1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
4/28/22 12:15 p.m.
feature_image

We’ve met the Acura Integra, but we finally know how much it’ll cost: $30,800 in its most basic form.

Eager for the six-speed? You’ll have to shell out a little more as the manual is only available on the Integra A-Spec with Technology Package. MSRP starts at $35,800.

Acu…

Read the rest of the story

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture UltimaDork
4/28/22 12:29 p.m.

I think the base price is where it needs to be but it's a shame they're gating the six-speed behind the Tech Package instead of just the A-Spec.

If you really just want a Civic Si with a hatch (that's me!) the $8k leap is pretty steep. Honda/Acura are famously incentive-shy too so that is certainly going to be the minimum street price.

Mazda did a similar thing with this generation 3 (manual only on the highest trim level, well at least before the turbos came out) and I wonder how well that's worked out for them.

yupididit
yupididit PowerDork
4/28/22 12:32 p.m.

Those prices seem pretty fair to me.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
4/28/22 12:34 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Very similar desires here, haha. If I'm able to stay with a smaller car (vs Tahoe/expedition) I expect I'll get a Civic Sport hatch. The price jump is for sure more than I can stomach/expect to feel is worth spending. That said, ~$36k is cheaper than I was expecting this to be..

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
4/28/22 12:49 p.m.
pointofdeparture said:

If you really just want a Civic Si with a hatch (that's me!) the $8k leap is pretty steep. Honda/Acura are famously incentive-shy too so that is certainly going to be the minimum street price.

Mazda did a similar thing with this generation 3 (manual only on the highest trim level, well at least before the turbos came out) and I wonder how well that's worked out for them.

yep.  I thought the Si was already getting a bit steep, but this jump is just too much.  This is a 15 second hatchback, I dont want to spend $35k on it

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
4/28/22 2:56 p.m.
yupididit said:

Those prices seem pretty fair to me.

Acura is shooting for the nostalgia boom with this pig with a wig. For $35k go Hyundai Elantra N or TRD Camry. 

trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/28/22 3:06 p.m.

The Integra sure is nice!  Unfortunately, they are quite proud of them in the pricing.  I'm wondering with the limited microchip supply if Honda will siphon off some of those parts for the Integra, thus reducing Si production and even Civic Sport Touring production.  The 6MT is made in India so there is a lag getting them to the plants in the US and Canada (Si) so that might be why the manual is only available in the upper trim.  Might be a limited supply on those.

The price for the top trim is more than I paid for my 2019 Type R out-the-door.  Wow!

pointofdeparture
4/28/22 3:32 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

The Elantra N is a valid competitor but I don't think anyone is looking at this next to a TRD Camry, which is a significantly larger and less athletic vehicle with no manual option. I'm starting to casually shop in this segment and I sure wouldn't.

Also everyone keeps calling this thing a pig, but I ran the power/weight numbers in the other thread, and the new Integra is actually pretty lightweight for a new vehicle. It's much less of a weight increase than the RSX was over the Integra, and makes a lot more power with a huuuuuge area under the curve.

I really wanted to see a six speed option at $32k though and not $36k. Depending on how the new CTR is priced Honda/Acura might create an awkward cannibalizing of their own market.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
4/28/22 3:34 p.m.

In reply to trucke :

I know Honda isn't delivering Sis right now.  Mine has been pushed out a ways.  It's scheduled for a June build now.  It was originally April.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/28/22 3:52 p.m.

To me, you don't get a jump in performance over the Civic Si so what is the motivation to pay more? You don't get unique styling, the Si is pretty darn good at handling, the interior is great and the technology is modern. That's a lot to pay for a hatchback and a badge. At $32K, the Elantra N seems to make more sense if you want sporty, at $36K the G70 makes more sense for luxury. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/28/22 4:02 p.m.

Sad that the manual is basically only available on the top trim....

trucke
trucke SuperDork
4/28/22 4:05 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to trucke :

I know Honda isn't delivering Sis right now.  Mine has been pushed out a ways.  It's scheduled for a June build now.  It was originally April.

That stinks.  I got mine a couple of Friday's ago.  Was supposed to be a February build, but was pushed to March with an April delivery.  It will be worth the wait.

My dealer said they may only get 1 or 2 more for 2022.

You can track your Si here.  Just click on your dealer on the map.

2022 Civic Si Transit Tracker

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/28/22 6:11 p.m.

That map,is pretty cool !

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/28/22 6:54 p.m.

At $32K this is at the top of my "if the Speed3 dies" list, but I have no interest in a CVT, and $37K is too steep for this. I love hatchbacks but can't justify that premium over the Si. Maybe they'll remedy this in future years. It's surprising because I thought like 70% of their reservations were for the 6MT. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
4/28/22 11:17 p.m.
CrashDummy said:

At $32K this is at the top of my "if the Speed3 dies" list, but I have no interest in a CVT, and $37K is too steep for this. I love hatchbacks but can't justify that premium over the Si. Maybe they'll remedy this in future years. It's surprising because I thought like 70% of their reservations were for the 6MT. 

And its predecessor the ilx with the 2.4 could be had with an 8 speed dual clutch transmission.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
4/29/22 8:39 a.m.

