maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
1/24/17 2:27 p.m.

I really doubt I can keep the Rice Rod budget down without compromising the goals I have for it after the Challenge. But I promise I'll try.

Also I don't have a (full-size) truck so I would have to drive it down. From Indiana.

Robbie
Robbie UltraDork
1/24/17 3:07 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote: I really doubt I can keep the Rice Rod budget down without compromising the goals I have for it after the Challenge. But I promise I'll try. Also I don't have a (full-size) truck so I would have to drive it down. From Indiana.

I hope to have a similarly hilarious transport trip to and from. We will be going through Indy. Willing to caravan.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/24/17 3:08 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I knew this, but did you know that the convertible is classed as a car. The reason being that the rear seat does not fold on the convertible, one of the technicalities of SUV. Also, the PT Cruiser is classed as an SUV, not a pickup truck. But...

PT cruiser gt parking lot truckification anyone?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
1/24/17 3:13 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I knew this, but did you know that the convertible is classed as a car. The reason being that the rear seat does not fold on the convertible, one of the technicalities of SUV. Also, the PT Cruiser is classed as an SUV, not a pickup truck. But...

That's the least offensive PT Cruiser I've seen in a LONG time.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/24/17 3:18 p.m.

This manual, turbo with the dentfor $1200 got some of this chatter started.

Inspiration:

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
1/24/17 3:58 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
maschinenbau wrote: I really doubt I can keep the Rice Rod budget down without compromising the goals I have for it after the Challenge. But I promise I'll try. Also I don't have a (full-size) truck so I would have to drive it down. From Indiana.
I hope to have a similarly hilarious transport trip to and from. We will be going through Indy. Willing to caravan.

If we all convoy our trucks down to the Challenge together, surely someone can tow whoever breaks down first. The extra load of towing will cause that one to break down too, so the next biggest truck will tow the two of them. Rinse and repeat until we have a GRM Truck Challenge Road Train.

Dbussey1
Dbussey1 Reader
1/24/17 4:05 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I dig that.

Any way to keep that thing stiff (or you know, stiff as a convertible PT cruiser gets) once you hack off that much of the unibody?

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
1/24/17 9:41 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: I knew this, but did you know that the convertible is classed as a car. The reason being that the rear seat does not fold on the convertible, one of the technicalities of SUV. Also, the PT Cruiser is classed as an SUV, not a pickup truck. But...

I feel like I should hate this more than I do...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
1/25/17 10:52 a.m.
Lof8 wrote: The current status of my Challenge truck  photo 765990EC-0763-4EA1-A132-444FFED07AD0_zps4eo5qtjk.jpg

Awesome!

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/25/17 11:29 a.m.
Dbussey1 wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: I dig that. Any way to keep that thing stiff (or you know, stiff as a convertible PT cruiser gets) once you hack off that much of the unibody?

I wonder if you could keep the style bar, then weld/glue/screw a piece of roof section from a regular pt cruiser to create a hardtop pt pickup.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/25/17 1:19 p.m.

I am thinking 4 door turbo. Cut roof behind drivers seat. Cut hatch up to fit in space behind seats. Weld up holes. Weld back doors up. Wood deck in back. Ghetto Pickup.

I think it could be done poorly in the parking lot...

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/25/17 1:42 p.m.

No need to convince me.
I have considered a cheap PT GT for a couple of years now. I had not considered as a pickup but why not!

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/25/17 2:40 p.m.

Well, I may have one for this year... but to get into the budget I'd need to sell the wheels on it... and I really like the wheels.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/25/17 7:52 p.m.

I'm posting this up for anyone else (so I don't have to do it myself)

$1k PT Convertible, turbo manual

Also, another Mopar 2.2L oddity...

Rare LeBaron VNT coupe

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
1/26/17 7:32 a.m.

You guys are weird.

...but wow that LeBaron piques my interest in an uncomfortable, 3rd-gen-Camaro-lust kind of way

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/26/17 8:13 a.m.

I've put unreasonable amounts of thought into driving the D350 down to spectate/volunteer. Won't be competing obviously due to both budget and 85 series tire coming off of a wheel related concerns.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/26/17 8:50 a.m.

In reply to Chadeux:

There has been a Dodge 350 (tow vehicle) on the autox course before for a fun run.

Pass tech and you can likely get it down the drag strip too.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/26/17 9:56 a.m.

and I'm out again....

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
1/26/17 10:12 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

I'll take this information under consideration as I figure out if I can even find the time/money to make the trip.

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
1/26/17 10:14 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: and I'm out again....

Don't make me drive up there and force you to ride all the way to Gainesville in the passenger's seat of a C4 Vette.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
1/26/17 10:40 a.m.
petegossett wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: and I'm out again....
Don't make me drive up there and force you to ride all the way to Gainesville in the passenger's seat of a C4 Vette.

Got a couple others we are looking at. Really wanting a manual trans truck though.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
1/27/17 10:06 p.m.

I'll be back

<a href=" photo DSCN0893_zpscan6dbrx.jpg"><img

<a href="<img

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/29/17 1:02 p.m.

I just put this on my instagram in non-challenge-related context but i just realized it contains my last challenger, and potentially.. my next one?

Disregard minivan AC compressor in this context.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
2/16/17 12:58 p.m.

I'm all ready for the Challenge now . . .

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
2/16/17 1:11 p.m.

Only your first 4 tires are budget exempt.

Our Preferred Partners
zB4ILLTMw6xNATKFRiOQUq0txuQNB4MjwCweKnv3nJQFSZfzSztpcms7WcMQGWnC