1 2
dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/11/17 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

Either way that's a hell of a car for $22k or $25k. Hard to believe how cheap a mustang gt is. You can't get an ND miata for $22k! Granted those are really different cars but it's hard to ignore the performance advantage...

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
5/11/17 5:46 p.m.

In reply to dculberson:

agreed. Lots of good values in that price point. I was just looking at C6's in that same range earlier today. Sure, they had 50k+ miles on them but damn.... that's a ton of car for that money.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/11/17 5:48 p.m.
Harvey wrote:
dculberson wrote: In reply to Harvey: Mustang GTs do *not* depreciate that fast. You can easily pay as much for a used one as for a new one. I found this one that's been tempting me at Koons Ford in Baltimore. $27k plus freight ($1000) and paperwork charges means around $28,500 for a new GT. Show me a low mile 2017 GT whose value has "dropped like a stone," please as around here they're all $25k+ which is ridiculous if I can buy a new one for $28.5k.
There was some, just a tad of, hyperbole in my statement when I said it drops like a stone as soon as you drive it off the lot. There is also a difference between what a dealer wants for the car and what they will actually get for it. If the new one is really only $28.5k and they want $27k then they aren't going to be selling it all that quickly. Go to 2015, which is essentially the same car, find a low mileage one and you're at a pretty significant discount. I mean, what's a new base GT Premium go for MSRP? $38k? Granted you wouldn't want to pay MSRP for one since you could probably get invoice with some shopping. 2015 GT Premium with 15k miles for $30500 2015 GT with Recaros with 19k miles for $29k Granted you need to go to Jersey for that last one, but it also has the Recaros and even looks like a performance pack car which would put it above $40k new.

In OK, Premiums WITH the Performance Pack are being advertised around $35k, or approaching $6k off MSRP.

Furious_E
Furious_E Dork
5/11/17 7:17 p.m.

Having run a 4th gen Camaro for a couple seasons in F Street and CAM C, I think now is a great time to be autocrosing a modern pony car. You can do pretty much whatever you want to the car within reason and still have a competitive class to run in. We always had great turnout for CAM and the class seemed to be growing steadily.

A friend of mine has a '15 GT that I've driven a couple times with the Recaros, performance pack, intake, exhaust, springs, and some other crap I am forgetting and it's a SWEET car. Sounds freaking fantastic. I say do it!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
5/12/17 12:13 a.m.

I have a 15 PP GT. I'm starting to get tired of shifting all the time after 33k miles. The PP reminds me of driving a 6 speed 99 Miata vs a 5 speed. The stock tires don't last long at all. Just put my new rear tires on mine this week and half my miles happened with snow tires on. I bought mine at moons Ford Baltimore for $30k in 2015. Overall for $30k I don't think you can beat it for the price. The 1LE Camaro SS is considerably more expensive.

KevinLG
KevinLG New Reader
5/12/17 6:45 a.m.

If you actually want to be competitive in F-Street, the base Gen-6 SS, or the Gen-5 1LE is the droid you're looking for. Base S550 (non-performance pack) has hopelessly narrow wheels, and the PP is heavier, and geared worse, or has much smaller wheels/tires than its GM rivals. The SS 1LE is a fantastic track car, but it's classed with C5/C6 Z06's, definitely not a great pick if you're looking to be competitive within a specific class. Looking at the used market, I'd pick the Gen-6 Camaro SS if I was in your shoes.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
5/12/17 8:40 a.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to Harvey: OK, so apples to apples, here's a brand new 2017 GT premium for $34k. That's two years newer and with zero miles versus your $30k one. New seems like a no brainer to me there.

Well, this is what I'm saying, you either get a steep hit right off the bat by taking the car new at a discount or after the fact if you were dumb enough to pay MSRP or somewhere close to that. You don't see a discount like that on a high end BMW and technically the Mustang GT Premium is the high end of that particular car. You're now almost $8k off MSRP.

As for, why the Premium, because the cloth interior on the Mustang is terrible IMO, but we all have our things that bother us.

And if you are inclined at all towards a Vette then a really nice C6 Z06 can be had with low miles in that price range. A friend of mine just got a 34k 2006 for $30k.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/12/17 1:06 p.m.