Decent price for a luxury Accord I guess. Yeah I know we all complain about how big cars are now, but this boat has the same wheelbase, dimensions, and weight as a 2006 Accord sedan. To call it an Integra is a joke. At least back then you could pair the manual with a V6. Gate-keeping the manuals behind higher trims only adds insult to injury.

Mowry
Mowry New Reader
4/29/22 8:50 a.m.

All this to get heated seats in a Civic Si.  Do the Canadians get a better version of this for less money, too?

pointofdeparture
4/29/22 11:23 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Decent price for a luxury Accord I guess. Yeah I know we all complain about how big cars are now, but this boat has the same wheelbase, dimensions, and weight as a 2006 Accord sedan. To call it an Integra is a joke. At least back then you could pair the manual with a V6. Gate-keeping the manuals behind higher trims only adds insult to injury.

I don't understand this argument. Cars grow over time, this just happens, but it's still smaller than an old Accord, and MUCH smaller than a new one. Also, the Integra's curb weight hasn't even been publicly released, but it probably won't be THAT much heavier than the Si (~350lbs lighter than a 2006 Accord).

• 2023 Integra: 107.7 wheelbase, 185.8 length, 72.0 width, 55.5 height, TBD weight
  • 2022 Civic Si: 107.7 wheelbase, 184.0 length, 70.9 width, 55.5 height, 2937 weight
  • 2006 Accord: 107.9 wheelbase, 191.1 length, 71.6 width, 57.3 height, 3371 weight
  • 2022 Accord: 111.4 wheelbase, 192.1 length, 73.3 width, 57.1 height, 3380 weight

I also don't understand "at least back then you could pair the manual with a V6." That...was the highest Accord trim?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
4/29/22 2:36 p.m.

New Integra is rumored to be over 3100 lbs, which is the same as a base 4-cylinder Accord sedan in 2006 (not the V6 numbers you pulled). Other than front and rear overhangs, it's the same size as one too. Cars grow, but don't expect me to agree an Integra should weigh over 3,000 lbs and be that huge. I feel the same about the new Civic. Yes you had to get a higher trim for the V6 manual, but you could also get a manual in the lower trims with 4-cyl. The point is now they gate-keep you into only the most expensive trim or else you get stuck with a lame CVT in something that supposedly has enthusiast appeal. You don't have to think the new Integra has lost all credibility, but this is why many of us feel it has.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/29/22 2:40 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

"Other than the overhangs".  So it's not the same size.  Wheelbase is not the sole determinant of size. 

I do agree with the complaints about manual only on the highest trim.  But considering how hard Honda works to keep their number of combinations they build to a minimum, I'm unfortunately completely un-surprised by this. 

pointofdeparture
4/29/22 3:00 p.m.

I'm still at a loss over the Accord argument, it feels very cherry picked. The original 1986 Integra (2,326 lbs) was significantly larger and heavier than a 1976 Accord (1,980 lbs). Ergo, the original Integra was bad? You can carry that argument forward through the entire Integra's existence and, surprise, the newer Integra was larger and heavier than the older Accord in almost every instance! That's such a weird lens to judge a car through.

You can say that you don't like the new one, but everyone keeps talking about the new Integra like the Type-R and GSR were the only ones to ever exist before this, and that the vast majority weren't LS automatics.

Why You're Wrong To Hate The New Acura Integra | CarBuzz

We are lucky to get thrown a bone with an A-Spec 6-speed model, even if it is too expensive.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UltraDork
4/29/22 3:12 p.m.

The comparison was just to give a frame of reference for how big and heavy this one is. I didn't say "it's bigger than this older car therefore it must bad". I said "here's how big and heavy it is compared to another big heavy car you see on the road all the time, and I don't like that about it". By the way, a '22 Accord weighs almost the same as it did 20 years ago, so I disagree that cars must always grow in weight and size as a rule. You're allowed to like this car, but my argument is valid as is yours. I just disagree. 

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
4/29/22 3:28 p.m.

As a thought, this Integra has 4 doors.  Which means the proper size comparison would be to the last 4 door (sedan) Integra of a bit over 20 years ago.  Ignoring weight differences for now, that means that since the last comparable version, the Integra has grown by 4.6 inches in wheelbase (103.1 vs 107.7) and 7.7 inches in overall length (178.1 vs 185.8). 

So while it's bigger, it's not massively bigger.  The over-size compared to the Civic of the same era is actually less now.  Wheelbase is within 1/10 of an inch for both cars in the late 90s and now.  Overall length was was 3 inches more than the Civic back then, it's only 1.8 inches now.  So the new Integra has grown slightly less in length than the Civic has over that time period. 

SEADave
SEADave Dork
4/29/22 3:30 p.m.

It's a shame that they didn't keep making the Genesis G70 with the manual.   Would be pretty close competition for the Integra, particularly since the Integra will likely sell for above sticker.  A base model G70 is RWD with 252 hp.   

pointofdeparture
4/29/22 3:30 p.m.

Frankly it just grinds my gears to no end that people show up and throw around the words "pig" and "boat" about a car that will probably weigh 3100lbs and put down some pretty solid performance numbers, certainly better than a stripper 2006 Accord.

Enthusiasts will whine about how nothing is made for us anymore, but every time an automaker throws us a bone, it's never good enough. And we wonder why nothing is made for us anymore.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jQsVTV5kqJ156AL8v0izONGSkvO65dAcPtg8KYS1st91SHRaErJtacH8PWUrN2vq