Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
9/28/18 9:33 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and Byrneon27:

Ummmmm, have I mentioned you guys are amazing? I think the simplest solution is to basically cut the 90 degree elbow at the back of the y piece and do a small muffler and come straight out the back. Is that what you are making BYR? My goal is to have something with at least some muffling that we can just bolt on as we will have plenty of other work to do day of. BYR I'd be happy to either buy the exhaust from you and sell it back at the end of the challenge or just include it in the budget at a reasonable 'fair market value'. This is all assuming you want it back for your own MR2, but again, I assume you do.

Either way ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ if you would bring that y piece I would appreciate it. If BYR has something already done that would be perfect but I have a feeling he would want it back after the challenge, and I would certainly buy the 'unmodified' y piece from you.

Does that sound like a good plan to you guys?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
9/28/18 9:44 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Yep.  On another note, are we going to have enough hand tools or should I be planning to bring mine?

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
9/28/18 10:50 a.m.

Sure thing Ill bring it we'll figure it out. I dont know if my teammate/guy who belongs to the MR2 wants to finish the SC setup or jump right to turbo(s) we'll talk at the event. It's aluminum and it's loud fair waring uses the stock hanger square on the rear subframe. 

The mid pipe came with our car the rest of the tubing from my box of cutoffs billing it out by scrap weight the exhaust is worth about $1

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/2/18 5:39 a.m.

Bump for "should I bring hand tools/impact gun or will there be enough there already?"

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/2/18 7:54 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Bump for "should I bring hand tools/impact gun or will there be enough there already?"

I say bring em. Better to have too many then not enough. I will he bringing mine as well, but I don't want to hold up productivity if we only have 3 10mm sockets when we have 4 people trying to lose them.

I got a bunch of parts packed and ready, I'm hoping to do some organization today in terms of tools and tasks. More soon.

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/2/18 8:14 p.m.

Packed my tools up tonight.  Set all the big items like tent / table, jack, jack stands etc aside.  Now just waiting to load Tuesday night.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/2/18 9:53 p.m.

Parts stack ready to go!

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/2/18 9:55 p.m.

The packing list is started.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/2/18 10:31 p.m.

Added this to the first post. I will try to keep the first post updated for ease of finding these things. Thanks Chris for the suggestion BTW!

Work Items to-do (stolen almost word-for-word from page 3):

I think the way to go (assuming things don't just melt down into chaos) will be to have three main groups, we'll call them A and B and C. This is the general overview currently. I will bring some cardboard for each team's list, as well as some 'wishlists'.

1:

• A) Remove stock engine, transmission, axles, wiring, pedal assy, console, shifter.
  • B) Prep SC engine and trans, install clutch, mate the two together.
  • C) Go mount the tires on the wheels.

2:

• A) Install manual shifter and cables, console, pedal assy, install new clutch hard line.
  • B) Test fuel pump. Work out all wiring changes according to printed instructions Robbie brings.
  • C) Replace front brake disks and pads, front sway bar bushings. Inspect front suspension. Test fit front wheels/tires.

3:

• A) Install engine and transmission, connect axles, shifter cables, plumbing. 
  • B) Connect wiring, troubleshoot wiring, get engine to fire (fluids first!).
  • C) Replace rear brake disks and pads. Inspect rear suspension. Test fit rear wheels/tires.

4:

• A) Exhaust connected. Bleed brakes and clutch.
  • B) Graphics.
  • C) Registration packet, build book.

People can jump between the two groups at will but having the distinction between them will probably help a lot at the beginning.  We will have designated runners for parts/fluids/paint/food/drink as well as a person documenting, both would be separate from these groups.

We'll have a piece of cardboard with two wishlists for "stuff" and "people" that we can add to and keep on display for people to jump in.  So 6 hours in it might say:
"Stuff: CV grease, JB weld, gear oil"
"People: Wiring wizard, aluminum TIG expert (BYOW)"

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/2/18 11:01 p.m.

