1 2 3
Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/15/20 12:21 p.m.

The wife mentioned that she wouldn't mind getting a 2nd gen for a project car. I've never been a huge Camaro fan and the 2nd gen is far from my favorite so I know diddly about them. Tell me more.

What I do know is the later z28s are very neutered......and that's about it. 

What should I know about them?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/15/20 12:28 p.m.

They're heavy but any SBC should drop in easy.  BBC also.  They're cool.  You should get one.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/15/20 12:30 p.m.

Before someone says they aren't heavy.  Heavy is relative, for an American pony car they actually aren't that bad.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/15/20 12:32 p.m.

I agree with you, that they are my least favorite as well. 

RUST RUST RUST. 

Watch for rot in the sub frames and rear spring pockets, floor pans, where the rear quarters and rockerpanels meet, thats a bad spot. The front subframe mounts like to rot out. Rot in the lower cowl, you wont find that till you remove the fenders, the rear pan behind the bumper, under the wing on the deck lid, and sometimes around the windshield. Look at how bad the door hinges are, they wear and the door and striker gets torn up,  You primarily need to look over the sub structure real good, everything else bolts on and is easily replaced, ie: hood, doors, fenders, and decklid. The newer the car, typicaly, the least rust.

1970-1973.   360hp LT-1 350 in the Z and the rare 375hp, 402-cu.in. L78 in the SS.  M20, M21 and M22 four-speeds were also available until 1972--as were Turbo Hydra-Matic 350 and 400 automatics.

1977-'78, 15x7 wheels, the option of a Borg-Warner Super T-10 four-speed,  11-inch clutch, a stout drive shaft, 3.73:1 gear or 3.42:1 with an automatic

The  original 350 and 396 cars have the most potential

Sagging door hinges are a common problem, as are body panel cracks in cars with T-tops. Leaking T-tops contribute to floor rot.

79 was the highest production year and would be more abundant. Your best bet might be 77-80. Not the fastest, but if you rebuild the engine, it doesn't really matter. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
9/15/20 12:49 p.m.

It's an early subframe car, so subframe connectors will help. Door hinges are weak and the doors are long. The cars themselves are [decide heaviness here https://nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro-weight.html]

I had one, it was a terrible example, but I really enjoyed it.

iansane (Forum Supporter)
iansane (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/15/20 12:51 p.m.

Firebirds are cooler than Camaros.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/15/20 1:07 p.m.

I have a 1979 Trans Am, but a lot of the same stuff applies:

-They are capable of doing whatever your wallet can handle. Drag car? AutoX? Road racer? Gambler 500 off-roader? Yup.

-They like rusting out their rear subframe rails above the wheels and near the leaf spring mounts. Bodies love rusting in all sorts of creative ways. Find the cleanest shell you can. They do make all sorts of sheetmetal if you feel like welding.

-Early cars can be pricey, and later cars are taking off as well, but not as bad. The cheapest are the 1975-76 models because they didn't offer a Z28 in those years. You can still make those cool.

-The early SS's and Z28's are best performance-wise bone stock, but the later 1977-81 Z28's will have the better handling goodies (better steering box, bigger sway bars, etc). They also made a Rally Sport package for a few years in the late 70's that are like a "Z28-Lite", much like the Firebird Formula was to the Trans Am. Trans Am WS6 steering box, rear disc axle, and sway bars will bolt in and is an upgrade over the best Z28 stuff.

-Engines range from 250ci I6's to 396 big blocks. Most cars will have some sort of SBC, mostly 350's but they also offered the 305 later on. LS swaps are of course possible with ready-made swap kits.

What I would do: Find a clean 1979-81 Z28, because I think they look great. Turbo LS, backed by an auto that can handle it. Full upgraded suspension with a rear disc conversion. Make it look stock on the outside with the 1981 N90 wheels. That would be a fun "point and shoot" car that would be a blast on the street or just about anyone else.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
9/15/20 1:56 p.m.

Buy a  WS6 Trans-Am. They're a Camaro that's all grown up.

LSD, stiffer springs, stiffer swaybars, urethane bushings, hurst shifter and an aero package that is actually functional and was developed in a wind tunnel, all stock.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/20 3:10 p.m.

In reply to Antihero (Forum Supporter) :

The 80-81 z28 is one of the most gorgeous and perfectly styled automobiles ever.  That's all you need to know.  

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/15/20 6:17 p.m.
Patrick (Forum Supporter) said:

The 80-81 z28 is one of the most gorgeous and perfectly styled automobiles ever.  That's all you need to know.  

I disagree 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/15/20 6:29 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

Before someone says they aren't heavy.  Heavy is relative, for an American pony car they actually aren't that bad.

The cars are light but the doors weigh like 400lb each.

That's all I can figure.

The thing that keeps turning me off of those cars is the way the front subframe is cantilevered off of the floor.  Jack up an F or X body and you'll see the incredible flex inherent in the system.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
9/15/20 7:02 p.m.

