8 9 10 11 12
wae
wae SuperDork
2/1/19 4:32 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Also, I mean, yeah this really sucks for the OP and it certainly isn't something that GM can brag about, but it's one car out of.. how many did GM build and sell in North America in MY2017?  The impact is extremely high on one particular person and I do think it's a bit crazy that they can't figure it out already, but even if it made front page news all across the land, I think most people would shrug it off as a one-off.  If you had one of these stories for every fourth dealership in the network, then it might be a PR problem.  And if they flat out told the OP that they were going to cancel his warranty or that for whatever reason they weren't going to work on this problem for him any more as part of the warranty, then you'd have a different story.  But I think the sound bite from the PR folks at GM would be something along the lines of how this is "an unfortunate isolated situation with a car that is presenting a particularly difficult-to-diagnose problem and they are working diligently with their dealer network to find the source of the issue and make things right for the valued customer under the warranty".

Not that I think the OP should be happy with what he's in the middle of here -- it really sucks and I'd be irate if I were him.  But I don't know that this would elevate to PR disaster for GM.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/1/19 4:42 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
CyberEric said:

GM GM GM, wake UP! Cooperate General Motors, if you care at all about your PR, I highly suggest you do something to resolve this, yesterday.

so, suddenly on page 9, your call to action is going to get something going at GM?   and who do you think Cooperate (sic?  Corporate?) GM is going to call?   Oh wait, I know, they'll call GM Engineering.   so if you scroll up this page, you'll see a not-so-thinly-veiled suggestion that IVE BEEN TRYING BEHIND THE SCENES TO GET THE OP TO GIVE ME THE berkeleyING VIN SO I CAN ENGAGE MY PEOPLE AT GM ENGINEERING TO SOLVE HIS berkeleyING PROBLEM!!!

Username checks out smiley

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/1/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to wae :

That's because it's GM, so they're not afraid of things other companies would worry about, like killing dozens of people or going bankrupt!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
2/1/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I LOL’d.

also, My first name is Justified

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/1/19 5:30 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair :

Kick ass and take names, man.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/1/19 6:10 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Knurled. :

I LOL’d.

I thought it was Patrick

classicJackets
classicJackets Dork
2/1/19 7:04 p.m.

OP, looking forward to seeing a solution to your problem!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/1/19 7:09 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

In reply to Knurled. :

I LOL’d.

Can we call you justy?  JustyCorvair.  hmmm...

Blazer0981
Blazer0981
2/1/19 11:06 p.m.

Can someone explain the 'berkeley' stuff? What's with that? 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
2/1/19 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Blazer0981 :

Swear word filter. berkeley is the f word. E36 M3 the S, and there's a few more.

NickD
NickD UberDork
2/2/19 9:54 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Blazer0981 :

Swear word filter. berkeley is the f word. E36 M3 the S, and there's a few more.

What's the logic behind that one? Is it because Berkeleys are F-ed up little cars?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
2/2/19 10:04 a.m.
NickD said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Blazer0981 :

What's the logic behind that one? Is it because Berkeleys are F-ed up little cars?

Well, they are no E36 M3s...

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
2/2/19 10:38 a.m.
NickD said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Blazer0981 :

Think it’s because the berkeley they built made them say berkeley when they tried to control it

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/2/19 11:11 a.m.

Well, like all long posts it has taken off in another direction.    Typical GRM

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
2/2/19 12:39 p.m.

In reply to iceracer :

Is it worse that I attempted to keep it on target? I mean what has the world come to?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/2/19 12:42 p.m.
Patrick said:
NickD said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Blazer0981 :

Think it’s because the berkeley they built made them say berkeley when they tried to control it

I don’t think so. 

berkeley was the filter word before they built the berkeley. 

RevRico
RevRico PowerDork
2/2/19 12:56 p.m.
iceracer said:

Well, like all long posts it has taken off in another direction.    Typical GRM

Well I mean, I'm surprised Snrub hasn't lit that piece of E36 M3 on fire and sent it through the berkeleying entry of the dealership by now

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/2/19 6:15 p.m.
SVreX said:
Patrick said:
NickD said:
RevRico said:

In reply to Blazer0981 :

I don’t think so. 

berkeley was the filter word before they built the berkeley. 

