1 2
FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
3/22/21 2:20 p.m.
Dylanote said:

In reply to Dylanote :

... I'm young and confused

If you're old enough to buy a car, you are an adult. There's folks likely your age leading squads and platoons in combat today. 

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/22/21 2:21 p.m.
FatMongo said:
Dylanote said:

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

.... last time it says low compression cylinder 1 so the replaced all the all4 pistons with piston kit 

Wait, what???

I was wondering the same thing.  If a rebuild is "needed", an engine swap is a whole lot cheaper and faster for all.  Let alone more reliable.

wae
wae UberDork
3/22/21 2:48 p.m.

Assuming that it wasn't a car that sat on the lot for a few years before being sold for the first time, a 2017 isn't likely to be covered by Lemon Law statutes at this point.  Every state is different, of course, but I think that most of them stick to 2 years and it applies only to the original owner of a new car.  That said, you should have a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty on the powertrain, so they've got some level of obligation but they're allowed to make you work a little harder for it.

When you say that you took it to the dealer you bought it from...  Are we talking about a Chevrolet dealer, some other GM brand, some other brand new car dealer, or just a used car lot/franchise? 

A lean condition and they replaced the.. pistons?  Seems kinda odd.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/22/21 3:13 p.m.

So, did some digging on GM Service Information.

Searching P0171 pulled up four bulletins for 2017 Camaros, although one of them only applies to the V8 models.

#PIP5725A: Summer Grade Gasoline Waiver Allows Use of Winter Grade Surplus Potential Drivability Concerns P0300 P0171 P0174 P228C Fuel Smell Odor Longer Extended Cranking Time Hesitation Engine Stalls

That says that in rare instances some customers may complain about a fuel smell / odor, longer starts, hesitation and under extreme cases, engine stalls.  Technician may also find any combination of DTC's P0300, P0171, P0174, P228C set. The ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has caused significant reductions in driving and fuel use.  Due to the surplus of winter grade fuel sitting in storage (pipelines/stations) the EPA is waiving the fuel vapor requirement. This will extend the use of winter fuel into the summer months. The use of winter fuel in summer weather may cause drivability concerns. This should not be single events but should be multiple occurrences associated with hot days.

#20-NA-098: Information on Fuel Injector Replacement Guidelines During Service, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTCs P0300-P0308, P050D, P0171, P0172, P0174, P0175, P2099, P219A, and/or P219B Set - (May 5, 2020)

That just addresses drivability concerns that occur after fuel injector replacement. So unless you've had the injectors replaced, then ignore that guy.

#PIP5529B: Stall Hesitation P0068 P0101 P0106 P0131 P0137 P0171 P0324 P0326 P0331 P0506 CV LKW LTG Loose Intake Manifold Bolts - (Sep 6, 2019)

Apparently some LTG (2.0T) vehicles have had drivability troubles and a lean code from intake manifolds that weren't properly torqued. The dealer is supposed to apply threadlocker to all the bolts and torque them if they find a loose one. This could be your huckleberry.

There are two bulletins pertaining to replacing pistons for low compression, so if it had low compression and they put pistons in, that is not that unusual. We put pistons and rings in 1.5Ls (misfires, low compression) and 2.4Ls (oil consumption) with regularity. I've never done any in an LTG, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. It's direct-injected and a turbo motor, and stoichastic preignition is a mean bitch. The first bulletin is #PI1178F: Engine Runs Rough with Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) On, Low Compression on Cylinder with Misfire, DTC P0300 Set, which talks about cracks between compression rings. No cause listed, whether it is just a metallurgical failure or something caused by a mechanical condition (like possibly a lean misfire) The other is #16-NA-241: Engine Misfire, Ticking/Knocking Noise, No Compression due to Piston Damage, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated which talks about holes blown in pistons from non-OEM calibrations (and includes some really spectacular photographs). You don't have a tune or any mods on this thing do you? I had a Caddy ATS 2.0T in that had no compression on one cylinder and then I accidentally nuked the guy's warranty when I sent an ECM calibration check to GM and he had non-OEM calibrations in there.

If you want to tell me the VIN, I can access GM Vehicle History and tell you what they reported doing to it under warranty.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
3/22/21 10:28 p.m.

I get a weird partial bot vibe from the OP.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/23/21 5:54 a.m.

Ya, the OP isn't making much sense.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/23/21 2:19 p.m.
Dylanote said:

In reply to dean1484 :

I called today to get the receipt of my last repair but they first told me they can't find it at all.

