1 2 3
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/19/19 12:43 p.m.

First, let's get the known stats out of the way:

Price: The starting price for the entry-level 2020 Corvette Stingray: "Under $60,000." (Potentially this means the Z51 package, Mark Reuss, GM President was slightly ambiguous here.) 

Engine: LT2 6.2-Liter OHV V8 mounted ami…

Read the rest of the story

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/19/19 1:11 p.m.

So the real question:

Will we see a 2020 Corvette Stingray sell for sticker (under $60,000) in the next year?

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver Reader
7/19/19 1:24 p.m.

I'd go with a hard "Nahh!".  Any Chevy dealer with a soul might "sticker" one, but the rest will surcharge it so badly you'd think the price should be in Euros.

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
7/19/19 1:26 p.m.

The interior layout is worse than the c7.  With the fact that new cars are manufactured with such modularity, someone out there (maybe even GM), should/could make different interior "packages" for these.  Spend $5k-10k more and get the '53 look or '67.  Spend a little less and get a track-ready package with flat carbon panels and comfort delete.

Just anything besides what was in the reveal car, please.

Scooter70
Scooter70 New Reader
7/19/19 1:29 p.m.

In reply to oldrotarydriver :

I think they have the capacity to build them in such quantity that anyone who wants one and is willing to do any research beyond walking into the dealership in their little town with a checkbook in their pocket the week that they first hit dealer lots (there are plenty of dealerships around the country who do long-distance sales) that getting one without dealer markup should be relatively easy.

te72
te72 Reader
7/19/19 1:29 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

So the real question:

Will we see a 2020 Corvette Stingray sell for sticker (under $60,000) in the next year?

Doubt it. Pretty much any noteworthy enthusiast car tends to have significant dealer markup (and even more so in the secondary market in many cases) for a while. No worries though, if there's one thing I have, it's patience...

So, I'm gonna be the first to say it, the new Supra is screwed. I'm as big a Supra fan (and overall Toyota guy in general) but at this point, if you buy a Supra over the C8, well... that's on you. Personal taste aside, if you're after performance as a priority, you'd have to be downright foolish.

Now, that said? What a time to be an enthusiast. Mustangs are great, Corvettes are finally mid-engined, the Supra is as back as we're gonna get, Miatas are still awesome, Dodge sells any number of things with irresponsible power levels... new golden age? I think so.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/19/19 1:34 p.m.

Current C7 owners that sat in the cars last evening report there is truly more interior room.

You forgot to mention the front end auto raise feature.

More details available here;

https://visualizer-east.chevrolet.com/ui?carline=corvette&modelyear=2020&brand=chevrolet&language=en&country=US&channel=b2c

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
7/19/19 1:36 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

If you like the current Camaro, better buy one before they are discontinued again.  

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
7/19/19 1:41 p.m.

McLaren or Italian influence?

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/19/19 1:43 p.m.

In reply to 914Driver :

Yes.

I think it's great. 

Will there be a mid-engined Camaro come back after the current one is discontinued?

Crxpilot
Crxpilot Reader
7/19/19 1:45 p.m.

It's time for a $30k Fiero now.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/19 1:47 p.m.

Here's something that JG and I discussed before the release: Will the new car look like a Corvette? I think the answer is yes. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/19/19 1:49 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Will there be a mid-engined Camaro come back after the current one is discontinued?

Nope.  Camaro needs a back seat.  Hard to put two kids on each side of an LT2.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/19/19 1:50 p.m.

You could buy a C7 for sticker in the first year. Hell, you could order one for sticker. Not at my local dealer, but there are some high volume Corvette dealers that make this all reasonable. 

My theory is that this car will appeal less to the "I bought C4, C5, C6, and C7 from the same dealer" Corvette enthusiast leaving some of the initial production for car enthusiasts instead of Corvette enthusiasts. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader

I'm pretty excited to read about test drives, once those start.  GM has mostly gotten the Corvette right for the last 20 years, from a performance level. 

