2 3 4 5 6
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/17/18 10:55 a.m.

The lyrics sort of jive....

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin',
We're gonna do what they say can't be done.
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

I'm east bound, just watch ol' "Bandit" run.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
8/17/18 10:59 a.m.

I can try and cut a big stencil for you if that is something that you would be interested in.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/17/18 11:32 a.m.
93EXCivic said:
John Welsh said:

New Inspiration, being that the car is black...  

Hot. This would be awesome.

If this can be done (and since the driver's side rear quarter DOES need paint), I would vote for this one. This is hot.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/17/18 11:33 a.m.
JamesMcD said:
93EXCivic said:
John Welsh said:

If this can be done (and since the driver's side rear quarter DOES need paint), I would vote for this one. This is hot.

Also, could someone please check that I didn't already say this two years ago?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UltraDork
8/17/18 11:37 a.m.

In reply to JamesMcD :

Was this the car you were selling a while back?

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/17/18 11:41 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to JamesMcD :

Was this the car you were selling a while back?

Yep! (see the link in the first post).

and James, that mr2 for sale thread was the thread I was searching for when I stumbled on your textbook thread from 2016.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
8/17/18 11:46 a.m.

This with gold wheels and the mr2 bird logo.  Burt Reynolds theme.. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/17/18 1:25 p.m.
JamesMcD said:
93EXCivic said:
John Welsh said:

This. Times eleventy godzillion. Smokey & the bandit is played the berkeley out many times over.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
8/17/18 4:39 p.m.

And that paint scheme matches exactly the panels which need to be painted anyhow (doors and quarters, the rest of the black paint is pretty decent).

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/17/18 6:38 p.m.
JamesMcD said:

And that paint scheme matches exactly the panels which need to be painted anyhow (doors and quarters, the rest of the black paint is pretty decent).

I agree with James. That’s a very doable scheme in the parking lot, avoids attempting a repaint in the middle of the night, and addresses virtually every issue the car’s panels have. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/17/18 8:03 p.m.

Here are some of my thoughts on how to achieve a PLB-doable version of the inspiration below.

The tri-color that runs vertical on the AE86 is cool but will be cumbersome.  I would focus more like the Celica and concentrate on some easy vertical (angled) vinyl.  Dont try to keep the white space in between like the Celica just butt the colors right up to each other like the AE86

The thick rub-rail/door guard/body trim that runs the middle of the MR2 door is going to cause hassle with either paint or vinyl.  I would concentrate the tri-colors only to the area above that body line.  This way the vinyl would start at the top of the body line and continue right up to the window trim.  

From the point of the rearmost of that rub-rail (under the gas cap) to the rear-most of the c-pillar I would recommend the last of the vinyl.  This will keep the vinyl off the complex curve of the wheel-lip/fender flare.  Everything after there would be a long section of white in paint.  The reason for paint is that I bet paint will do an easier job to get the fender flare.  

So, from the rear, white paint to about the gas cap.  This will be painted first.  Once dried enough and angle of yellow vinyl, an angle of orange vinyl and finished with an angle of red.  The red should not touch the front fender but rather begin on the door (sort of similar to the Celica)

I think with white vinyl magnet you should make your own 98 number panel (like shown above on the Celica). Use magnet because then, after the event taking off the GRM number panel wont ruin your vinyl.  GRM does allow for reserved numbers and the use of your own number panel as long as it is legible. 

Now, under the body line/rub-rail you are left with a large open black spot.  This would be a cool area to add a Toyota logo like shown above on the AE86, but...  Since you have not used the GRM number panel and the name GRM is not shown on the car, the easy fix here would be to apply a GRM window decal to this are and thereby represent GRM.

I have no photoshop skills.  Maybe Gameboy can whip something up off these idea    

The entire front clip of the car will remain black so to break that up a bit some tri-colors should be added to the hood if possible.  Would also be cool if this finished with another white sheet magnet number panel.   Inspiration:

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/17/18 8:33 p.m.

PLB, where we spend more time on the theme than building the car. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/17/18 10:39 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

PLB, where we spend more time on the theme than building the car. 

I'm loving it! 

Keep the ideas coming all. The only way we make this all happened is by having a good plan going in.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/18 6:27 a.m.

I enjoy the design aspect more that the aspect of "will these axles work?" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UltraDork
8/18/18 7:31 a.m.

I really like the graphics on that AE86, my vote goes to that.

I've been thinking about the actual build part of this, and I think the way to go (assuming things don't just melt down into chaos) will be to have two main groups, we'll call them A and B.  So the overview of the build would look something like this:

1:
A)
 Remove stock engine, transmission, axles, wiring, pedal assy.
B) Prep SC engine and trans, install clutch, mate the two together.

2:
A)
 Install SC wiring harness, manual shifter, pedal assy.  Assist B when done.
B) Swap fuel pump, install SC engine and trans.

3:
A)
 Connect axles, shifter cables, plumbing.  Assist when done.
B) Connect wiring, troubleshoot wiring, get engine to fire.

4:
A)
 Suspension and graphics.
B) Any remaining SC plumbing, exhaust, etc.

People can jump between the two groups at will but having the distinction between them will probably help a lot at the beginning.  We may want to have designated runners for parts/fluids/paint/food/drink as well as a person documenting, both would be separate from these groups.

We'll probably also want a piece of cardboard with two wishlists for "stuff" and "people" that we can add to and keep on display for people to jump in.  So 6 hours in it might say:
"Stuff: CV grease, JB weld, gear oil"
"People: Wiring wizard, aluminum TIG expert (BYOW)"

I don't know if any of this is a good idea, just brainstorming.

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/18/18 8:28 a.m.

Don’t bother running for food just call 5 star pizza.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/18 8:46 a.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Plus one million. Great pizza! 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/18/18 9:46 a.m.
John Welsh said:

In reply to Patrick :

Plus one million. Great pizza! 

I ALWAYS find the good food 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/18/18 10:21 a.m.

so. I had this idea this morning, what if we take ideas from multiple designs and the bad spots? some thing like this:

I think this is simple enough to do in the parking lot and not a ton of vinyl plus it covers the bad paint. Thoughts?

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
8/18/18 10:23 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

This is a great idea!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/18/18 10:45 a.m.

Not bad, I like it!

Could maybe do with some more stripes on the spoiler and hood, just to make it look nicer/less plain.

I'm thinking a copy of the side stripes going up the sides of the hood?

noddaz
noddaz SuperDork
8/18/18 10:49 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Rustoleum paint.  Tape it off with masking tape and roll the paint on.

hhaase
hhaase HalfDork
8/18/18 10:49 a.m.

Pffft.    If you’re already spraying paint,   The rubber strips are just glued on IIRC.   One of mine is starting to peel and I’ll probably remove at some point for the same reason.  It interrupts artwork

ThurdFerguson
ThurdFerguson New Reader
8/18/18 12:04 p.m.

How bout some 70's Ford color?

https://goo.gl/images/YrQFDX

Related image

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
8/18/18 3:37 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Looks spectacular. 

2 3 4 5 6