just need a 2x12 cut into pieces long enough to put jack stands and a jack on. If you're using an engine hoist a couple of 1/2" thick pieces of plywood will work to move the engine hoist around on.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
10/26/15 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Devilsolsi:

where in MD are you and when do you want to start on a mazda BG chassis project?

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
10/26/15 8:42 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

That is likely the most brilliant thing that I have heard of in quite some time.

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
10/26/15 9:00 a.m.

This was my first Challenge, and was amazing. I want to thank the GRM guys for putting this on; it was an absolute blast and I plan to return! I bought a $1900 Volvo 850 turbo from Pimpm3 for a DD back in August and he convinced me to sign up. I somehow managed an auto-x time of mid 48 seconds - about the same best time I managed in a V8 Camaro that TB allowed me to have a shot in. My Volvo is basically stock (even down to the tires) with very little preparation due to moving-house-related time limitations. I honestly signed up and just showed up on the day. You don't need a lot of dollars to have a blast and everyone there made me feel welcome. If you haven't joined in yet, make sure you do next year!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
10/26/15 9:48 a.m.

Big congratulations to the Nelson family! It was fantastic to see them win. It was great to see everyone, and yes...Al Jr. was an incredibly nice guy!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/26/15 10:54 a.m.

My nephew half-jokingly brought a Challenge-priced 2000-something Jag to my attention and suggested we buy it, add fresh tires, and go. Life intervenes, but I really wish I had said "Berk it, let's do this." Maybe next year.

Congrats to everybody who went, not just the deserving winners.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel HalfDork
10/26/15 11:56 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: As a side note, in the hotel lobby this morning, I sat at two completely separate tables. One was a group of long time Challengers, the other rookies and they were both searching CL for Minivans. Details to follow.

I did just get my dad's 1996 TC LXi...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/26/15 12:32 p.m.

Hey, I know these guys!

evildky
evildky SuperDork
10/26/15 1:38 p.m.
patgizz wrote: i had the only Z car there.

Been there done that ;) 6 of my 12 Challenge appearances have been in Z Cars, almost brought the Z31 back at the last minute but an even later last minute offer to work sema swayed me back to sitting this year out :( maybe next year, maybe...

rcutclif
rcutclif Dork
10/26/15 4:56 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote:
wvumtnbkr wrote: How did the aristocrats do?
Final results Q45 750IL GS400

Wanted to add that the overalls are pretty good for the aristocrats too.

All three of those are between top 1/5th and 1/3rd overall.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/26/15 4:56 p.m.
evildky wrote:
patgizz wrote: i had the only Z car there.
Been there done that ;) 6 of my 12 Challenge appearances have been in Z Cars, almost brought the Z31 back at the last minute but an even later last minute offer to work sema swayed me back to sitting this year out :( maybe next year, maybe...

Dave, hopefully you can join us next year. We missed you.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0fv8ONiWw5ZA5qU9lmnPS3nuHUsRnL39wV7MjLZ4BuDlx4eAp0O4SteXzTha5Z5