JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/8/23 8:45 a.m.

It’s the Rocky Balboa of sports sedans. At one point in its history, the Subaru WRX was on top of the world, defining an emerging genre of rally-inspired performance sedans and spurring a new generation of enthusiasts. 

But that was a long time ago. 

The world changed, but Rocky c…

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/9/23 9:53 a.m.

Saw a couple of them up close in the flesh for the first time this weekend at a Cars & Coffee. Holy cow, they look awful. Just really cheap and awkward and unharmonious. None of it seems to work well. 

MrStickShift
MrStickShift Reader
5/9/23 11:39 a.m.

I rode in one about a month ago, it was the mid-level, 6-speed manual. I own an 05, my dad an 06, and it felt alot like my 05, and his 06. The turn signal stalk was really odd, and the body cladding was ugly. It drove great though.

jharry3
jharry3 Dork
5/9/23 11:55 a.m.

Subaru is clinging to the past with the WRX (IMO).  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/9/23 1:18 p.m.

Isn't the '23 a relatively new platform? Vs something like a Challenger that is still living on a Mercedes SUV chassis from the 90s?

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
7/9/23 4:17 p.m.

I had the same thought. What is old about this WRX, other than the name?

kanaric
kanaric SuperDork
7/10/23 12:44 p.m.

I drove one of these and it still felt like a WRX. On top of that I see a lot around where I live about the same number I seen I every generation of WRX so I think it must still have appeal. I wonder how it sells? 

In reply to jharry3 :

I feel the opposite with this car. They very clearly are trying to make it more like an Audi Allroad or something like that. I think they are pulling a Ford and trying to make everything a crossover and this is their attempt at that with the WRX.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
7/10/23 1:31 p.m.
kanaric said:

I drove one of these and it still felt like a WRX. On top of that I see a lot around where I live about the same number I seen I every generation of WRX so I think it must still have appeal. I wonder how it sells? 

In reply to jharry3 :

I feel the opposite with this car. They very clearly are trying to make it more like an Audi Allroad or something like that. I think they are pulling a Ford and trying to make everything a crossover and this is their attempt at that with the WRX.

Subaru is still clinging to their past and doesn't know their way. They are losing their appeal as a nature/pet friendly brand because they haven't innovated in over a decade. They are simply selling the WRX as an homage to their old motorsports days with the hopes that their old fan base buys on nostaligia and the youngings buy because it appeals to a weird niche. I used to love me some Subaru but man they are going to turn into Mitsubishi soon. 

With that being said, I've seen a few new ones around. It's def a polarizing look. I don't think it's as bad in person but it is still not good. Looks like the interior got some much needed upgrades tho so theres that. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xSAx4N51pbodfgfGd5pSF7VBuQNVPf6w90uyTMsP9U6WeFEuBxH8NPvA082k9Lkp