1 2 3
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/20/17 7:24 p.m.

I wouldn't reccomend pulling a car with an s10. At least not a first gen. Just not enough mass, but thats my opinion not based in any kind of fact.

Can you run a fullsize? Regular cab longbed should be cheap and stupid practical.

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
8/20/17 7:30 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Oh I'm with you on that. They all max out around 6k towing, and not easily or for long stretches. but it's not like I can afford to buy a car trailer in even the near or medium distant future either.

I would like to get a full size, but I'd be willing to compromise with something smaller if that's what it took to stay legal.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/20/17 7:30 p.m.

One of our locals flat tows his Corolla rally car with a longbed 2WD S10, which gets upgraded to rallycross vehicle when the Corolla is down.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
8/20/17 7:37 p.m.

Flat towing is easy on the tow rig, if that's what you are doing. I would be perfectly fine pulling most cars with an s10 in a flat tow situation.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
8/20/17 9:11 p.m.
Robbie wrote: Flat towing is easy on the tow rig, if that's what you are doing. I would be perfectly fine pulling most cars with an s10 in a flat tow situation.

Eh, yes/no on that one. Flat towing often means no brakes on the vehicle being towed, so it's worse on the tow rig in that sense.

If you need to tow a car trailer with a small rig as a regular thing, set the equipment up specifically for that. Run a weight distribution setup on the hitch and have the trailer tongue extended a foot or 2. That'll move more of the weight to the trailer axles without giving up stability (you're not adding weight behind the trailer axles and the axles get proportionally farther back).

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/21/17 7:33 a.m.
Knurled wrote: One of our locals flat tows his Corolla rally car with a longbed 2WD S10, which gets upgraded to rallycross vehicle when the Corolla is down.

Which region is he running with? I thought WOR says no mini trucks, which was a little disappointing because i thought that would be fun and have some utility.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
8/21/17 7:35 a.m.
gearheadmb wrote:
Knurled wrote: One of our locals flat tows his Corolla rally car with a longbed 2WD S10, which gets upgraded to rallycross vehicle when the Corolla is down.
Which region is he running with? I thought WOR says no mini trucks, which was a little disappointing because i thought that would be fun and have some utility.

The last time he ran the S10 was before the no trucks rule. There isn't a strict no truck rule but they would have to be approved by the safety steward before running.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/21/17 7:46 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
gearheadmb wrote:
The last time he ran the S10 was before the no trucks rule. There isn't a strict no truck rule but they would have to be approved by the safety steward before running.

I see. Are you running this weekend?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
8/21/17 8:20 a.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

OVR is scheduled for this coming weekend. I need to diagnose and fix a possible damaged CV joint before then.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
8/21/17 8:45 a.m.

In reply to eastsidemav:

Yeah, i was planning on bringing the beater beretta. I havent registered yet though.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
8/21/17 9:30 a.m.

I'll be there, I should be running the Miata.

We only have 14 registered so far.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/21/17 1:29 p.m.

Whether I am there or not is determined by if my new struts get shipped in time. R/F is on the basketball bounce program and is barely drivable on the street.

I'd rather not take the RX-7 because I want to make a more serious effort at PF at Nationals this year.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/21/17 10:50 p.m.

I have a ZQ8 S10 ext cab and i would say i'd be comfortable flat-towing a <3000lb car with it. But i drive pretty cautiously when towing and live in a flat-ish area. I know a lot of people here want to be able to stay going 70mph over their mountain passes without downshifting yadda yadda and that's not a usage regime i relate to at all. It wouldn't work for that..

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/21/17 11:19 p.m.

The only time I ever towed with a "minitruck" was with a B4000, hauling an RX-7 carcass on a steel deck tandem axle trailer with only one working inertia brake, and all it did was lock up.

It actually towed really, really well, and if I kept it over 65mph, I didn't have to shift down from 5th going uphill. Slow down below that, however, and it was a downward spiral of downshifting and suckage.

Definitely towed way better than the next tow vehicle I used, a Dodge Durango. And both of those were WAY better than my flat towing experiences, which admittedly mostly revolved around a GC 2.5RS with no rear brakes.

Anyway, Adam lives in Kentucky now, I think, and the roads ain't exactly flat there. On the other hand the last couple times I saw him, he drove the rally car rather than towing it. (And yes, it's a rally car, not a rallycross car - his Corolla is caged and logbooked)

RevRico
RevRico SuperDork
8/22/17 12:20 a.m.

So what I'm hearing is it will be up to the region and possibly could vary by the venue. E36 M3. I'll just have to ask all the important people before I make a big decision then. As much as I despise lowered trucks, I don't see how an extended cab S10 or F150 with a 2 inch drop would be much different than the Wagoneer that I saw run Sunday.

Realistically, all I see the need to tow in the next 2ish years is sub 1000 pound pig cooker, and a 5x10 single axle without brakes utility trailer. Truly things I could tow with the Vic if it wouldn't require a transmission replacement or rebuild. It's the space of a bed that I need more than anything for wood, steel, scrap runs, trash night and Craigslist picking, and extended cab because toddler.

The bigger problem is that everything in my price range around here either needs a new motor, new bed, cab corners, or frame work. I do have a welder and lack of caring for aesthetics though...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bUycEu5l8wGerQQtJDbBS9sDOwb8sH9xAb4C9HAtGIJPfVUzimNDRSPJkLqHXuBw