ApexC
ApexC Reader
10/9/08 9:44 a.m.

Why the latest issue the first time I've heard of this beautiful car? Is there a build thread or more information on the site here that I've totally missed?

I was so enthralled by this build that I think I lapsed into a daydream coma this morning while reading it, wondering what sort of cool bodies I could drop onto a P71. When I awoke from my stupor, I was 15 minutes late for work, and the magazine was covered in drool. At least I hope that was drool...

Anyway, is there more information to be found about this magnificent machine? Like, can I buy it?

Awesome.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
10/9/08 10:24 a.m.

There was a picture thread on the site some time ago (it may have been on the old board.)

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
10/9/08 12:50 p.m.

That was, by far, my favorite car out there last year. And the Challenge wasn't the same this year without Haas and his boys. That car inspired me too. I can't drive past a rusty 40-something in a field without getting "excited."

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/9/08 1:29 p.m.

i love john for that build.

i've even been entertaining the thought of keeping my caprice frame and putting something old on it.

ApexC
ApexC Reader
10/9/08 3:06 p.m.

Caprice frame, eh? What else you got with that frame? Like suspension and driveline stuff, or what?

Then again, being a Blue Oval guy, perhaps this is something I should use a ratty P71 for. Who's got links to P71 chassis specs like wheelbase and track width?

ApexC
ApexC Reader
10/9/08 9:30 p.m.

Hey, what's John's screenname? I'm digging through the archives and not finding anything pertinent.

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/9/08 10:13 p.m.

i have a whole running 91 caprice that i'm parting.

the P71 frames look prone to some gnarly rot - mine even needs some work and its a pretty clean low mile car. i'd go with a gm unit of any type before i went with a panther frame on anything except my vic.

Duende
Duende New Reader
10/25/08 8:09 p.m.

Absolutely bad ass.

How grassroots can something like this be? Are there any particular bodies that would make for the easiest fit onto a P71 or Caprice?

Other than stock!

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/25/08 9:52 p.m.

we're de-capricing the frame shortly and putting a 1948 chevy fleetline aerosedan(2 door fastback) body on it.

wheelbase is spot on and track is do-able.

Duende
Duende New Reader
10/26/08 12:19 a.m.

What're the measurements you look for when deciding what body is a good fit with the chassis?

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/26/08 8:26 a.m.

making sure the rails arent wider than the inner rockers, wheelbase(of course but that can be adjusted on gm frames usually if you can grind and weld), track width and if it can be adjusted with different offset wheels, making sure the steering box isnt going to stick out past the front bumper or the leaf springs(if so equipped) arent going to have their rear hangers out past where the rear bumper is.

the steering box thing and leaf spring thing kept me from putting a lumina APV on a fullsize chevy truck chassis with a 350 and making the ultimate never rusts out fiberglass body tow rig. i'm contemplating trying with an s10 next time.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA Dork
10/26/08 8:58 a.m.

Now THIS is out of the box thinking!

patgizz
patgizz Dork
10/26/08 9:23 p.m.

i'm insane so my thinking box is relatively huge and there isn't much i will not try.

my 40 pickup is going on an s10 chassis with lsx power over winter.

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
10/26/08 9:48 p.m.

yeah, that car is hot!! Me thinks I picked a good time to resubscribe.

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
10/28/08 10:24 a.m.

What about a Shoebox (49,50,51) ford on a XJ-6! That would be cool with a 5.0/T5.

Hmmmmmmm! ;)

Rogue
Rogue New Reader
11/23/14 10:26 a.m.

I now have a 1941 Chevrolet Coupe. Chopped it 3 inches and setting it on nice XJS suspension. Will make a nice taildragger that will handle! [URL=http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/RogueRace/media/IMG_1419_zpsd583a211.jpg.html][/URL]

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
11/23/14 12:25 p.m.

more pics !

Grtechguy
Grtechguy UltimaDork
11/23/14 1:20 p.m.
ApexC wrote: Hey, what's John's screenname? I'm digging through the archives and not finding anything pertinent.

johnhaas IIRC. Didn't he pass away last year? edit: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/john-haas-dies-at-age-39/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/community/jhaas/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/23/14 6:44 p.m.

I've heard of people dropping Shoe Box Fords (49-51) successfully onto panther chassis. Measure carefully.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fGEIcgaFtLTj6NosXmBNjqhWf4nn72PiMOjmdrUWj0baXWmVtiE3LnWeg28XeXBF