1 2 3 4 5
logdog
logdog UltraDork
11/29/18 6:17 a.m.

Its gonna sell as fast as they can build them.  Plus, with 84 month loans becoming common, it doesnt matter what they cost.

With all the complaints I see on 4x4 sites I see about departure angle, I wonder why nobody seems to remember that the CJ8 was nicknamed the "tail dragger".

I wouldnt be surprised if they used the Scrambler name on a trim package at some point.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
11/29/18 6:21 a.m.

Regular cab trucks are going to be like non-sports car coupes, pretty much non existent since nobody* wants them.

*nobody defined as people that buy new, not people who want 500 dollar used trucks.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
11/29/18 6:23 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid :

laugh It's intentionally exaggerated in the name of humor.  The "hardcore" off road folks bitch about how much the bed over hangs the rear axle, so the photo chopper pushed the axle all the way back to give "internet designed" 2 door a ~90° departure angle. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
11/29/18 7:18 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 said:

In reply to stanger_missle :

It's longer than the Wrangler, but in its market it's average.

Pink Taco!

Seriously though, the fact that this is the same size as a Taco or Colorado but will out-tow them (save for the unicorn diesel Colorado) is great. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
11/29/18 7:19 a.m.
logdog said:

Regular cab trucks are going to be like non-sports car coupes, pretty much non existent since nobody* wants them.

*nobody defined as people that buy new, not people who want 500 dollar used trucks.

Except fleets/work trucks, which buy a s-ton of trucks!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb SuperDork
11/29/18 7:30 a.m.
irish44j said:
Keith Tanner said:

"Engine pulls stronger". Man, that 4Runner must have been a weak little thing. Must have been the 3.0. My 90 XJ is no rocket ship, it can get outdragged by eveything and it makes 18 mpg.

I you have a '90 XJ, you probably have the dreadful Renix engine management. Mine always started and ran, but it had all kinds of wired ghosts in it.....random ultra-high idle, random ultra-low idle. I spent months chasing symptoms and eventually gave up. The HO 4.0 in later XJs was a pretty substantial improvement and most certainlhy pulled stronger than the anemic 4-banger in the 4Runner........ 

I had a 90 yj with the 258 and the awful renix setup when i bought it. If anyone here is still running that let me give you my recipe

Ebay hei distributor 

Reman carb from a 78 (i think) cj

Cat delete

Hi flow oval muffler

It felt like i doubled the horsepower, it ran smoother, the whole job can be done in a day, and was around $400 dollars using all new parts (the carb was a napa reman not technically new) and was reliable as an anvil.

Back to the topic at hand. I understand the want for a regular cab, but if they built it the crew cab would outsell it by huge margins, just like with every other truck. For most people buying a new truck is easier to justify if they can haul the whole family. 

Hats off to chrysler for still being the company that does cool stuff.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
11/29/18 7:39 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
stanger_missle said:

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

Starting in 2012, Jeep put the 3.6L in the Wrangler.

I only have 42k miles on my '12 Wrangler, but I did have the cylinder head recall done. It was a manufacturing flaw in some of the early 3.6Ls but FCA replaced the head with an updated part.

Outside of that, my 3.6L has been flawless.

Cotton has like 144k miles on his Wrangler with a 3.6L.

Thank you 

if one has 144k reliable miles on the 3.6L , I will be good 

Yes,  currently at 144k or maybe 145k by now.  We had the cylinder head issued remedied under the extended warranty FCA applies to it.  Outside of that zero issues other than oil and brake pads.

logdog
logdog UltraDork
11/29/18 7:50 a.m.
Dave M said:
logdog said:

Thats true for now, but the number of extended/crew cab buying is growing in that segment while regular cab purchases shrink.  Many (not all) of the businesses that used to use the traditional reg cab truck have moved to the small commercial vans like the Transit Connect.  There will likely always be some available, but I could see them only being available as a cab chassis in a few years. So many fleets use upfitter beds anyway.  I don't have access to the same types of sales data I used to, but that is what it was looking like to me a few years ago.

But back on topic, Ive had a couple non-car people ask me if I have seen this new truck so its generating excitment for sure!

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
11/29/18 7:59 a.m.
JeffHarbert said:

I dig it. If I ever buy a truck I'm going to steel that cargo-basket-over-the-bed idea.

The tonneau cover on my truck leaves the stake holes open for just this  reason. I've only used it like that once, but it worked perfectly. Kept things in the bed dry and kept other cargo below the roofline. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
11/29/18 8:02 a.m.

While I'm disappointed that it's not available in an extended cab with a 6.5ft bed, I love this thing. It looks great and should be more than useable as a truck. The tow rating is impressive!

My biggest problem with it is the price. While it hasn't been announced, it's sure to be close to $50k or more for the better versions. The Unlimited starts in the mid-high $30k range, and this is a heavily modded version of that. There's no way this starts at under $40k. And since Wrangler-based things don't depreciate for some reason, it's probably priced out of reach for a lot of people who would actually want it. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
11/29/18 8:11 a.m.

I dig it. No need for anything like that, but I like it nonetheless.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
11/29/18 8:19 a.m.
Dave M said:

I don't see many mid-sized fleet trucks though.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
11/29/18 8:31 a.m.

