1 2 3
FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/8/15 10:40 a.m.

Too bad the wheelbase limit for CAM-T is not 3" shorter (100"--->97"). Then a 68-70 AMX could compete. Its an underdog in the S class against the Corvettes.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
12/8/15 11:31 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: We should build a CAM car.

I kinda hate the class, It's sm on street tires and a nationalist rule keeping out all foreigners. I get the scca trying to grab some of these customers from the other sanctioning bodies but the exclusion of cars and the whole special rule set annoys me. Why can't I have a place to race my highly modified japanese car ons street tires? The same level of prep allowed by the cam classes puts me into EM. Also these other sanctioning bodies do a mickey mouse version of autocross and most of these guys get lost on a course that isn't completely lined in cones. also they need to trim down the number of characters used to describe the class, it just complicates things for out timing workers.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
12/8/15 11:33 a.m.

Build mine.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/8/15 11:51 a.m.
FSP_ZX2 wrote: Too bad the wheelbase limit for CAM-T is not 3" shorter (100"--->97"). Then a 68-70 AMX could compete. Its an underdog in the S class against the Corvettes.

Seriously. I've been dreaming of a max-effort 70 AMX autocross car for a few years now.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
12/8/15 1:14 p.m.
FSP_ZX2 wrote: Too bad the wheelbase limit for CAM-T is not 3" shorter (100"--->97"). Then a 68-70 AMX could compete. Its an underdog in the S class against the Corvettes.

If I'm reading the rules correctly, CAM-C and CAM-S have wheelbase restrictions, but CAM-T does not. Which would theoretically let someone run a AMC 401 powered Nash Metropolitan in CAM-T, although I can't imagine that would be a good idea.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/8/15 3:07 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:
If I'm reading the rules correctly, CAM-C and CAM-S have wheelbase restrictions, but CAM-T does not. Which would theoretically let someone run a AMC 401 powered Nash Metropolitan in CAM-T, although I can't imagine that would be a good idea.

401 Gremlin!

mtownneon
mtownneon Reader
12/8/15 3:51 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote:

CAM/T has the same minimum wheelbase as CAM/C. From the rules sheet: "All CAM-C restrictions apply except additional items below."

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
12/8/15 4:12 p.m.

Yeah--that's how I read it as well. The Gremlin/Spirit is 96", the AMX 2-seater is 97", and the Javelin and Hornet are 108". The best legal AMC car now would be a 70 Hornet Notchback (SC360 Body style). A 71-73 would work be each would be a bit haeavier...

This is my buddy's Gremmie...it's a 360. Built on a Schwartz chassis. If only...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/8/15 5:14 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Build mine.

Doh. JG is leaving tomorrow to fetch ours.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/8/15 5:30 p.m.

THIS:

plus this:

plus these:

David S. Wallens
12/9/15 3:51 p.m.

I dropped JG off at the airport a few hours ago. He's en route to get our CAM car.

He said that he'll post some teasers on the way back.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
12/9/15 4:17 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: I like it because it gives the Vettes/Vipers a place to play on street tires. With the 2015 rules it was A-street or stright to SSP/SSM/ASP if you had any mods (minus the standard C5 that can play in STU). There are 4 C5Z cars in my region alone that are loving this new classing for next year.

That is the same thing that happens to a Mazdaspeed Miata. No street tire classes if you change out the intake, which is pretty much the first thing I have done on my daily drivers for the last 20 years.

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
12/9/15 4:20 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I dropped JG off at the airport a few hours ago. He's en route to get our CAM car. He said that he'll post some teasers on the way back.

C3 Vette???

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 SuperDork
12/9/15 6:36 p.m.

In reply to evildky: Street Mod actually has quite the restrictions on it, CAM is relatively lax. Write the SCCA some letters or e-mails, and have some similar people do the same. If enough people have Japanese cars similar to the CAM guys prep wise, they will make a new class for the rest of the cars with street tires.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
12/9/15 9:30 p.m.
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: I dropped JG off at the airport a few hours ago. He's en route to get our CAM car. He said that he'll post some teasers on the way back.
C3 Vette???

Sadly no.

One day, though. One day...

David S. Wallens
12/9/15 9:35 p.m.

Yup. One day that will be us.

David S. Wallens
12/10/15 9:56 a.m.

GRM CAM update: Sounds like JG is taking possession of the car now.

If not, it's a long walk back home.

David S. Wallens
12/10/15 10:51 a.m.

Car is getting a bath.

David S. Wallens
12/10/15 2:32 p.m.

And we now have some baseline dyno figures:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/10/15 2:42 p.m.

Now that we know it's low powered, what is it?

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
12/10/15 3:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

Oh my, that's quite a starting point for power. Looks to be about the neighborhood a mildly worked over (heads, cam, headers, ect) LS1 would land you...

David S. Wallens
12/10/15 4:03 p.m.
Furious_E wrote: In reply to David S. Wallens: Oh my, that's quite a starting point for power. Looks to be about the neighborhood a mildly worked over (heads, cam, headers, ect) LS1 would land you...

And we haven't even bolted on a supercharger yet.

David S. Wallens
12/10/15 4:55 p.m.

And the cat's out of the bag:

https://www.facebook.com/grassrootsmotorsports/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/10/15 6:08 p.m.

Oooooooooo....time to talk to Terry Fair, he's pretty good at making those things dance. He also LOVES to talk, so I'm sure he'll tell you something useful.

Furious_E
Furious_E Reader
12/10/15 6:31 p.m.

Nice! We have an 05ish Mustang Mustang locally that runs ESP that is very well prepped, well driven, and FAAAAST. I'd hate to see what another 100+ stock hp at the flywheel would do in that chassis.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uOXLZ0zBGD64P5yNVaZz1ry9qoGqRlulTOWVo0Uya88Sa4T8rlLwF5LfgGeEGPxK