Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/22/23 11:00 a.m.

Story by Tim Suddard

With the introduction of the Hornet, Dodge has introduced its first all-new car in 10 years. This one might have been worth the wait.

The Hornet is an all-wheel-drive small SUV–think BMW X2 or Honda HR-V–that just kills it in the looks, comfort and performance categories. Yes, we’re surprised as well.

The gas-powered version–268 horsepower along with 295 lb.-ft. of torque–outpowers the similarly priced Honda. The Hornet also makes 40 horsepower more than the BMW X2–a vehicle that costs about $10,000 more.

All this power comes from a direct-injected, 2.0-liter engine coupled to a nine-speed automatic transmission that includes manual mode. Zero-to-60 times for this combination are said to be 6.5 seconds, but straight-line speed is not what this Hornet does best: Especially in Sport mode, it just tackled the mountains of Asheville, North Carolina, the site of the press introduction.

Photography Credit: Tim Suddard

The new Hornet GT was unflappable. Stock equipment includes Koni FSD dampers and optional Brembo brakes. (Brembo brakes come standard on the R/T, however.)

Turn in felt lightning quick, steady-state cornering was sports car-like, and brake fade was nil. And optional Track Pack can be added: 20-inch wheels, Alcantara sport seats, dual-stage valve suspension and red Brembo calipers.

This kind of handling always comes with a price, right? Not on the Hornet GT. The ride is taut but never jarring. Even railroad tracks did not upset this excellent chassis.

And the kicker in this whole package: The new Hornet is one of the quietest small SUVs we have ever driven. Road noise was nonexistent.

Photography Credits: Tim Suddard

Outside, the Hornet is quite attractive. Dodge avoided the angular styling so popular on Japanese SUVs today. And they thankfully avoided the big, gaping maw that other manufactures seem so enamored with. The Hornet looks like a Dodge and a damned good-looking Dodge at that.

Visibility is excellent, with no blind spots. While the electric liftgate is not really needed on a vehicle this size, it opens easily to provide space for groceries. The rear seats fold down to provide space to carry a mountain bike or luggage.

Photography Credits: Tim Suddard

Inside, the interior is sharp looking, ergonomically just about perfect, and a welcoming space to spend some driving time. The attractive black seats have sporty red stitching accents. The seats are also heated and cooled, but we’d like a bit more support.

Other interior niceties include a heated steering wheel, wireless phone charging, a very competent Harmon Kardon 465-watt stereo system (with 14 speakers), adaptive cruise control, and all the nannies that you will never need. As expected in a vehicle this size, rear seat leg room is compromised with the front seats all the way back.

Photography Credit: Tim Suddard

If the Hornet seems to be more European than a reincarnation of the unloved Caliber, that is because the Hornet originates from the Alfa Romeo Tonale small SUV.

All this performance does come at a price. Dodge claims fuel mileage will range from 21-29 mpg with an average of 24 mpg. Unlike the rest of the Hornet’s stats, this one will not lead the class.

Prices for the GT will range from $29,995 to $34,995 depending on equipment levels. The Hornet is rated to tow 2000 pounds.

The Hornet is also available in a hybrid R/T trim. Equipped with a 1.3-liter turbocharged gas engine and two electric motors, this package brings zero-to-60 times down to 5.6 seconds and horsepower up 20 to 288 (with an impressive 383 lb.-ft. of torque). The R/T is also more than 400 pounds heavier than the GT’s base weight of 3715 pounds. The hybrid version also costs some $10,000 more.

Photography Credit: Courtesy Dodge

After driving both vehicles, we would opt for the GT–just didn’t see the value in going with the heavier, more complex vehicle. We also found the heavier R/T to simply lack the playfulness of the GT. (While economy numbers were not provided for the R/T, they would have to be a lot higher to ever recoup the extra $10,000 price tag.)

You could argue that the R/T is nearly a second faster to 60 mph than the GT, but in the real world, that is not the deciding factor of why more people buy small SUVs.

A small- to mid-size SUV is probably the smart vehicle choice for much of America, and there are a lot of choices in this space. Dodge has moved to the head of the class with its new Hornet, with GT models on sale very, very soon–if not already in some markets–and the R/T arriving this May.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
3/22/23 11:15 a.m.

I'll admit I had to ask the editorial team: What does Dodge mean when they say "Dual Stage Valve suspension."

From Alfa Romeo:

Dual Stage Valve electronic suspension

The Dual Stage Valve electronic suspension provides a choice between performance and comfort. Developed in conjunction with Marelli – a historic technology partner of Alfa Romeo, the electronic shock absorbers feature a special electroactuated valve within the shock absorber that provides independent damping curves. Two modes are available, Comfort and Sport. The former is the preset calibration in the D.N.A. Advanced Efficiency and Normal selections, to ensure the smoothest performance on uneven roads. Conversely, Sport mode predominates in the D.N.A. Dynamic and ESC Off modes, which reduces body movement and increases vertical rigidity, aimed at improved vehicle dynamics on corners. Finally, by pressing the dedicated button on the DNA selector, the calibration of Dynamic mode can be activated or deactivated.

