1 2
Dave M
Dave M New Reader
9/9/18 4:28 p.m.
turtl631 said:

I test drove a Golf R several times last year when contemplating my next daily driver. Backseat had to be kid friendly and ultimately I decided to spend more and picked up a used M3. I really enjoyed the car though, it was a nice place to be and seems like a great all-around vehicle. I feel like it's a little harder to justify the more hardcore options like the STI and the Focus RS at this point because they have fallen so far behind other cars. It was a different story in 2004 when the STI and the Evo were giant killers. the class just really hasn't Advanced that much in terms of speed, and the Golf R is such a nice place to be.  They're also pretty mod friendly, they can be made seriously quick with a tune and downpipe while remaining reliable.  That said the increased spending over a GTI is significant and it's a bit hard to justify.  I am loving this big color palette, wish more manufacturers would offer that.

Have to disagree about the class not advancing in terms of speed: Civic Type R is faaaaaaast. Of course, it's $50k after you pay the stupid Honda dealer tax, but the last one I saw at the track was hauling ass.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
9/9/18 5:39 p.m.

That's true, it's a step up. But also fwd.  

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/9/18 5:49 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:
Run_Away said:

$43k golf?!

Well, it's basically an Audi S3 with a Golf body. Which makes it better, IMO, since they don't offer the S3 in a hatch.

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
9/9/18 7:02 p.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

Besides the price, I would guess the stumbling price for most is the ugliness, not the FWD! 

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/10/18 8:59 a.m.

In reply to Dave M :

It's nowhere near as fugly as the Civic Type R!

ThatsNoUsername
ThatsNoUsername HalfDork
9/10/18 9:26 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to Dave M :

True, its horrible in real life, not much better in person.

Someone who just apparently got one tried to "race" my zx2 from a stop light recently. I wasnt gonna play so i just took off at a normal pace, he blew the shift from 1st to 2nd so badly that i "won". The horrified look from him as i passed was kinda funny

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
9/10/18 8:01 p.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to Dave M :

I think Dave was referring to the Civic.  The golf r is plain but I don't think any reasonable person would call it ugly.  I think the golf package is very clean-looking, but it definitely does not look nearly as aggressive and track ready as the Focus RS, STI, and Civic Type R.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/11/18 8:53 a.m.

In reply to turtl631 :

No it doesn't but I think that's the point.  It's reasonable to lump all those cars together in a comparison as "hot hatches" but they're not the same.  I'd put the Focus RS, STi and Type R together but the Golf R is definitely built more as a GT type of hatchback vs a "Rally" bred one.

It's a far more livable, nice place to be for a DD...

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
9/11/18 12:24 p.m.

Where do you see all the colors? I was unable to find but a few on the VW site

Desert 2009
Desert 2009 New Reader
9/29/18 11:17 a.m.

Unfortunately the local VW dealer here believes that the R is sprinkled with magic VW dust and tries to gouge another 5k on the MSRP. 

I mentioned that I could drive down the street and buy an S3 under invoice, they seemed unimpressed. 

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
10/1/18 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Jaynen :

They're on the Canadian site.  I went to my local VW dealer Saturday to pick up some exhaust studs for my 911 Turbo (ha!) and they had the color pallette book for the 2019's.  Full sheet color swatches, which was very useful.  Several of the colors that I liked on the Canadian VW website looked nothing like what I expected in person.  The Ice Blue looked great on the web and really unremarkable in person.  I liked the Prussion Blue Metallic alot, the oranges looked pretty good and the Viper Green is wild....

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zM7Fwe397dx38cqEBGory4O3YLnC202gdLoAeUyw5e90G8UOIqtsMt6JzPdGisg3