They said all they have is a simple car wash.... so I asked to speak to someone in charge and now they are telling me I have to physically come to the dealership to request it so they can verify my identity. Which I think is BS, so I'm going back today towing my car there and gunna try to get my receipt and start this new repair if someone could please please help me idk if you can private message on this website but please message me or msg me on Discord caprisun#9699 I really need help I'm a youngin and confused af

Hummmm  This does not make much sence or english is not the OP's first language.  Or?  

Dylano
Dylano New Reader
3/24/21 8:54 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Or I'm positing from my phone... anyways I got locked out of my last account but now they are telling me they won't fix my car because they tested the gas and it is showing not premium but I only run premium now they are telling me they tested the gas and they won't fix the car because Gm won't cover it I ONLY RUN PREMIUM

3/24/21 9:02 a.m.

Unless they show you anywhere where GM *requires* premium fuel, they are lying.

And it's highly unlikely that a dealer has the capability to test a fuel if it's premium or not.  Since it costs money to send it out, they would not do that, either.

The only fuel you are legally not covered for is any non-road fuel.  Like Av-fuel.  If the fuel is from any commercially available gas station, there's no fault by the fuel.

I'd bet that GM has a hotline you can call, I know Ford has one.

Dylano
Dylano New Reader
3/24/21 9:44 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

I told them to show me where it says required on the car and they couldn't show me anything that said required only said recommended, they are still telling me GM denied the repair so they gave me a phone number to call and open a case

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/24/21 11:27 a.m.

I am 100% certain that some podunk dealership does not have the capability of testing fuel octane.  The equipment to do that is incredibly expensive.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/24/21 11:29 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Man, you ain't kidding.

Snrub
Snrub Dork
3/24/21 12:41 p.m.

(I'm trying to stay out of this) I wonder if it is possible the dealership is inferring low octane fuel based on knock sensor data? ie. Something with multiple possible root causes.

Going forward, I'd recommend you ask dealerships to put on the receipts all assertions and important details. They typically write down few details. Insist upon extra information, such as how they determined fuel octane, or decisions others make down the road may be impacted by incomplete/incorrect information. Ask follow up questions to anything they tell you that seems significant. Try to get them to write down that the fuel octane is incorrect, based on tests x, y, z. Warranty doesn't apply to Fuel of octane less than 93 octane? Ask them to write that down explicitly. It may be too late, but ask them to write down why the owners manual suggests 87 is acceptable and why it is wrong.

Do you have your fuel receipts?

Dylano - I think folks here want to support you. Just throw in some periods and letter capitalization to help with readability.

Dylano
Dylano New Reader
3/24/21 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

I do not have my fuel receipts but I do pay with my card so I have transaction history but no specifications

FatMongo
FatMongo Reader
3/24/21 1:50 p.m.

Which shop 'replaced all 4 pistons' - the dealership where the car is at now or another dealership? How long has it been (miles) since all 4 pistons were replaced?

There's giant gaps of information in the narrative you are relaying and without that information, no ones is going to be able to give you good advice.

3/24/21 1:56 p.m.
Dylano said:

In reply to alfadriver (Forum Supporter) :

I told them to show me where it says required on the car and they couldn't show me anything that said required only said recommended, they are still telling me GM denied the repair so they gave me a phone number to call and open a case

That's BS.  GM showed that the car meets all requirements on regular fuel.  They also showed that they fuel would not make it fail.  They have to by law.

GM is required by law to fix the car when it is being used normally and it fails like that.  There's no way around that, and remind them that you can contact the EPA to enforce that.  EPA.GOV should have some links to turn eveyrone in.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/24/21 5:42 p.m.

Sorry to say this, but vehicle warranties and Lemon Laws are not what they once were. It's just how it is these days. Laws and regulations don't always mean much today. Case in point; just research the Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth EVAP system failures of the last 10 years or so, and you'll find owners that were stuck making payments on their newly purchased vehicles that they could not register due to said EVAP failures (that neither Chrysler dealerships, nor independent shops could repair). Chrysler refused to release these victims from their loan/payment terms.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
3/24/21 8:30 p.m.

This whole story is starting to sound like a "2 fents, 1 crub" saga.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/24/21 9:19 p.m.

In reply to newrider3 :

No mention of a load cam knock.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/24/21 10:34 p.m.

New Plan;  Drive it like you stole it and blow it up.  Then put an LS street rod crate motor in it. Problem Solved!!!   ;-)

The way this is sounding you may be better off in the long run in terms of both $$$$ and time.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OvkULt8Twe2leap3lK0ynaKZ3SVCSfzVyTvJxOyUveUf5TEUiAPu3sDtOjkFfoSo