I read this post, and the first thing that came to mind was, "Well, berkeley has always meant berkeley, even before Grassrooots...Now, wait a minute..."  

Resistance is futile.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte UltraDork
2/2/19 6:30 p.m.

I once had a problem with a clothes dryer, I told the young lady that she didn't make enough money to talk to me about this problem I wanted to talk to her supervisor eventually I found a persin that didn't take phone calls and I asked if they would make phone calls,I would have slapped E36 M3 but it splatters

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
2/8/19 5:13 p.m.

The car has been at the dealership for another 2 weeks. They are giving the car back. Both the dealership, the GM "brand assurance" manager and GM "customer care" believe it is reasonable and proper to have simply changed the spark plugs and returned the car. The dealership has committed to giving me their internal file, or as much of it as they can share.

GM customer care believes I should go back to the same dealership "if" (aka "when") the CEL comes back on. My feeling is the fixed operations manager is sending me a message with the attempt to blame the intermittent use of the OBDII reader. I suspect he's coming at me with both barrels to protect his dealership from spending any more unpaid time investigating my unfixable car. I'm thinking maybe I should heed the message before he shows me what he's really capable of.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
2/8/19 5:25 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Berkeley that, show him what you're really capable of. If this doesn't fix the car, get as much of your file as you can and write to the CBC. Not many things put a company to the fire like negative press coverage.

TJL
TJL Reader
2/9/19 7:08 a.m.

I would certainly think twice about buying ANY GM product after reading this guys tales of junk support and blaming him for an obvious problem.  

Dave M
Dave M Reader
2/9/19 9:04 a.m.
TJL said:

I would certainly think twice about buying ANY GM product after reading this guys tales of junk support and blaming him for an obvious problem.  

I think part of it is that it is a pre-owned car, but under warranty. Another part of it IMHO is that he is in Canada. And, finally, GM (and Ford for that matter) have a well-earned reputation for crapping on their customers. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
2/9/19 9:07 a.m.

I asked for them to prove to me with data that the problem is solved. They claimed to compare to another 6th gen Camaro SS that was owned by someone at the dealership and is being sold to someone else. They said the fuel trims on this Camaro were worse than mine. They did not mention any remedy, so I'm assuming the transaction proceeded as is. I feel sorry for the poor person who bought it. If they've done a decent amount of road testing, there's an easy way to confirm the problem with my car - are the spark plug becoming carboned up again? That should tell them whether the problem was my OBDII reader, or something else. Clearly they're not interested in doing this, because perhaps one would argue they'd have to work on the car again.

Another thing - I know my problems are unusual, but here's some food for thought.

1. I was given an Impala Premier vehicle with 200 miles. The moonroof seal was clearly defective, the car was much louder on the highway than my wife's subcompact economy car which I always thought was a bit too loud and I don't really care about such things. If you read reviews of this car, they praise how quiet it normally is (eg. C&D reviewed the exact model).

2. I was given a Cruze RS with ~1400 miles. I was warming up the car and the keys auto locked in the car, would not open and I had to call roadside assistance. There is a setting which you can modify which will permit this to happen, but I looked it up and it was set correctly. The Camaro has the same generation of fob, etc. and it does not do this. A few other times the unlock buttons on the door handle have refused to open the door with the fob in my pocket.

So in my recent, limited experiences with basically new GM vehicles I've encountered 3 defects in 3 cars. Coincidence, or is there an underlying quality issue?

JmfnB
JmfnB MegaDork
2/9/19 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

For the record I had a 2005 Cobalt LT Base 2.2L 5M and 2012 Cruze  1RF 1.4T 6A and put 235,000 miles on the pair with only two issues, a bad PCV/valve cover and steering sector shafts. I currently own a 2013 Ford Focus SE 2.0L 6A that has a bad DCT transmission on it's third clutch, third set of ball joints, the Electronic Power Steering is inoperable and the central locking system randomly locks you in or out of the car at it's own will. It has 70k miles.

I am going to state that my experience greatly favors GM.

8 9 10 11 12

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7up3aFNk2RQ0knnIQmteNeNJ95FVT7U3m7GBRKCQ6YlZRRtvESFdtexrUT6NoPLS