1 2
forzav12
forzav12 Reader
6/23/10 6:11 p.m.
scardeal wrote: In reply to ReverendDexter: I'd think that a Genesis Coupe V8 would weigh slightly less than a Mustang GT. The main difference between the two would be IRS, if that came out to any appreciable handling difference.

Doubtful, as the V6 Hyundai is already a few lbs heavier than the V6 Mustang.

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
6/23/10 6:24 p.m.
forzav12 wrote: I left with a massive case of the mehs.

I lol'd

I think it's one of the better looking cars on the market right now.

Schmidlap
Schmidlap Reader
6/24/10 7:21 a.m.

I withdraw my earlier cynicism about the engine not fitting. According to Edmunds:

"Asked whether or not the 5.0-liter engine would fit into the Genesis Coupe, a Hyundai engineer said yes, 'but we have chosen not to do that, possibly for the next generation.' "

Edmunds Hyundai Article

Hyundai did say that the V8 didn't fit in the Coupe when the Coupe was launched didn't they, or am I insane?

Bob

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/24/10 7:47 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: What I want to know is what's gonna make Hyundai's 429 hp Genesis more worth my money than a Mustang GT? Does it handle significantly better? Will it be significantly cheaper? Will it be significantly lighter? Better interior design? Aftermarket? More open to modding under warranty? Better fuel economy?

That is a really good question. From what I read, the Mustang just keeps getting better and better. We know the aftermarket is there! It might come down to interior preference:

Retro:

Funky:

(The Huyndai wins points for having a racetrack out the window!)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
6/24/10 7:48 a.m.

FWIW, the Shelby version is a hands-down winner IMHO:

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
6/24/10 8:33 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: There's a time when 429 would've impressed me. But when the Mustang has 412, the Camaro has ~420, the GTO had 400, the Challenger and Charger both have ~420, CTS-Vs are running around with ~560... I'm just jaded to big power numbers.

Seriously? 429 isn't enough? Have you driven a 400HP car? They are fast as E36 M3! I love HP, and even I see that the current HP race is getting retarded. 20 years ago a 12 second car was a pretty damned impressive hot rod. Now you can get a 12 second car with a factory warranty and near zero emissions, and that's not impressive?

miatame
miatame Reader
6/24/10 9:02 a.m.

I remember when my E36 M3 was powerful and fast......

My wife's RAV4 V6 is more powerful and almost as fast...does anyone else see something wrong with that?

YaNi
YaNi Reader
6/24/10 10:09 a.m.
miatame wrote: I remember when my E36 M3 was powerful and fast...... My wife's RAV4 V6 is more powerful and almost as fast...does anyone else see something wrong with that?

It used to take skillz or a giant checkbook to go fast. Now any clod can go down to the dealer and drive home a 400+hp monster.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/24/10 10:24 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Seriously? 429 isn't enough? Have you driven a 400HP car? They are fast as E36 M3! I love HP, and even I see that the current HP race is getting retarded. 20 years ago a 12 second car was a pretty damned impressive hot rod. Now you can get a 12 second car with a factory warranty and near zero emissions, and that's not impressive?

Sure it's impressive. But it's no longer special. It's not like the early '90s when the Viper came out with 430hp and people's jaws hit the floor because everything else was making less than 300 (exotics excluded), and usually on the low end of the 200s. At this point, I don't know that you can buy any new car with a V6 that makes less than 250hp, no matter how beige it is. If I want 400hp off the lot with a warranty, I have many options at this point, I don't have to go to Hyundai for the pleasure.

If anything, 400hp is too much. I gave up my 300 hp Cobra because it just wasn't any fun to drive on the street (fast car slow). I can't imagine where you can actually open up 400 horses outside of a racetrack or maybe burning down highway 95 between Reno and Vegas at 3am.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Dork
6/24/10 11:12 a.m.

It's going to take all 429 horses, and then some, to make up for how SHOCKINGLY ugly it is. Seriously, that front end is Edsel-like in it's unattractive, bile in the throat aesthetics.

P71
P71 SuperDork
6/24/10 11:59 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: It's going to take all 429 horses, and then some, to make up for how SHOCKINGLY ugly it is. Seriously, that front end is Edsel-like in it's unattractive, bile in the throat aesthetics.

Couldn't disagree more. I find the Genesis Coupe has one of the best looking schnozes of all new cars.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/24/10 12:07 p.m.
P71 wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: It's going to take all 429 horses, and then some, to make up for how SHOCKINGLY ugly it is. Seriously, that front end is Edsel-like in it's unattractive, bile in the throat aesthetics.
Couldn't disagree more. I find the Genesis Coupe has one of the *best* looking schnozes of all new cars.

(shrugs).....It looks like a pissed off anime cat wearing orthodontic headgear....

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
6/24/10 1:51 p.m.

I'm still not crazy about the two upward-sloping creases down the side that overlap. They're several inches apart where they meet/overlap. Otherwise, I'd call it a good-looking car. But I prefer the looks of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger (in that order). The headlights make it look like someone with very chubby cheeks smiling.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
6/24/10 2:26 p.m.

The front looks like a ninja turtle. Yet I still like it. See!?!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
6/24/10 2:31 p.m.
JeepinMatt wrote: I'm still not crazy about the two upward-sloping creases down the side that overlap. They're several inches apart where they meet/overlap. Otherwise, I'd call it a good-looking car. But I prefer the looks of the Camaro, Mustang and Challenger (in that order). The headlights make it look like someone with very chubby cheeks smiling.

I like the overlapping creases.. it continues a design point that first came to light in the 1st gen tiburon.. it also reminds me of the sills on the E36m3

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
6/24/10 2:53 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: (shrugs).....It looks like a pissed off anime cat wearing orthodontic headgear....

Genesis Coupe grill

Dog with his head out window

Cheeks catch moving air

Buzz Killington
Buzz Killington Reader
6/24/10 3:11 p.m.

i like the looks of the Camaro better but i wouldn't want to live with it every day. the Genesis is at least functional (i.e., you're not driving a pillbox bunker).

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
6/24/10 3:18 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
JFX001 wrote: (shrugs).....It looks like a pissed off anime cat wearing orthodontic headgear....
Genesis Coupe grill Dog with his head out window Cheeks catch moving air

Domo arigato, Dexter-san....

Marty!
Marty! Dork
6/24/10 6:59 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Genesis Coupe grill Dog with his head out window Cheeks catch moving air

Wait, what.... Is that a Haiku? Lordy, just when I thought I've seen it all here and out comes a Haiku about a Hyundai.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
u0tGtMGJKzeySnmYFflBuaosiZSNMlEeKG5kZSmlnaoCW1zyagCbPH7t4SLuyv1h