I'm interested in the diesel version but isn't that the same motor in the RAM 1500 that's a total POS?  Also not sure I can step down in interior quality compared to the German cars and Lexus that I'm used to.  That's if it'll fit in my garage, which is a big if...

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
11/29/18 9:46 a.m.

I believe it's a new 'generation' of the previous diesel...Which means they may or may not have fixed all of the previous shortcomings, and may or may not have introduced entirely new ones.

It's probable that the diesel will up the tow rating a little further as well. However, reading between the lines on a few things I've seen, it also seems that the only 7650 pound tow rated trim might the "Sport S", and the rest may have "just" a 6000 pound tow rating...Which I believe would still be "best in class" against the likes of the ZR2. I haven't seen any explicit confirmation either way on that though.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/29/18 9:52 a.m.

Why bother with a folding windshield if there's all that other structure that's the same height?  

They know their market; the kind of people that like to see hinges at the base of a windshield, but won't use the function, and they can still get their kids in the back to go shopping in the thing.  Mall crawlers.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/29/18 9:56 a.m.

I wonder how many LED light bars that thing can haul?

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/29/18 11:15 a.m.
gearheadmb said:

I had a 90 yj with the 258 and the awful renix setup when i bought it. If anyone here is still running that let me give you my recipe

Your YJ didn't have the Renix setup. The Renix was only used on the XJ and MJ 4.0s from '87 to '90.

The 258 never had fuel injection, and the YJ only had the "H.O." 4.0 with Chrysler FI starting in '91 as a 6 cylinder option.   They had a carburated 258 as the 6 cylinder up until then.

As for the bashing of the Renix in general, it really isn't a bad system, and was leaps and bounds ahead of the carbed 258s, but certainly didn't make the power that the H.O. did.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/29/18 11:29 a.m.

I was thinking about bed caps on these pickups.  I then realized it would seem not too hard for the aftermarket to come up with a cap that integrates a roof that goes from windshield to back making it all one giant enclosed space.    You might just call that a SUV but it will have huge versatility (removability) and length like a suburban.  

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/29/18 11:35 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Why bother with a folding windshield if there's all that other structure that's the same height?  

They know their market; the kind of people that like to see hinges at the base of a windshield, but won't use the function, and they can still get their kids in the back to go shopping in the thing.  Mall crawlers.

Sounds like you haven't done much offroading.

I would unbolt my windsheild on my TJ on many trails.   

My cage was just as tall, but I made my own front section with downbars which allowed would slide right past trees that would destroy the $350 windshield and frame on the red Jeep above mine that tried following me on this trail.

And even without the trees and rock walls to destroy a windshield frame on the trails I frequented, with the top down on a Jeep, the flat windshield will cause dust to swirl directly behind it, much like the back of  van or station wagon, which not only means you are breathing more of it in, but the back of the windshield actually gets twice as dirty as the front.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
11/29/18 11:42 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

"Engine pulls stronger". Man, that 4Runner must have been a weak little thing. Must have been the 3.0. My 90 XJ is no rocket ship, it can get outdragged by eveything and it makes 18 mpg.

It's not like any other crew cab truck. Stick axles, double manual, roof comes off, freaking windshield still folds. It's a weird long Jeep, but it's a lot more jeep than regular truck. 

Congratulations Jeep on inventing the Land Rover Defender 130 wink

I would ike to congratulate LR for making a removable top Travellette.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
11/29/18 11:47 a.m.

It's rare to see a Rubicon JL on the lots around here for less than $48-$50k anyway. Given that all the suspension, chassis, etc is unique and some bastard Wrangler/RAM1500 cross breed, you know it's going to be high. I like the way it looks with the roof off for sure. Maybe it will drive better than the '18 JL I test drove because there was no way I'd give them the $48k they wanted when my ZJ drives better.

Long roof tops are already in development I've heard. 

Bottom line, I can get a new FX4 Ranger that tows about the same, gets better mileage, probably rides/drives better, and will go 99% of the same places for $12-$15k less. That's gonna take a LOT to make up for.

RealMiniNoMore
RealMiniNoMore PowerDork
11/29/18 12:07 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Other than the pictures above is there any video?  Because, I like movies about Gladiators 

Have you ever been inside a Turkish prison? 

Have you ever seen a grown man naked? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/29/18 12:32 p.m.
Cooter said:
Keith Tanner said:

It's not like any other crew cab truck. Stick axles, double manual, roof comes off, freaking windshield still folds. It's a weird long Jeep, but it's a lot more jeep than regular truck. 

Congratulations Jeep on inventing the Land Rover Defender 130 wink

I would ike to congratulate LR for making a removable top Travellette.

I would like to congratulate IH for duplicating the Series 2 double cab pickup wink

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/29/18 12:56 p.m.

I'd like to thank some folks here for finding some really ugly trucks.

Cooter, you're right, I don't do serious off-roading, unless I'm back on the farm using a tractor to get somewhere.  No rollbar on those either! 

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
11/29/18 2:05 p.m.

I follow TFL Truck on YouTube, they got some decent info from the LA Auto Show. 

https://youtu.be/izYQ6ztcflQ

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ALbaIPeVLkeVhWSkqbdc9S6ECSBnO1CMztAsRxNkr6J9fhtuxx0Ata7uSZ13MFYg