Yeah, I'm not too interested in a Vette. Although that's a lot of performance for the money.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
5/12/17 7:07 p.m.
KevinLG wrote: If you actually want to be competitive in F-Street, the base Gen-6 SS, or the Gen-5 1LE is the droid you're looking for. Base S550 (non-performance pack) has hopelessly narrow wheels, and the PP is heavier, and geared worse, or has much smaller wheels/tires than its GM rivals. The SS 1LE is a fantastic track car, but it's classed with C5/C6 Z06's, definitely not a great pick if you're looking to be competitive within a specific class. Looking at the used market, I'd pick the Gen-6 Camaro SS if I was in your shoes.

But if running CAM then the stock wheel size limits dont matter but the gearing still does for the performance pack stang?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/13/17 8:35 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: I have a 15 PP GT. I'm starting to get tired of shifting all the time after 33k miles. The PP reminds me of driving a 6 speed 99 Miata vs a 5 speed. The stock tires don't last long at all. Just put my new rear tires on mine this week and half my miles happened with snow tires on. I bought mine at moons Ford Baltimore for $30k in 2015. Overall for $30k I don't think you can beat it for the price. The 1LE Camaro SS is considerably more expensive.

Did you buy yours at Koons? (I was thinking maybe "moons" was autocorrect?) if so how did it go? They have amazing prices advertised and I know they add a ~$900 freight charge but even with that they're thousands less than my local dealers.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
5/13/17 8:50 a.m.

In reply to dculberson:

Darn autocorrect. My koons experience was about as good as any dealer experience is these days. Emailed and set up a time to come in because I had already test driven one at a local dealer. When I got there I just picked between colors and checked out. Checkout process is always annoying because it's a sales pitch, extended warranties and optional "protection packages." The extra fees are like any other dealer freight, dealer processing, probably something else I'm forgetting.

I'm pretty sure a portion of the discount is financing through them and they have terrible rates. You only need to wait 3 months before switching financing or paying it off.

Also on saturdays they have a really nice lunch buffet for employees but if you show up at the right time and have to wait they'll invite you in.

Harvey
Harvey Dork
5/13/17 9:44 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: In reply to dculberson: Darn autocorrect. My koons experience was about as good as any dealer experience is these days. Emailed and set up a time to come in because I had already test driven one at a local dealer. When I got there I just picked between colors and checked out. Checkout process is always annoying because it's a sales pitch, extended warranties and optional "protection packages." The extra fees are like any other dealer freight, dealer processing, probably something else I'm forgetting. I'm pretty sure a portion of the discount is financing through them and they have terrible rates. You only need to wait 3 months before switching financing or paying it off. Also on saturdays they have a really nice lunch buffet for employees but if you show up at the right time and have to wait they'll invite you in.

Yep, if they make you finance through them then that is where that discount is coming from, especially if you can't pay it off for three months. Meh, I'd rather just shop local than deal with that unless you're talking multiple thousands saved. A new car loan with excellent credit should be a fantastic rate these days or even 0 in some cases. If I was paying cash I guess it wouldn't bother me, but refinancing a new car loan is too much hassle for me and likely ends with a higher rate.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
5/13/17 10:05 a.m.

In reply to Harvey:

It all depends on the month the deals are always different and you'd have to ask.

Even my parents financed with the local Ford dealer to get the discount when they always pay cash.

lewbud
lewbud HalfDork
5/13/17 12:30 p.m.

Just curious, why not return the FRS to stock (keeping the parts that are allowable of course) and run in D Street (unless you have the factory handling package, then you gotta go play somewheres else)? I know the new Mustang is full of awesomeness, but you've got a competitive car sitting in your driveway. If it's too far gone mod wise, I understand. If it doesn't do it for you anymore, understand that also. As I said, just curious.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/13/17 12:35 p.m.

So I've just driven a new Mustang Ecoboost and a GT. They are quick, capable, good looking cars... but they are also enormous. Like the mass and girth of a Mercedes E Class or BMW 5 Series. Why so big? The back seat doesn't even have headroom for an adult.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sA0CY5jNwcSXsxNH1mSjBVFqwEkmuXv5xvxD67xGsz1FkAChK1IAWkfnmRWQbWaV