David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/15/18 2:44 p.m.

An all-new Accord arrived for the 2018 model year and, of course, there’s a hybrid option. The 411 right from Honda’s media site: “The 2018 Accord Hybrid is powered by the third generation of Honda's innovative two-motor hybrid powertrain, which pairs a 2.0-liter DOHC i-VTEC® Atkinson-cycle inline-4 engine with 40-percent thermal efficiency to an electric propulsion motor that churns out 232 lb.-ft. of torque for a class-leading total system output of 212 horsepower. As before, the Accord two-motor system operates without the need for a conventional automatic transmission. “Helping to maximize energy generation are steering wheel-mounted Deceleration Selectors. Similar to transmission paddle shifters, the Accord Hybrid's Deceleration Selectors allow the driver to easily toggle between four levels of regenerative braking performance. The right selector increases regenerative braking and the left selector reduces regenerative braking. The system simultaneously helps reduce stress on the brakes while increasing battery charging via regeneration.” One more interesting tidbit gleaned from the press materials: The intelligent power unit (“IPU” in Honda-speak) now resides beneath the rear floor instead of the trunk. End result: No loss of carrying capacity compared to the gas-powered version as well as the addition of a 60/40-split rear seat. The price premium for all of that technological goodness? The Accord Hybrid starts at $25,100. The least expensive standard Accord carries an MSRP of $23,570. Our tester was the top-of-the-line Accord Touring Hybrid that goes for $34,710.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
11/15/18 3:39 p.m.

Is this one a hatchback, or does it just look like it ought to be one?

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/15/18 4:03 p.m.

New Accord styling is so good..  Although with those wheels it's hard to tell that the car is as good looking as it is. The Accord Hybrid system as far as I know is not much changed from the previous body style, but it was already great there too.  I'm armchair quarterbacking this as a great car. 

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
11/15/18 4:28 p.m.

My sister is on her 3rd Prius, I would so like to buy one of these Accord Hybrids or even a new Insight and show her that a hybrid doesn't have to look like a 4 wheeled pile of doggy doo.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
11/15/18 4:28 p.m.

My sister is on her 3rd Prius, I would so like to buy one of these Accord Hybrids or even a new Insight and show her that a hybrid doesn't have to look like a 4 wheeled pile of doggy doo.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
11/15/18 4:50 p.m.

Just make an Accord hybrid sportwagon already and make a hatchback actually practical to carry stuff....

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
11/15/18 4:55 p.m.

Remember when hybrids had to look weird? 

You mean two decades ago, when the Prius and Insight were the only hybrids? The hybrid versions of the Honda Civic and Accord,  Toyota Camry and Highlander, Lexus RX , Ford Escape and Fusion, Volvo XC90 - and indeed just about everything other than the Prius - have always looked just like the non-hybrid version.

Even the Prius (and the all-electric Nissan Leaf) look conventional now, not because their styling has changed but because the convention has changed.

... Or drive oddly?

The hybrid Accord drives like a normal Accord...

I find it strange that CVTs are so highly criticized for exactly the same characteristic (engine speed not rising in proportion with road speed) which is exhibited by series and power-split hybrids... but the hybrid is described as driving normally. I have no problem with the way these cars drive; I just don't get the inconsistency of enthusiasts and the automotive press.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
11/15/18 4:58 p.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

No, it's just a fastback sedan. It's the style of the day, complete with poor rear headroom, massive rear window, and lousy trunk access.

It's a Honda, so it also has the grotesque nose.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
11/15/18 5:00 p.m.

In reply to Carsandbikes :

Or you could by a Camry Hybrid. Anything other than a Prius looks just like the non-hybrid version - you don't have to switch to Honda if you don't want to.

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
11/16/18 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Brian_13 :

I looked at Camry Hybrids but didn't buy partly because I wasn't fast enough in getting to CarMax (I don't care to visit Toyota dealers) and according to many reviews of the Camry it has almost no steering feel/feedback.

And at this point I would rather have a RAV4 Hybrid than a Camry if I bought a Toyota. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/16/18 12:43 p.m.

I find it strange that CVTs are so highly criticized for exactly the same characteristic (engine speed not rising in proportion with road speed) which is exhibited by series and power-split hybrids... but the hybrid is described as driving normally. I have no problem with the way these cars drive; I just don't get the inconsistency of enthusiasts and the automotive press.

So the Accord Hybrid works more like the Chevy Volt where it has an electric motor that propels the wheels, and the ICE just powers a generator, except when you reach a high enough road speed that the engine can be coupled directly through to the differential by a clutch and power the wheels directly in that way. So you basically have no gear ratio between the engine and the road at all other than at high speed+low throttle. The rest of the time the ICE will spin to whatever rpm is necessary to keep the battery in an adequate state of charge without the level of direct relation to throttle position that an actual CVT has.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/16/18 12:46 p.m.

I want Touring to mean something other than it does. Like when it used to imply wagon. sad

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven New Reader
11/16/18 12:56 p.m.

Excuse me, but what does an Accord have to do with "hardcore motorsports"?  

This kind of review belongs in Motor Trend or something similar. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/16/18 7:40 p.m.

For me, it comes down to "Do i generally appreciate the opportunity to hear the opinions of the GRM writers on cars?" Yes. "Would I like them to occasionally give their opinion on a new car as well with no downside or additional cost to me?" I mean why the hell not. Twist my arm off why don't you.

secretariata
secretariata SuperDork
11/16/18 9:52 p.m.

In reply to BimmerMaven :

Well, when we aren't out prepping for our next shot at a ride in F1 or WRC, most of us drive somewhat "normal" cars on public roadways to deal with the vulgarities of living in the real world. That happens to be a reasonable justification for GRM to include write ups that belong in other types of automotive publications to me... :)

TennesseeZ4
TennesseeZ4
11/19/18 5:08 p.m.

Bought an Accord Hybrid Touring 2017 model: same drive system as the new body style.  We have always been German car folks, M-B, Audi, BMW, and we still have those in the 'fleet', but this Honda is a most competent vehicle that delivers a very unique powertrain and efficiency.  Only one other car on the road has the same powertrain, the Konensegg Regera:  check it out:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMb45PPrmg

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i45DKDhlz8NiLdUaSfADYCkB2YIvykqRd3iyVeTeOQ1ytRnxWoSfsZWchcIzhPtG