Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/26/16 4:51 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

You won't be sorry.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/26/16 4:55 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Be sure to stop and say high when you get there.
I'll be the one with the race van. I guess you'll be the one with the beard.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/26/16 5:05 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote:
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: In reply to NordicSaab: That's because it's not a fat pig like this e36 m3 c4. You got through 02 ready for Gainesville? What you've done with that car that started out as a rust bucket is amazing
'02 is more ready than I ever expected. That car has impressed me more than ever i've ever worked on. I "felt" like it wanted to live every time I made a change to it.

Our piece of e36 M3 has been just the opposite. It seems PO'd everytime we solve one problem another on crops up. Like its mad were trying to resurrect it from its slumber.

Hacking away at her. Tonight is seat harness fabrication. Plus team member who was gonna do paint and body work finishing landed in hospital. Damn car is a curse....

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
9/26/16 5:12 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to mndsm: Be sure to stop and say high when you get there. I'll be the one with the race van. I guess you'll be the one with the beard.

Yeah. I'm hard to miss.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
9/26/16 5:16 p.m.

In reply to golfduke:

Just let me know when you're ready to form a team

Circuit_Motorsports
Circuit_Motorsports New Reader
9/26/16 5:18 p.m.

We built an M3 track car. Mistake.

rich911s
rich911s New Reader
9/26/16 5:35 p.m.

Ed, I seem to remember plenty of beer at the event last year ... is there a rule against bringing a keg? We were thinking of setting up a keg tent this year - for the non-drivers of course! Let us know if it's a non-starter before I slap down a deposit.

bigben
bigben New Reader
9/27/16 12:18 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote:
Stampie wrote: I wonder how many of us are going into this saying "Please don't let me get beat by one of the minivans."
I told my friends I'm shooting for top 50 odds are looking good right now.

I think I've got a shot at not being last as long as I can get someone else to take a couple runs in my car. There's going to be experienced guest drivers this year right?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/16 4:16 a.m.

It's probably a good question, "who are this years pro drivers?"
More so, which one is best experienced at flogging a fwd, 4,000+ lb minivan around the dance floor?

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
9/27/16 5:49 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I'm not a pro-driver, but otherwise fit that description.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
9/27/16 6:50 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I will be there to serve as a pro driver, and would be happy to flog your van hard enough to dazzle soccer moms everywhere.

For those new to the Challenge, I was the original "pro driver" for the event starting with the $1500 Challenge in 1999. I have manhandled a fascinating array of rescued project cars over the years. I enjoy adapting quickly to cars that don't necessarily handle like a new Porsche. If you trust me with your vehicle, I will strive to bring it back in one piece, and generate the best possible score for you.

FWIW, my SCCA Nationals trophies were earned in a MG Midget, two Mustang 5.0s, a Rabbit, two Jettas, a Civic Si, an MR2, two MX6's, three Plymouth Neon ACRs, a Corvette and a Boxster S.

As for minivans experience, my Dodge Caravan daily driver, purchased new, will probably pass the 200K mile mark on the trip to Gainesville.

Danny

n8
n8 New Reader
9/27/16 9:50 a.m.

In reply to rich911s:

Already campaigning for Challenger's Choice I see...

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
9/27/16 10:06 a.m.

Danny, Pencil us in on your dance card. Possibly for all of our runs, since Tod burned his leg. Though he refuses to admit he is hurt, once the skin falls off it might change his mind. Just sayin'.

The nice thing about Challenge cars is that it's impossible to do more the $2,000 worth of damage. (It's kind of true.)

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
9/27/16 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Danny Shields:

Okay Danny, you're my man.
You put some impressive times on last year's Q45!

You gotta love it when the credentials read, "blah blah blah...and I'm arriving in a high mileage Caravan."

I've already set a goal for us that we have to beat 1/3 of the other cars.

Flog that Dodge of yours hard on the way too. It'll be a good time to practice.

golfduke
golfduke HalfDork
9/27/16 12:13 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote: In reply to golfduke: Just let me know when you're ready to form a team

We could absolutely do this. We have a year to prepare, I have a garage, we live <1 hour apart, and we have a cornucopia of cheap crapcans in our area!

Only issue is you'll be on dad-duty pretty heavy for the next 1-2 years... Source: me, with a 7 year old.

We should explore this more however.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
9/27/16 12:43 p.m.

In reply to rich911s:

A few beers shared among friends is probably okay if it's kept low-key, but a keg tent (or just a keg) would not be cool with the Best Western, because it could be viewed as outside catering and that would have to be prearranged (and paid for) with the hotel.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
9/27/16 12:54 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: It's probably a good question, "who are this years pro drivers?" More so, which one is best experienced at flogging a fwd, 4,000+ lb minivan around the dance floor?
There are mini-vans that weigh more than 4000#????? Whoa! And I thought I just didn't like them because of the way they look!!!

I remember when Warren Mosler of Consulier fame built a full-size Dodge van from carbon fiber. Seems like it weighed about the same as a Miata. Does anyone know what ever happened to it?

Danny Shields
Danny Shields Reader
9/27/16 1:06 p.m.
spin_out wrote: Danny, Pencil us in on your dance card. Possibly for all of our runs, since Tod burned his leg. Though he refuses to admit he is hurt, once the skin falls off it might change his mind. Just sayin'. The nice thing about Challenge cars is that it's impossible to do more the $2,000 worth of damage. (It's kind of true.)

Ouch! Sorry to hear about Tod. Burns can really hurt, as you know. Hopefully it isn't too bad, if he is shrugging it off. You know I will help any way I can. I look forward to seeing if I can get a good time and not Spin Out.

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZZ2XyG4feiqemj3v49SslquX08W9l8I1fQxz6Qa7YWpsApUG2Cg4RTg5StfGId3t