Current packing list and folks bringing stuff:

Svrex:

1. Car.
  2. Supercharged engine, e51 trans, all accessories, ecu, wiring, etc.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯:

1. transmission (c50), stub axles.
  2. shifter and shifter cables.
  3. clutch, flywheel, pressure plate, clutch fork, clutch master cylinder, and slave cylinder (plus all lines connected to slave).
  4. brake and clutch pedals, pedal assemblies.
  5. random cooling system hoses, couplers for IC, etc.
  6. cheapo coilover sleeves and unknown springs.
  7. exhaust y-pipe

Robbie:

1. Brake refresh kit (pads, rotors, soft lines all around).
  2. CV Axles.
  3. New throwout bearing.
  4. shift knob made from broken camshaft piece.
  5. poly front sway bar bushings.
  6. spare suspension parts such as ball joints, tie rods, etc.
  7. tune up parts such as spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, thermostat, oil filter, fuel filter, seals, belts, all fluids.
  8. 11-12 feet of nicopp line and fittings to make new clutch hardline.

Byrneon27:

1. "header-back" exhaust.
  2. wheel bearings.

Andy Neuman:

1. 4 tires.
  2. A few various wheel spacers.

Pimpm3:

1. Engine hoist.
  2. Large jack-stands.

A_Florida_Man:

1. Fuel pump that is being shipped to your house from Fitzauto.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
10/3/18 6:05 a.m.

Oh boy this is starting to get very close- I will be most useful in group A according to your list, but if we don't have many people comfortable with the finer points of engine and transmission assembly/wiring then group B is good too... I just know I'm much better at replacing a bunch of simple parts quickly than I am at working my way through a wiring diagram.  I also know "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" but it's fun to scheme cheeky

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
10/3/18 7:00 a.m.

I can help with group a or b.  I had a 1985 ita mr2 for years and pulled the engine several times.

It's coming up quickly...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/3/18 8:08 a.m.

I'd do best in B or C.

About the graphics, I've been aiming to do a mockup of the side stripe colors touching, but I've been thinking that might not be a good idea because it will be more difficult and time-consuming to actually paint. If we have gaps between the different colors, we can just separate the different colors with painter's tape and allow for a decent margin of error, and do all of the colors at the same time. If the colors are touching, we'll have to wait for some colors to dry and then mask over them. Considering that this is all happening in about 24hrs that seems like asking for trouble.

So I think the best thing to do is hastily sandpaper off the peeling clear coat and brush paint/rattle can the area where the side stripes will be to a decent gloss black as soon as possible (before the build starts), and then stick to one of the liveries where the colors don't touch. I like this one best:

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/3/18 8:21 a.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

That's very good point about colors touching if we go with paint. I am going to try to swing by a sign shop to see if they have any smallish pieces of vinyl however too.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
10/3/18 9:29 a.m.

Either way, it's important to get the area where the side stripes will be fixed up beforehand - whether it's because we need that area to look good or because we need a smooth surface to apply vinyl to.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
10/3/18 11:39 a.m.

Do we need a welder? I'm happy to play parking lot fab guy (once the E30 is done I doubt Ill have much to do) let me know what equipment we'll need and what power/space/hotel rules we have to contend with. 

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
10/3/18 1:15 p.m.

Just a comment, for what it's worth:

The chassis only has 9x,xxx miles on it, and the last time it drove (the only time I drove it), was a ~3 mile trip to my house. The car went straight and seemed to drive well, aside from the billowing clouds of coolant steam trailing behind me. 

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/3/18 3:24 p.m.
JamesMcD said:

Just a comment, for what it's worth:

The chassis only has 9x,xxx miles on it, and the last time it drove (the only time I drove it), was a ~3 mile trip to my house. The car went straight and seemed to drive well, aside from the billowing clouds of coolant steam trailing behind me. 

That is great news! I asked svrex to also give it an autox wheel bearing jounce test and to poke around underneath for anything suspension-wise that seemed worn out or toasted. He also confirmed that the car looks to be in mostly good shape.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/3/18 3:27 p.m.
Byrneon27 said:

Do we need a welder? I'm happy to play parking lot fab guy (once the E30 is done I doubt Ill have much to do) let me know what equipment we'll need and what power/space/hotel rules we have to contend with. 

