9 10 11 12 13
Chadeux
Chadeux HalfDork
10/18/16 1:49 a.m.

Rear leaf spring requirement?

Guess whoever got lucky finding one of these is out of luck.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
10/18/16 7:29 a.m.

Needs leaf springs? Ok

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/18/16 8:00 a.m.

Leaf spring or Buggy spring All The Same.!Coil spring, Coil over ?, I would like to speak to (stan) the F-150 Owner. About the set-up he used. So If you Have a Production Frame Or.... Body/cab, Saw'll Good, Over, under, sideways, down. what ever you want as long as something Major is Produced by a factory,any Factory auto related. Onward Through the Fog. Me thinks Trucks will be BIG next year

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
10/18/16 8:54 a.m.

Ya'll are reading way too far into this. Just bring whatever you think a truck is next year and let's race!

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/18/16 8:59 a.m.

You'd think, with most of us being americans, it wouldn't be so hard to define the vehicle that defines us to most of the world.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/18/16 9:15 a.m.

We'll also accept the vehicle that defines the Aussies as well.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/18/16 9:28 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: We'll also accept the vehicle that defines the Aussies as well.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
10/18/16 9:36 a.m.
SVreX wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: We'll also accept the vehicle that defines the Aussies as well.

This would only be better if it were steve with a mason jar of homemade alcohol

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
10/18/16 9:52 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Ya'll are reading way too far into this. Just bring whatever you think a truck is next year and let's race!

I once got 7 GM automatics into a Honda Accord.................I beat the crap outta that Cartruck.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
10/18/16 10:09 a.m.
Vracer111 wrote: A truck should be defined on what it can do and its chassis layout, besides a vehicle having an open bed - it is a specific class of vehicle. If you can fit a full size refridgerator in the bed, haul a minimum of a 1000lb load in the bed, AND tow a minimum of 3500lbs, then it could be considered for a truck category. That said, to solidify it being called a truck a ladder frame, RWD/4WD with solid/live-axle rear, AND rear leaf spring or airbag based suspension should be chassis requirements. Meets all the above...boom, it's a truck, no matter what. A Truck class would be cool and something I would like to enter, but not if it's a 'Psuedo Truck' class... Vracer111, who autocrossed a stock ride height extended cab Tacoma in the Houston region for 4 years, and was quicker than half the field in their sports cars...

there are plenty of small trucks that dont meet those qualifications, not just the unibody trucks like the old VW rabbit trucks. I'm pretty sure an early 80's toyota isnt rated to tow 3500 lbs and 1000 lbs in the bed of it would probably have it sitting on bump stops, and it got leaf springs and a full frame under it, pretty much as 'truck' as it gets by those standards.

classifying a truck is pretty easy in my mind, it has a defined bed and a defined cab, simple as that.

that cover's your el camino, ranchero, ramage, etc. that fall in to the 'unibody' trucks and still fits your body on frame trucks. I am all for people cutting there car down to make a truck out of it, just make sure the cab is a defined area and the bed is a defined area, not just remove the trunk lid and say "its a truck now"

example: this 240sx has a very easily defined bed space seperate of the cab, thats a truck now in my eyes

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
10/18/16 10:22 a.m.

In reply to edizzle89:

that 240sx is now a VERY COOL truck in my eyes.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
10/18/16 11:04 a.m.
maschinenbau wrote: Ya'll are reading way too far into this. Just bring whatever you think a truck is next year and let's race!

I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that fewer than 5 vehicles that started out originally as a truck will appear at next year's challenge. That's not saying there won't be a lot of trucks made out of something else in abundance.

That being said I'm measuring Bolus and Snopes stake bed Lumber as we speak.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
10/20/16 9:32 p.m.
sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
10/21/16 6:10 a.m.
stroker wrote: I dare you. Go on, I dare you. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/5835473545.html

Where are you from, I'm from "Bonner springs" rotfl.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
10/21/16 4:54 p.m.

In reply to stroker:

Thats eye candy right there

stroker
stroker SuperDork
10/22/16 8:35 p.m.

Another one. Even cheaper and a Chebby, too....

http://springfield.craigslist.org/cto/5796250871.html

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
10/23/16 7:10 p.m.

A lot of GM 1/2 ton trucks were built with coils in the back. That is were the "truck arm" suspension design came from.

schnapsmann
schnapsmann New Reader
11/6/16 5:37 p.m.

Does anyone plan on building a real truck?

Stampie
Stampie Dork
11/6/16 5:52 p.m.

In reply to schnapsmann:

I plan on my truck being able to haul ass.

In its current form it's a long way from that.

bluej
bluej UltraDork
11/6/16 6:39 p.m.

Bring on the Danger Ranger Brigade! Or B2300 brigade in my case, but still...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
11/6/16 7:28 p.m.

Does my sierra Denali count? It was going to the scrap yard be for i claimed it. I also just picked up a 2003 GMC sierra 2500 for $1000 off Craig's list. AWD 6.0l goodness

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
11/6/16 8:07 p.m.
Does anyone plan on building a real truck?

Im mostly thinking Rampage at this point, although i also have a cool looking 88 Chevy 1500 i could build.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
11/6/16 8:19 p.m.

I am building a s10. Its a real truck...

maschinenbau
maschinenbau Reader
11/7/16 12:43 p.m.

I already spilled the beans on my '31 Model A Pickup. Probably does not count as a "real truck" but hey it has a straight-six, stick-shift, and solid rear axle.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
11/13/16 8:26 p.m.

A big thanks to pimpm3 who I bought this truck from, and wae whose truck and trailer I borrowed to pick it up. 36.5 hours from Ohio to Jacksonville and back. I'll be starting a build thread once I get time to dig into it.

9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cNnB68lvybFZNxToVzwoshSLAZsxjBnP2im9XNPWoCoVjflc9UBIuLloLpr5h0Tt