1 2 3
Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/20/18 9:41 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Have they lowered the entry bar on the track warranty coverage with the advent of the 1LE packages on the V6 and I4T?  As far as I knew, it was only applicable to the 'SS and above'.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/20/18 9:44 a.m.
z31maniac said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to z31maniac :

So I guess a cage would void that, as would removing airbags.  Stuff needed for serious racing business.

But time trials and stuff are fair game.

You'd have to ask. I don't know why a 4pt bar/harness/seats would, but you never know. And I'd likely want that stuff given how fast and capable the car is.

It may depend on the dealer how easy the process is as well. 

If I could get corporate Chevrolet to tell me that it's cool to do a weld in back half cage, leave the rest stock, and go do One Lap with the same sort of blessing they gave me for the Cadillac during the event in 2015 I'd be sorely tempted to take the R63 money right to a Chevy dealer. When are these going to be on the streets? Before May? Who do I call at Chevrolet? 

The reality of course is that my driving ability can't properly match the cars ability and they should really call someone like Andy Pilgrim who did it last year. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/20/18 11:15 a.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

Have they lowered the entry bar on the track warranty coverage with the advent of the 1LE packages on the V6 and I4T?  As far as I knew, it was only applicable to the 'SS and above'.

The V6 1LE was always covered. I believe I read recently that the I4 1LE was also covered, but I can't swear it on a stack of bibles.

Which Cadillac was deemed safe with a back cage at one lap? If it was an alpha platform car I would suspect you would be fine in a Camaro as well.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
9/20/18 11:23 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

That's good to know...My question then would be just how 'stock' (per their requirements) must it remain to qualify?  Are brake pads, tires, and/or wheels included in that limitation? If not, what else might they allow to be replaced with more track-worthy components and still not void it?

mazdeuce - Seth
9/20/18 11:34 a.m.

You probaby need to talk to an individual dealer who deals with this sort of thing and move up to a corporate person to get the proper answer if need be. Relying on the internet for warranty information is sketchy at best. 

But......to add a data point. I ran different wheels/tires on the V and nobody had a problem with it. To add another data point, I was working with Cadillac at the corporate level by that point and the dealer was just a pass through and they weren't 100% on board with corporate at all times. It worked well in the end, and corporate was amazing (which is the complete flip of my Mercedes experience) but I'm not sure that means that every person in every GM car with that same sort of warranty will get the same sort of service. 

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/20/18 12:01 p.m.

Regarding the warranty, the public statements I've read have been from the chief engineer. You made me use google. :)  From C&D's review: ...may also be enticed by General Motors’ performance warranty, which is surprisingly benevolent and applies to the Turbo 1LE as well as the hotter performance offerings. If your unmodified car breaks during a track day, your Chevrolet dealer will cover the afflicted parts. Of course, the limitations of the original warranty still apply, and as always, if you crash it, you bought it.

Interesting aside, I see a turbo Camaro again won the pro solo finale and season in DS.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/20/18 12:15 p.m.

On a somewhat related note...

My dad just turned 75 today, and has decided that his 2018 2.0t Camaro doesn’t get driven enough to justify making payments on it.  Just a hair over 3,000 miles on it (From when I went to the Cadillac V-lab at CotA last month), and still smells new.  Pretty blue metallic color.  It’s an auto, so no LSD, but it will get over 40mpg on the highway under the right conditions.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
9/20/18 12:23 p.m.
MrChaos said:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I'll say the the whole "warranty at the track" thing GM does is very cool. The service I had through Cadillac with the V wagon when I was tracking it was exceptional and being able to get that with a $30k Camaro would be excellent. 

Could you elaborate?  They warranty vehicles used for racing?

Now you have me thinking about a rally Camaro...

Likely would be a decent SR rallycross car. You can fit 16s and the lsd is standard in the base 2.0

What's stock size?

Bear in mind that you are now allowed to change diameter by one inch, but width and offset must remain as produced.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/20/18 1:24 p.m.

Stock sizes for the I4/V6 1LS/1LT are 18" base, but more commonly 20".

C&D 2018 lightning lap results came out today. The I4 1LE is was 1.6 seconds behind the V6 1LE.

CTR was .1 seconds faster than the V6 1LE.

The Mustang GT PP2 was 1 second faster than a SS 1LE. I'm surprised at that. Previous tests and even comments from Ford had it slower. Must be a very favorable track for it.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/20/18 1:28 p.m.
Snrub said:

I don't mind the I4 engine in the Camaro. It pulls nicely and the power feels pretty linear, but there's nothing above 6k.

I agree with this.  The four feels pretty stout just off idle, but falls on it's face at higher RPMs.  It also doesn't make enticing noises the way the V8 cars do.  It may be classed favorably for autocross, but it's not for me.   