I'm really hoping we don't end up needing a welder but you never know. When a welder was used in the past for PLBs there was also a large generator to run the welder. I am going to bring a couple long extension cords that maybe we can run to the hotel, but I'm not planning to bring a generator. If you've got the stuff and it's easy to bring it would probably be good to have but I know that is a lot of equipment to lug around.

Robbie
Robbie PowerDork
10/3/18 8:26 p.m.

Hit up two sign shops tonight close to my house.

One had some cheap vinylish stuff, red yellow and white $12 for 30x36 inches. The other had a remnant of white that is probably 42 inches by 24-30 inches that they just gave me.

They all told me this stuff won't go around corners well, but for $36 I'm willing to try!

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/4/18 9:05 a.m.

Here is what you need for making the side stripes.  

Called Teflon Knife-less tape.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH7PCIO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have ordered this for  you through Amazon and sent it directly to the hotel attn Guest -Robbie Cutcliff.  It will arrive Saturday but it will be there waiting for you for Weds/Thurs.  Yeah, my amazon account has the GRM hotel as a saved address.  I have sent things directly to the hotel every year. Ha. 

See these pics:  

Before: 

After:  

Spend all your time getting accurate with the "before" vinyl is applied.  Also have to be mindful of what line gets laid down first.  In this Nissan example place the horizontal line first and place the vertical lines on top of the horizontal.  The tape is red but in the tape is a very thin, almost knife like sharp piece of teflon wire.  Make notice how in the before picture the vertical tapes are generously oversized.  This is needed so you can have enough tape to get a grip (or make a handle) to pull with 

Lets say, starting from the rear of this Nissan, adhere an oversized piece of black vinyl.  Once that is adhered very well (with use of a squeegee or even just the edge of a credit card,  peel downward with the vertical tape and you will have a very clean cut line.  

Next move to the section of red.  Adhere and oversized piece of vinyl and then pull the tapes down to create that red box. 

Once all your colors have been placed and vertical tapes pulled to make the vertical cut then start to pull the horizontal tape and make your horizontal cut.   

There are a million videos on using this stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r8RcENU-iM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FknbgFrUALI

The real keys seem to be getting the vinyl down smoothly and worked right up to the teflon line before pulling the tape.  Then when pulling the teflon try to hold at a 45 degree angle and pull it off in one continuous motion.  This should not be hard since your pulls are generally small pieces.  Even when pulling horizontal, though it is one tap,e you only have to pull through one color at a time so it is really a series of small pulls.  

PS: the price of this tape does not have to go into your budget.  Like masking tape for a paint job, this tape does not go onto the race track, just the vinyl.  

It is with a heavy heart that I have to not be there this year.  It has nothing to do with the drags and all to do with family.  I have not found a good way to leave my working wife with 2 kids for 3-5 days.  On top of that, we will be leaving for a family wedding in Huntsville, AL on the following Thursday night for a long weekend.  It just wasn't in the cards this year.    I'm with y'all in spirit.  Heck, I used to own a MR2SC.  It will be a blast.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/4/18 10:12 a.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

crying you will be missed. Now I’m going to need to update the build process and make parts/food runs. 

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
10/4/18 10:15 a.m.
Andy Neuman said:

In reply to John Welsh :

crying you will be missed. Now I’m going to need to update the build process and make parts/food runs. 

Don’t forget 5 star pizza.  We got like 7 huge pizzas last year delivered in 20 minutes for $98ish and it was GOOD

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
10/4/18 3:40 p.m.

complete with stickers and shipping labels, will paint winkthem tomorrow 

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/4/18 3:44 p.m.

WE have 2 cars in Homosassa if needed  Dontmisshomosassasprings 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jc7NDC7DIDbB2O4mdD85ZimJ4YAsjtfN21nGFf4erGDecjDf5B2bDBWKZbiVvgcQ