1 2 3
spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
9/18/20 3:04 p.m.
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

You are crazy if you think the Sentra doesn't belong on that list. It's too high up the list in my opinion

As someone who was 3 when the SE-R in question went out of production. I've known of them.. but would not continue to define them as relevant to where we are today... in 2020.

unlike a LOT of the cars on this list.. that have become more relevant.. the Camaro and mustang both shed their stick axles for IRS and have become fixtures in the track scene over the past 6 years. The Camaro in particular has ushered in a new status quo of very fast and affordable cars that can be tracked reliably and keep their warranty.

Miata continues to be a default option, boxter became even more relevant as prices came down, as did it's stablemate the Cayman. 

The sentra may have made sense on the list 11 years ago.. but i don't think it deserves to be there anymore..

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/18/20 3:10 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Well the article is titled cars that have defined our scene, not cars that are currently defining our scene. 

octavious
octavious Dork
9/18/20 9:11 p.m.

How is the GRM scene complete without:

P81

Random tow pig

Obscure race car no one has seen for 30 years

???????

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/19/20 12:44 p.m.

In reply to nderwater :

I'd love to blame manufacturers for the crossover killing the small car. but they made and produce them side by side had them both available in dealership showrooms side by side, with the crossover costing at least six grand more than the non crossover alternative. And it was John Q public that decided to spend more money to get the crossover. Manufacturers didn't kill the good small car, it was people who finance more car then they need to impress their neighbors, go to Chili's for 2 for 20 on Fridays for date night and think that an upright seating position magically makes a vehicle better in the snow. 

Ivar Ridgeway
Ivar Ridgeway
9/20/20 1:32 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

And sadly those 3 manufactures you listed, who exemplified good performance potential/technology, good build quality, at a fair price point got outdone in the current times by an unexpected manufacturer, Hyundai with the Veloster N. The Civic Type R is a great car but the price gouging when it came out really soured me on them.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/21/20 8:12 a.m.

Man, I must be doing something wrong. I have only owned 2.5 cars on the list: 1983 Camaro Z28, a pair of WRX's, and I'm counting my 1987 Shelby CSX as a half point.

BradLTL
BradLTL UltraDork
9/29/20 3:48 p.m.

I think you guys took the easy way out here.  Which Miata?  Which Mustang?  Which Camaro?

This conversation gets a lot harder if you have to narrow it down to a specific generation of each model.

That said, I've owned: 5

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/29/20 4:32 p.m.

I've owned 8 examples of 4 entries on the list.  I've driven most of the other listed cars, but I guess I stayed pretty focused when it came time to putting my money down.

Owned:
-Mazda Miata NA, NB
-BMW 3 Series E30, E36
-Honda Civic Gen 1
-Porsche Boxster 987

Driven:
-Mazda Miata NC, ND
-BMW 3 Series E46, E90, F30
-Honda Civic/CRX Gen 4, 5, 6, Integra/RSX Gen 3, 4
-Ford Mustang Fox, SN-95, S-197, S-550
-Porsche 911 930, 964, 996, 997, 991
-Chevy Corvette C5, C6
-Chevy Camaro Gen 3, Gen 4
-MINI Cooper R50, R56
-Nissan 350Z
-VW GTI MKIII, MKIV
-Mazda RX-7 FC
-Subaru Impreza GD
-Lotus Elise Series 2
-Dodge Neon Gen 1
-Honda S2000 AP1
-Porsche Boxster 986, 981, 718
-Toyota Celica T180, T230, Corolla E100, E110
-Volvo 200 Series, 700 Series

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
12/6/21 11:10 a.m.

The Mustang and Porsche 911 almost didn't survive.  The Ford Probe was to replace the Mustang and the 924/944/928 were to usher in a new direction for Porsche.  Only a great outcry by their respective enthusiasts prevented that from happening.

As an aside, the Boxter was Porsche's retro car, built when Plymouth built the PT Cruiser/Viper/Prowler and Chevy built the HHR and a convertible hard top pickup.  The Boxter was patterned after the 356.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
12/6/21 4:45 p.m.