I've had a whole bunch of 2nd gen Camaros.... base, Type LT, & Z-28's and Firebirds base, Esprit, and TA's don't remember having a Formula but I might have had one.  I have a small company that makes certain reproduction pieces and chassis stiffening components that really change the car. You can see them at Lab-14.com . The info people previously posted is good general information so not really much to add to that but if you have specific questions I can answer them or know someone who does know. Ask your wife what she thinks of Trans Ams because they were/are the upscale version of the 2nd gen F body. 

Here's mine

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/195ca599-f3de-4580-a4cc-d55daa8db651/p/31cfa2a1-9e0a-4b45-bf1f-e38247b6b637][/URL]

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/15/20 7:13 p.m.

In reply to NOT A TA :

The pre big bumper Endura cars are growing on me as I get older

'77 is always best of course, but those are lookin' good.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
9/15/20 8:01 p.m.
iansane (Forum Supporter) said:

Firebirds are cooler than Camaros.

Yes.  But I had a Camaro. *sigh*

But back to the OP question.  Throw all the Herb Adams VSE tech at it.  I think the company is gone but a lot of it can be done at home anyway.  And fab up the firewall to upper control arm mount to lower core support reinforcement.Then steal all the goodies from a WS6 Trans Am.  Big sway bars both ends and a better steering box.  I even had a Trans Am steering wheel on my Camaro.  It was better.  Personally, I would steer clear of T-Top cars.  They just look weakened to me.   But that is me.  

And because modern:

LS Swap

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/15/20 8:11 p.m.

My first car, briefly,  Jr of high school was a 76 LT Type with 305 and auto. It really wasn't fast but it was dangerous in my inexperienced hands. 

I still can not believe that the bucket seats don't recline. 

The 77 Malibu Classic with split bench it was replaced with late Sr year was much more conducive to "activities ".  Then, the 83 Rabbit with reclining seats was better than both.

Patrick (Forum Supporter)
Patrick (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/15/20 8:57 p.m.
Antihero (Forum Supporter) said:

I disagree 

I'm sorry you have horrible taste

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/15/20 9:59 p.m.

The A pillar is too vertical, and the trunk is flaccid.  You can solve the trunk with a spoiler, but the A pillar will always look goofy.  

Someday I will find a cheap aluminum bumper car and recreate a 71 Z28, which is the best looking of a not terribly attractive body.  

They never got the plastic bumpers right.

The Firebird is Jennifer, Camaro is Bailey.  Choose wisely.

I've not mentioned mechanicals, because they will swallow anything you could possibly want, most with factory parts.  235 six?  Sure.  Small block, big block, Pontiac of any size, Oldsmobile, sure.  Transmission?  Sure.  All of them. 8.5 10 bolt not sturdy enough?  12 bolt.  Suspension options out the ass.  If the factory didn't do it, the aftermarket sure did.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/15/20 10:15 p.m.

I’m an outlayer but my favorite is the 1974 Z28.  Why?  Most every car was ruined that year with the battering ram bumpers.  Somehow the Camaro managed to pull it off though.  They really look decent.  Plus ‘74 is the last year for true non catalyst dual exhausts.  And also the last year to be exempt from smog testing in a lot of places.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/15/20 10:18 p.m.

'74 is also the only year for the sugar scoop headlights but no wrap-around rear window. 

David S. Wallens
9/15/20 10:19 p.m.
03Panther
03Panther HalfDork

The 2nd gen did not appeal to me as much as 1st, but didn't hate 'em. 3rd gen, can't say the same about! Nowadays, 2nd gen's can be done up nice.

David S. Wallens

Gimp's build thread

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/15/20 10:21 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

I've had a whole bunch of 2nd gen Camaros.... base, Type LT, & Z-28's and Firebirds base, Esprit, and TA's don't remember having a Formula but I might have had one.  I have a small company that makes certain reproduction pieces and chassis stiffening components that really change the car. You can see them at Lab-14.com . The info people previously posted is good general information so not really much to add to that but if you have specific questions I can answer them or know someone who does know. Ask your wife what she thinks of Trans Ams because they were/are the upscale version of the 2nd gen F body. 

Here's mine

[URL=https://app.photobucket.com/u/NOTATA/a/195ca599-f3de-4580-a4cc-d55daa8db651/p/31cfa2a1-9e0a-4b45-bf1f-e38247b6b637][/URL]

Those side pipes are like putting braces on the hottest girl in the school.  What up with that?

David S. Wallens
9/15/20 10:26 p.m.

And the coolest movie scene featuring a second-gen. (And, yes, I will die on this hill.)

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
9/15/20 10:29 p.m.

You're 10 years late.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5zLDW4fSVPwENY3f5Cwz5oQ0uZI0dk2O0l4MNzwEbh9GyOS3RhiCfnzw01qsBMJa