Jordan Rimpela

Unpopular opinion: I kind of like the interior. A lot. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/19/19 1:52 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

You could buy a C7 for sticker in the first year. Hell, you could order one for sticker. Not at my local dealer, but there are some high volume Corvette dealers that make this all reasonable. 

My theory is that this car will appeal less to the "I bought C4, C5, C6, and C7 from the same dealer" Corvette enthusiast leaving some of the initial production for car enthusiasts instead of Corvette enthusiasts. 

...and that's a good thing.  I felt the C7 did the same thing moving the needle in this direction.  The C7 elicited massive groans from the Corvette purists.  It didn't even have round taillights!  

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/19/19 1:58 p.m.

I'm very curious to see how lap times compare to the C7 Stingray.  I foresee that the new Z51 will mop the floor with much more expensive cars in track tests.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/19/19 2:05 p.m.

Interior is a little odd looking, but I can confirm there’s way more space and headroom for the driver than any corvette in recent memory. Passenger... not so much. 

Steering wheel is better in reality than in pictures. Spikes are low, but you can grip it at 9/3 and get full wrap around wheel. So they moved the spokes to where they weren’t ideal for thumb placement, but at least they moved them so far that they weren’t in the way. 

stanger_missle
stanger_missle SuperDork
7/19/19 2:14 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

• You can say that changing the traditional Corvette layout to mid-engine is a flaw, but the reality is that this is what Zora Arkus-Duntov always wanted. He was pushing for a mid-engined Vette from the 1950s. So, you can say it’s a big change, but I don’t really think you can say, “It’s not what a Corvette should be,” when it’s literally what the guy who invented the Corvette always wanted.

This is a great counter argument to the "traditionalists".

I wish Zora Arkus-Duntov was around today to see his vision come to life sad.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/19/19 2:17 p.m.

I expected it to look like the camo'd mules, and while they definitely carry the same features, it somehow looks better than what my mind was imagining under the camo. Need to see one in person to really get a good feel though.

I was thinking $65-70k starting price, so to be under $60k is just a massive bargain for something with these kinds of chops.

Power is a little higher than I thought it would be too. I was figuring 475ish HP instead of nearly 500.

So in all, it's impressed me. I'm sure everyone at GM will sleep a little better tonight knowing that a random guy on the internet approves.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
7/19/19 2:21 p.m.

I can't believe that the 1982 Corvette buyer was the same as the 1984 Corvette buyer.  

They have been trough a radical departure before...

Jordan Rimpela
7/19/19 2:22 p.m.
stanger_missle said:
JG Pasterjak said:

• You can say that changing the traditional Corvette layout to mid-engine is a flaw, but the reality is that this is what Zora Arkus-Duntov always wanted. He was pushing for a mid-engined Vette from the 1950s. So, you can say it’s a big change, but I don’t really think you can say, “It’s not what a Corvette should be,” when it’s literally what the guy who invented the Corvette always wanted.

This is a great counter argument to the "traditionalists".

I wish Zora Arkus-Duntov was around today to see his vision come to life sad.

I was so very happy to see them not only display CERV-I/II/III but to also discuss them at length. And given how many times Mark Reuss mentioned that CERV-II/III were AWD, I'm anticipating an AWD Z06 announcement. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/19 2:23 p.m.
xflowgolf said:
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to 914Driver :

Nope.  Camaro needs a back seat.  Hard to put two kids on each side of an LT2.  

Haven't you ever had a back seat "hump?" We had one in our '78 Camaro. It was a natural barrier between my brother and I. It was like our own little DMZ. smiley

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
7/19/19 2:24 p.m.

I've wasted a good chunk of today reading/watching everything I can find about the C8. Never thought I would seriously crave corvette ownership even though I really enjoyed the C7 test drive I took last year, but I'm fully on board now. Not even mad about it being auto-only... the C7 really didn't work for me as a manual (on the street anyways). Seemed like the only real shifting was 1-2, and even then you were breaking laws. The ND was a far more rewarding manual experience.

Can't wait for the magazines to get their hands on these.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JtFiE48KoKDLO99CiE6wM73hSsw32pGLkjmrEWutKY0OojalsjbosKRlXewRPAAH