In reply to ProDarwin :

I remember when that issue came out.  If I remember right, I have owned one car that was not on the list.

jimgood
jimgood New Reader
1/17/22 1:14 p.m.

I love that you included the Factory Five. No car has ever stirred my soul as my Factory Five did. No car taught me as much about balance as that car did.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) PowerDork
1/17/22 4:02 p.m.

I either have really good tastes or a serious car problem.  I've owned 11 of the 25 cars on the list.

Meporsche
Meporsche New Reader
1/17/22 4:33 p.m.

Sure didn't expect to see a Swedish Brick on the list.

Those Spec Racers used to go around turns like nobody's business.   My very 1st race (a LONG time ago) was me in a 72 911 my co-driver put on the pole at the late, great Bridgehampton.   Well, I was humbled pretty quickly.  I had them on the straights and chutes but they crawled all over me in the corners.  Tons of fun,   right up until I got T-boned by an out of control Fiat of all things.   But that's another story.   Love GRMS

Meporsche
Meporsche New Reader
1/17/22 4:34 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :

Not a problem, a disease.   Curable by dying.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/22 4:39 p.m.

I think the list could have been 20, there were a few there that were padding. I don't think the Viper ever defined anything, for example. But overall, GRM's been in the scene for a long time and they know what's up.

This, though:

The original Mini showed the world that front-wheel drive could be fun. Honda took that idea and ran toward the end zone

I've got a first-year CRX and an original Mini (the Mini is actually a year newer). This is 100% on the ball, the CRX is the Mini but with Japanese reliability and fewer seats. They both have a very similar approach to performance and are equally fun to drive.

GeddesB
GeddesB New Reader
1/17/22 5:52 p.m.

I've owned 5, planning on buying a sixth, and currently own two. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
1/17/22 7:27 p.m.

I have owned 8 cars on the list and still own two. I will have to defend the first gen. Sentra SE-R. It was awesome for it's time. I came out of a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z into a 1991 Sentra SE-R, still one of my favorite cars. Not my car pictured below, but mine was just like it.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/17/22 8:17 p.m.

I've owned 9 and have wanted quite a few of the others.  All 4 of my current hobby cars are represented on the list.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
1/17/22 8:18 p.m.

I agree the Sentra completely belongs on the list. It was a significant car.

Noddaz
Noddaz UberDork
1/17/22 8:38 p.m.

I have only had two of the above mentioned cars.  frown

Well that is something, right? laugh

Scott

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
1/18/22 4:23 p.m.

I've had a pretty awful morning, and what do I see but the link to this article in my email. I click it...

#1 and #2 are in my driveway.

I feel much better now. Bet I'd feel better still if I took one of them for a ride.

Thanks, everyone.

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
1/18/22 10:13 p.m.

I've owned 5 and currently own 2, though my Corrola isn't that Corrola...

MrFancypants
MrFancypants HalfDork
4/22/22 10:48 a.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

I've owned 5 and currently own 2, though my Corrola isn't that Corrola...

It looks like Toyota is playing with the idea of pushing the Corolla back towards its enthusiast roots... and for that I'm super thankful.

I had a modern one as a rental a few years back and it was honestly pretty fun to throw around. With a hot engine, manual gearbox, and tighter suspension it could be a very credible Si/GTI alternative.

hauckr1111
hauckr1111
4/22/22 3:01 p.m.

I would jut point out that the Miata, as nice as it is, was created as an MGB copy albeit with better reliability.  The entire MG lineage going back to the MGT series of the 50's sowed the original seeds of Grass Roots Motoring. 
PS: Dodge Omni? Really guys?

Dwight
Dwight New Reader
4/25/22 8:35 a.m.

In reply to hauckr1111 :

Right ON!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TLDVwKvuXdDPpxGzJ9TnV15CXc98zfgZdHYfPiEzBhHb8mOdNbgVjk3nDS4eb1an