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/20/18 1:44 p.m.
Snrub said:

C&D 2018 lightning lap results came out today. The I4 1LE is was 1.6 seconds behind the V6 1LE.

The Mustang GT PP2 was 1 second faster than a SS 1LE. I'm surprised at that. Previous tests and even comments from Ford had it slower. Must be a very favorable track for it.

Pilot Sport Cup tires are the big difference. 

But no coolers on the transmission or diff.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
9/20/18 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Without the SS 1LE being there to run at the same time, I wouldn’t put too much into that time difference.  Time differences at the same track from one weekend to another can sometimes be 2 or 3 seconds different.

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
9/20/18 1:45 p.m.
Snrub said:

I"m not surprised the 1LE 4cyl is slower than the 6cyl and the CTR, both make more power. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
9/20/18 1:49 p.m.
Snrub said:

Regarding the warranty, the public statements I've read have been from the chief engineer. You made me use google. :)  From C&D's review: ...may also be enticed by General Motors’ performance warranty, which is surprisingly benevolent and applies to the Turbo 1LE as well as the hotter performance offerings. If your unmodified car breaks during a track day, your Chevrolet dealer will cover the afflicted parts. Of course, the limitations of the original warranty still apply, and as always, if you crash it, you bought it.

Interesting aside, I see a turbo Camaro again won the pro solo finale and season in DS.

Yes, Scroggs is very fast in it. it's a manual rental car with wheels and tires on it. He was faster than my buddy in the CTR, in the dry on Day 2 of solo Nats as well. The deluge of rain combined with only stones for the Camaro and the CTR bringing Conti pushed the scales too far the other way. Javi also drove the wheels off his car in the rain. 

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
9/20/18 6:19 p.m.

I am almost considering a base 2.0 camaro to replace my crosstrek since they can be had with low miles for sub 20k

Dave M
Dave M New Reader
9/21/18 7:11 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:

V8 or nothing.....  If you want a 4 cylinder light is right.  Light is right should be the next free t shirt by the way.  It applies to every facet of life.  Racing cars, lighter is better....  backpacking, lighter is better.....  flying, lighter is better......  significant others......  nevermind.

I think the argument is, for the price this is the fastest new car you can put around a track, at least for auto X, weight be damned. Cheaper than a Miata, faster than a Toyobaru or GTI or Focus, great chassis, fat tires, better than a Boostang, etc.

To which I would say, if you have this kind of money to spend on a car you want to daily and track, maybe look at used?

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
9/21/18 8:02 a.m.

I'm a big fan of lightweight too, but the weight isn't that bad. FoST - ~3200 lbs, FoRS ~3400lbs, CTR ~3100, STi ~3400, 370Z ~3300, BMW M240 ~3500. It's competitive. Yes a 86/FRS/BRZ is lighter, but the Camaro feels legitimately nimble when pushed. I can honestly say I didn't enjoy driving a FRS more. ND is another story.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
9/21/18 8:18 a.m.

In reply to Snrub :

Also the 2.0t is a much better engine than the fa20 in the twins.

scardeal
scardeal SuperDork
9/21/18 8:35 a.m.

I just got an ATS with the 2.0, and the upgrade options on that engine are enticing...  Supposedly you can match or exceed the V6's power with a downpipe and a tune.

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
11/28/18 11:16 p.m.

The car got officially classed in DS today with it's base model 2.0 brother.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
11/29/18 5:57 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I’m showing my age, but I remember when the Neon was the top DS car. My how times have changed!

mazdeuce - Seth
11/29/18 6:42 a.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

New cars are so fast, but even with that, there's basically no place to play with a slow car unless it's a Miata. HS cars on 200TW tires are monsters compared to what I started driving. 

I am looking forward to seeing how the new Camaro does. It costs about 8 times what the Traccord did, so if I somehow end up with 8 times more money than I have now, I'm getting one. 

spacecadet
spacecadet Reader
11/29/18 10:44 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

In reply to Pete Gossett :

New cars are so fast, but even with that, there's basically no place to play with a slow car unless it's a Miata. HS cars on 200TW tires are monsters compared to what I started driving. 

I am looking forward to seeing how the new Camaro does. It costs about 8 times what the Traccord did, so if I somehow end up with 8 times more money than I have now, I'm getting one. 

Mark Scroggs feels confident the Base model is still faster or as fast, the 1LE only gets more rear tire and it's heavier. But it will definitely be competitive and that's a win. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qpg4eEoQ95h3wOozOtEMaLarVTmwhC96ftqLpU1LnyJHUmUHAu7fbdjgrMC9TqrR