1 2
Knurled
Knurled PowerDork
5/3/14 8:31 a.m.

That's what I was thinking... if there's a place where 350 cores (not even running engines, just blown-up/worn-out cores) were $250, let me know where and I can arrange for a truck to pick up a dozen or so.

(Really.)

bentwrench
bentwrench Reader
5/3/14 9:17 a.m.

302!! 4" bore will breathe better. Also room for longer rods....

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
5/3/14 9:36 a.m.

stab in the 305/th350 and drive the car while you bodywork it, then save your cash for the engine you want. don't touch cam, intake, anything. hear it run and put it in untouched. a 305 with a decent cam is just that - a 305. in the mean time do all your chassis upgrades to prep for the future engine, so when you're ready to go you are not stabbing a monster into a car that can't handle it or hook when you put it in.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/3/14 10:29 a.m.

one other thing: if that Monza 305 has the correct factory oil pan, motor mounts, and accessory brackets (PS pump especially) that stuff is worth a few bucks to someone looking to put a V8 into a Vega... if it's just a parts car, grab the radiator, as well, since that's also unique to the Monza... Monza TH350 has a unique tailshaft that may or may not be worth something along with the other parts... play it right, and that stuff might net you enough to make it possible to just get a mildly built 350.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
5/3/14 2:15 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik:

Good call on selling Monza parts suggestion

It sounds like both engines are good foundations for a cheap Summit cam, and Vortec swap (heads)

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
5/3/14 6:59 p.m.

if the Monza is just a parts car, you should also grab the motor mounts off the frame, too.. they just bolt in with (i think) 3 bolts holding each of them in. the exhaust manifolds are also Monza specific.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
5/3/14 10:24 p.m.

With out pulling out a pile of paperwork there were significant differences in durability between the 305 and the 307. It has to do with rod angles and bore and what not. IF you are interested I can pull out the durability index for SBC that we put together way back when we were drag racing SBC's

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
5/4/14 10:05 p.m.

Well we went to pick up the Monza today and worked out a plan. I'm going to use a th350 my dad has that's a bit stronger than the one in the Monza. My friend is going to let me borrow the 305 until I get a different engine built. He's going to drop a nitrous small block/5 speed combo in it. I'm going to try to build a 331 with forged internals (at least pistons and rods). He bought the Monza to beat the hell out of some GT500 mustangs in our car club so I won't be able to grab any extra parts.

The_Jed
The_Jed SuperDork
5/5/14 2:40 a.m.

Planning to stomp on GT500's with a Monza...

That's going to take a few dollars!

DCharger68
DCharger68 Reader
5/5/14 2:34 p.m.

In reply to The_Jed: His dad has an ungodly amount of resources laying around to do so. But then again his dad spanks on those same GT500s all motor.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr Dork
5/5/14 3:03 p.m.

I just checked craigslist in pittsburgh. There are a few engines for $400.00 or so. I know there are a few in teh local junkyard that are $150.00 complete.

When we raced our Malibu in Lemons races, we went through an engine about every other race. The most I paid was $400.00 for an engine. I actually got a few of them for $100.00 and 1 of them for FREE!

Rob R.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OOClc36DBv2GVXHWUulZ5uzFrxv7bOi2P57y9EUc19eYegle7bLpX1QRNUuly5ar