2 3 4
chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/31/14 8:25 a.m.

I liked the CAM rules as they were but some folks will look for every advantage to win a piece of wood, a beer glass, or maybe a snazzy jacket. Our "modern muscle" car guys stayed in the same class as they were in last year. Our only CAM car was a 66 Malibu that would have been classed in SM-Tire.

El_Tortuga
El_Tortuga New Reader
1/6/15 8:36 p.m.

Love my coyote mustang, it's a hoot to drive, but with its heft it's certainly not god's gift to autocross. I'm offended by the short bus allegations, I prefer "tallest midget". ;)

Lightly modded car and wanting to run street compound for the cost. CAM gives mea place to play with the other heavyweights. The mustang isn't very competitive in STU.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
1/7/15 6:49 a.m.
Rupert wrote: 3,000+ pounds, V-8 anyway you want it, little tires and wheels, no rules requiring decent brakes, a whole new crowd of Sonic cruisers & midnight street racers trying to turn left & right!! Sounds like a true recipe for disaster. I hope they allow lots of extra run-off room. But even then, I wouldn't want to be close enough to the "course" to chase cones!

As the kind of guy this class is targeted to, I can understand your fear. Most of us builder/drivers are a little too concerned about balling up our toys to really get stupid, so typically our times are slower.

Ive been running pro-touring cars in cp for years. All of them have either the biggest factory brakes, or a big brake conversion. Also, they all have the fattest rubber i can cram in all four corners.

Having autocrossed a stock 82 amc spirit once, I would never put a stock mudcle ir smog era sedan on grid.

Hope this alleviates some of your concern.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
1/7/15 9:05 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote:
Rupert wrote: 3,000+ pounds, V-8 anyway you want it, little tires and wheels, no rules requiring decent brakes, a whole new crowd of Sonic cruisers & midnight street racers trying to turn left & right!! Sounds like a true recipe for disaster. I hope they allow lots of extra run-off room. But even then, I wouldn't want to be close enough to the "course" to chase cones!
As the kind of guy this class is targeted to, I can understand your fear. Most of us builder/drivers are a little too concerned about balling up our toys to really get stupid, so typically our times are slower. Ive been running pro-touring cars in cp for years. All of them have either the biggest factory brakes, or a big brake conversion. Also, they all have the fattest rubber i can cram in all four corners. Having autocrossed a stock 82 amc spirit once, I would never put a stock mudcle ir smog era sedan on grid. Hope this alleviates some of your concern.

Most of the Pro-touring cars do have upgraded brakes, larger tires and better suspension, so they are as capable as most autox cars. Yes you may get the ones who don't do much to their cars, but hopefully they learn and update their cars along with their driving skills.

If you saw the cars that were at Nationals last year (2014), you wouldn't be as worried. There was some high-dollar hardware there, very well put together cars with great setups. One concern I see is that the pointy end of the stick will become very "pointy" with some of the high end pro-touring cars. This may scare off some from CAM, as they may see it as a cubic dollar class. I hope not, its way too much fun to see the cars running. If I still had my El Camino, this would be the class I would be in.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PjJ73kdprxxFQZlLi51ezdlrO1HMoa0MTuccJ2HKSLC9KUmHTeOZS3FR1aNNu82Z