irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
3/28/18 6:44 p.m.

^^ good point. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
3/28/18 6:51 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

Right, it's the image that sells them, but take away their capability and you take away a huge part of that image. If people stop legitimately offloading them then they just become another CUV and other manufacturers haven't been able to create that image through their marketing alone. It takes a base of enthusiasts and that takes real chops. People are buying dreams when they buy a Wrangler.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/28/18 6:52 p.m.

I may know a thing or two about Broncos

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/28/18 6:54 p.m.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
3/28/18 7:22 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

A Bronco must have 2 doors (only) a transfer case with 2 high, 4 high and 4 low and a REMOVEABLE TOP. 

QFT

The problem is 2 doors is a sales killer.  I have high hopes, but low expectations.

BTW, a lot of early Broncos came with 6 cylinders.  We had a '66 that had the 170ci 6.  It was a slug, but it would go anywhere.  I'm sorry I sold it, but our '92 is still a better vehicle for anything but tight trails...

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
3/28/18 7:33 p.m.

My perfect bronco is a 78-79 with a 300 i6 and a c6.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/28/18 7:35 p.m.

In reply to Rodan :

Sweet rig!  What is QFT?   And if I had a dollar for every time someone in a Jeep told me I wouldn't fit.......

The trick is to go one mirror at a time

Rufledt
Rufledt UberDork
3/28/18 8:02 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to edizzle89 :

The Bronco people probably think they want back is this one.

I'm not a "Bronco person" but i like that one in that there picture.

MrChaos
MrChaos Dork
3/28/18 8:12 p.m.

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
3/28/18 8:16 p.m.

I hope there is a special edition of the new bronco

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/28/18 8:49 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

Oooh, I love that one. Not trying to one-up but I bought a ‘95 Environmental Police Bronco for $800 not too long ago. Rubber floors, vinyl buckets and bench, rubber rear cargo floor, lever on the transfer-case and a spotlight on the windshield! Plus it was forest green with a 3” gold stripe. 351 and not the 302 to boot. Not quite sure why I sold that one...frown

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
3/28/18 8:50 p.m.
Justjim75 said:

In reply to Rodan :

Sweet rig!  What is QFT?   And if I had a dollar for every time someone in a Jeep told me I wouldn't fit.......

The trick is to go one mirror at a time

QFT- Quoted For Truth

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/28/18 9:01 p.m.

In reply to ebonyandivory :

Mine was a Game Warden truck.  P.O. painted it red.  Same deal, only option is A.C., manual everything, 5.8, auto etc but I pulled out the plastic flooring and bedlinered everything so the top sits in the yard 3 months of the year

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/28/18 9:58 p.m.

And that's when Ford debuts an Expedition with an F150 nose and calls it the Centurion.

collinskl1
collinskl1 Reader
3/29/18 6:36 a.m.

Prices on those are getting pretty high for a vehicle that wasn't actually produced by Ford.

My first truck was a '95 Bronco. Pretty basic stuff - Black with a gray stripe on the belt between the body lines. 302, auto, floor shift 4x4 and automatic hubs, cloth interior with power windows and locks. I wish I still had it.

Justjim75
Justjim75 Reader
3/29/18 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Nope, not at all

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
3/29/18 8:31 a.m.
Daylan C said:

And that's when Ford debuts an Expedition with an F150 nose and calls it the Centurion.

if you look hard enough you can find these with the 7.3 powerstroke in them

Daylan C
Daylan C SuperDork
3/29/18 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

It would be the ultimate escape from the years of hype they built up with almost no effort. They sell it for 2 years get sued for using a name they don't own and have the change the name. Suddenly the excursion is back. Everybody wins.

RevRico
RevRico UltraDork
3/29/18 8:35 a.m.

Wasn't the Centurion an OBS F350 long bed crew cab? Or was that just the "Centurion edition"?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/29/18 9:01 a.m.

I wonder how many LED light bars you can hang on the front of the new Bronco?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/29/18 10:17 a.m.

The Centurions were the conversion market's answer to the Suburban before Ford started building the Excursion. They were made by welding a Bronco bed/cap to a box-body, 4 door F250-350 4x4. They're semi-rare and usually get good money even though most are rusty as hell now. They were big in the oilfields back in the day.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/29/18 10:21 a.m.

Wrangler is the only Jeep with a solid front axle.    It wouldn't be a wangler without one.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/29/18 11:39 a.m.
iceracer said:

Wrangler is the only Jeep with a solid front axle.    It wouldn't be a wangler without one.

The same has been said about square headlights, coil springs, and 4 doors. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
3/29/18 12:49 p.m.

Yeah, I tend to focus on the capabilities and spirit of a vehicle, not the hardware it uses to achieve it. But I'm not a die-hard fan of a particular make or model, and some people are.  If it can take me anywhere I want to go off road, doesn't break when I thrash it, and is cheap to maintain I don't care if it drives the front axle with trained gerbils floating on magic donuts.

As for the removable roof thing.... I admit it would be cool. That's the one trick that the Wrangler does that no other vehicle can. The first year Broncos did it well, and the later ones less so from most owners I've talked to, but then I've never owned one so I don't know for sure.  As for general public desire...probably 2/3 of Wranglers I see here are hard tops all buttoned up. 1/6 are soft tops with the top up, and 1/6 are running topless. From that i have to estimate 2/3 of the market doesn't care if the top comes off or not, 1/3 like the idea but never use it, and 1/3 would be unhappy with a fixed roof.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
3/29/18 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Brian :

True!   Do you think---------?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rsIzlxWmIsK4lK6fmo5smd3uOjrdiTy2seuDTxOkVZNPh992UYDMwerCWNSlEHry