3 4 5 6
Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/18/17 8:25 a.m.
ncjay wrote: Admittedly, I probably don't have all the facts, but if the Corvette was fast enough, the Aston would not have gotten near to begin with. That is still a lousy way to end a race for the Corvette camp.

The Astons were faster than Corvette this year.

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie HalfDork
6/18/17 8:30 a.m.

Wow, what a battle. Shame about the Corvette, although it didn't look to me like the AM car did anything wrong - just looked like Jordan Taylor outbraked himself going into the Mulsanne chicane, and the trip through the gravel caused all of the issues.

adam525i
adam525i New Reader
6/18/17 8:31 a.m.

Yeah, he had a massive front left lock up when he first cut the chicane on Mulsanne. His tires were going as they finished the second last lap and it almost looks like the front left finally goes down as they exit the last corner. The second Aston never touched the corvette if you watch the replay (or even got close to it). You can go back in any of the youtube livestreams right now and rewatch the whole thing unfold.

Adam

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 8:32 a.m.

Well to sum this up. WOW. What a race!!!

I asked my wife if we can go to experience this in person and she said yes!!! So a trip to France is now on the bucket list.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
6/18/17 8:35 a.m.

In reply to adam525i:

It certainly looked it from the angle of the camera on the feed I was watching when the replayed it. In fact they commentators even said that's what happened. But I'm not interested enough to go look at it again so I will concede.

adam525i
adam525i New Reader
6/18/17 8:37 a.m.

After watching the 12 hours of Sebring this year I knew I had to get back to see these guys run at Mosport, having watched this I need to buy those tickets!

Someday Toyota will win, maybe.

Adam

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 8:47 a.m.

And the winning Austin Martin was on Dunlops? Corvette looses the race due to a tire issue running Michilen tires (the big gorilla in tires at LeMans). Just adds another layer irony to the race.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 8:50 a.m.

Speaking of tires was there more tire failures this year than normal? I really don't remember one way or the other.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/18/17 9:16 a.m.

Y'all do know the Corvette tire issue was from the Aston hitting the Corvette after it ran wide at Arnage, right?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 9:25 a.m.
racerfink wrote: Y'all do know the Corvette tire issue was from the Aston hitting the Corvette after it ran wide at Arnage, right?

Wait what?

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 9:26 a.m.

I watched the last three hours of the race and did not see that. Note did the commentators mention that. When did that happen.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UberDork
6/18/17 9:28 a.m.

oh man, I thought that was the contact you were talking about! I didn't think Aston should have felt guilty about it but didn't want to weigh in since I know next to nil about professional racing (LeMans is really the only race I ever watch).

I'll see if I can find a clip

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UberDork
6/18/17 9:32 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jzQ1VJkcSF4

To me it looked like a dumb-ish move but I didn't think the aston could have gone any wider to avoid contact.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/18/17 9:33 a.m.

Exciting ending. When Jordan cut the chicane, I chalked it up to losing focus. Did he already have a tire issue at that point?

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/18/17 9:38 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

The lap before, when the AM dive bombed the Vette into Arnage. He ran wide, and instead of backing off and giving the Covette room (which did nothing wrong and stayed on track), Davidson turned right to get back on track and clipped the left rear tire of Taylor.

adam525i
adam525i New Reader
6/18/17 9:42 a.m.

Yep, and the left front was the one that went down...

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 9:47 a.m.

So I am now confused. Did the tire go down causing the lockup and them going strait at the chicane or did they overdrive the chicane lock it up and kill the already worn out tires?

wae
wae Dork
6/18/17 10:13 a.m.

It looked like a pretty optimistic move by the Aston but in my wholly uneducated opinion it was more of a racing incident than unavoidable contact. It looks like what really did the Corvette in was the wild ride through the chicane. After that maneuver, if Taylor had managed to hold off Adams I think there would have always been a bit of an asterisk there because before the tires went way off he had pulled out a bit of an advantage by not weaving through the tires or whatever they had in place as the penalty for blowing the chicane.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
6/18/17 10:40 a.m.
T.J. wrote: Exciting ending. When Jordan cut the chicane, I chalked it up to losing focus. Did he already have a tire issue at that point?

That is what I was wondering. Kind of a chicken or the egg question.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
6/18/17 11:30 a.m.

Did the Vette finish?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill UberDork
6/18/17 11:53 a.m.

I think it did finish in third place.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
6/18/17 12:19 p.m.
BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 SuperDork
6/18/17 1:18 p.m.

I'm sad, of course, that Ford didn't win and what a bummer for Toyota but wow what a race! Everything I love about endurance racing was there

captdownshift
captdownshift PowerDork
6/18/17 5:26 p.m.

Congratulations to Porsche on beating Jackie Chan. Somewhere SF1 is making that expression.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/19/17 1:48 p.m.

Rebellion Racing stripped of overall podium at 24 Hours of Le Mans

Rebellion Racing has been stripped of its overall podium in the 24 Hours of Le Mans, after being found to have run un-homologated bodywork to ease access to the starter motor on its No. 13 Oreca 07 Gibson.

The Swiss squad had a hole in the bodywork of the car, allowing the pit crew easier access to the starter motor to restart the engine after pit stops.

The car had suffered problems with the part earlier in the race.

David Heinemeier Hansson, Nelson Piquet Jr., and Mathias Beche drove the Oreca to third place overall and second in LMP2, finishing two laps behind the class-winning car.

The team has now been disqualified from the event, promoting the second Jackie Chan DC Racing by Jota Sport Oreca to third.

This gives the Chinese-backed, British-run team a double overall podium, with the No. 37 car of Alex Brundle, David Cheng and Tristan Gommendy joining class winners Ho-Pin Tung, Thomas Laurent and Olly Jarvis.

Signatech Alpine Matmut takes the final spot in the LMP2 class podium with its No. 35 Alpine A470 Nissan, meanwhile.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MSOUd59pBTWBlDvO9f8EaT7ge8vptDDJUjZwh8N6RQXChkLKzMSzT4imYzrmqLLe