That's pretty impressive on this little thing!

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
3/22/23 1:00 p.m.

This could be an interesting development for the circle track "Hornet" classes. devil

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/22/23 1:02 p.m.

That is one derpy looking CUV. It looks like a car drawn for GTA to represent the most boring possible CUV.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
3/22/23 1:10 p.m.
93EXCivic said:

That is one derpy looking CUV. It looks like a car drawn for GTA to represent the most boring possible CUV.

Agreed, no risk taking in this rebadged lump. Though the hatch opening looks very usable so at least it's a practical lump, and it isn't as edgy as the pre-rona (C7?) era of cars. Well, practical until you have to buy 20" tires for your Track Pack lump. 

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UberDork
3/22/23 3:48 p.m.

Glad to know it impressed the GRM crowd.  It looked like a competent little CUV (if that's the market you're in) with some potential tweaking upgrades in the future via Mopar Performance.

-Rob

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
3/23/23 8:11 a.m.

Dodge needs to lower it, bigger brakes and some more power. Let the SRT-4 moniker come back as the Hornet SRT-4. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
3/23/23 9:31 a.m.

I checked one out at the Cleveland Car Show last month, I think it looks great.  I also had a feeling it was based on an Alfa, I see a lot of Stelvio in it.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 4:56 p.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I'll admit I had to ask the editorial team: What does Dodge mean when they say "Dual Stage Valve suspension."

From Alfa Romeo:

Dual Stage Valve electronic suspension

The Dual Stage Valve electronic suspension provides a choice between performance and comfort. Developed in conjunction with Marelli – a historic technology partner of Alfa Romeo, the electronic shock absorbers feature a special electroactuated valve within the shock absorber that provides independent damping curves. Two modes are available, Comfort and Sport. The former is the preset calibration in the D.N.A. Advanced Efficiency and Normal selections, to ensure the smoothest performance on uneven roads. Conversely, Sport mode predominates in the D.N.A. Dynamic and ESC Off modes, which reduces body movement and increases vertical rigidity, aimed at improved vehicle dynamics on corners. Finally, by pressing the dedicated button on the DNA selector, the calibration of Dynamic mode can be activated or deactivated.

That's pretty impressive on this little thing!

Just like my '87 RX-7 had smiley

Modern variable damping shocks tend to work a lot better and have MUCH better control algorithms.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ SuperDork
3/23/23 5:51 p.m.

Want a competent little CUV?  Get a Gen 3 RAV4 with the 3.5L.  smiley

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
3/23/23 5:55 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

The funny thing about the 2GR-FE that I replaced this week is not that the replacement engine knocks like something wants out, it's that the engine I took out was already a replacement, unless Toyota uses heat tabs with tamper-identifying paint over them.  So at 150k miles the thing has technically had three bad engines...

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
3/23/23 6:03 p.m.

Fwd? Awd? I'm intrigued.

These things are basically a hot hatch with a bit more space and a lot more comfort than the hatchbacks I grew up with.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
3/24/23 8:29 a.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:

Fwd? Awd? I'm intrigued.

These things are basically a hot hatch with a bit more space and a lot more comfort than the hatchbacks I grew up with.

AWD! It nearly competes with the Hyundai Kona N at its mid level level R/T  trim. The added R/T Plus model isnt really showing much different than the regular R/T eAWD. 

Horsepower: 288hp vs 286hp
Torque: 383tq vs 289tq
Weight: 4140lbs vs 3430lbs
Brakes: 13.3" front/12.1" rear vs 14.1" front/12.4" rear
MSRP: $39,995 vs $34,995

The Hornet actually has less ground clearance than the Kona N - 6.1" vs 6.4". Its also wider by 2". 

If Dodge can toss some more performance into this thing and slap the GLH or SRT-4 badge on it there could be a very viable N competitor.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/24/23 8:36 a.m.
93EXCivic said:

While I agree, at least some manufacturers seem to be moving away from "actively hideous" as a design strategy.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
3/24/23 8:47 a.m.
Duke said:
93EXCivic said:

While I agree, at least some manufacturers seem to be moving away from "actively hideous" as a design strategy.

I guess that is true. I just feel like the whole hood comes to far forward and it looks like it is looking down its nose. Then the wheel to wheel well gap looks awkward.

Also who put this as the thumbnail in the Dodge site.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7o25ofWuHkXbZ3SPYe2UQLYwRoYcx99GyV92AbWA6Y498ICJCr3vzNFfTVZqgktA