1 2 3
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/2/12 7:55 a.m.

And I have to say they were pretty fast. They didn't all run in the same classes, but in general were running fast compared to some of the regular fast guys. I still think they're over-priced and not that great looking (my own opinion), but seem to make pretty good auto-x cars.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/2/12 9:31 a.m.

I'm sure they are overpriced, at least for now, but I really dig their looks. Much more aggressive looking in person than they pics make them look.

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/2/12 9:43 a.m.

It's cool that they were running in different classes. I'd be most interested in the ones running in the ST type classes with mods and street tires

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
7/2/12 9:47 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: And I have to say they were pretty fast. They didn't all run in the same classes, but in general were running fast compared to some of the regular fast guys. I still think they're over-priced and not that great looking (my own opinion), but seem to make pretty good auto-x cars.

Overpriced?

Compared to what?

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/2/12 9:48 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Compared to what I'd be willing to pay for one.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
7/2/12 9:52 a.m.

I hope they sell like crazy...they may be overpriced now, but in 6 years, theyre gonna be the new S13 - cheap (for 2018), easy (ish) to work on, (hopefully) abundant aftermarket, (and if they sell a ton of them)parts growing on trees

I was beginning to worry about what the aftermarket/used car market would look like in my mid 40s (when I think I will start having real disposable income that can be devoted to fun). Im hoping that the resurgence over the last few years of turbo and/or RWD coupe vehicles means the fun+cheap used car supply wont dry up!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/2/12 9:56 a.m.

Overpriced?

Not sure what you guys are expecting for $26K, but seems like a good deal to me.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/2/12 10:04 a.m.

Fortunately, a lot of folks didn't think the M3 was overpriced back in the '90's. My g/f paid ~$40K for hers back in 1995. They only reason she bought it was because it was cheaper than the non-M convertible she wanted.

Hell... Sonic still had the original sticker for my '88 325is is the folder of paperwork - about $36K, IIRC.

$26K for the FSR/BRZ sounds pretty good. I'm not in the market for a new car, so I can't say with any certainty if I'd buy one or not, but I'd definitely put one on the "test drive" list.

car39
car39 HalfDork
7/2/12 10:07 a.m.

What class did they end up for stock?

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/2/12 10:15 a.m.
car39 wrote: What class did they end up for stock?

Per the latest Fastrack - C-stock.

http://www.scca.com/assets/12-fastrack-july-solo.pdf

There is a proposal out right now to shake up the Stock classes a bit as well, moving some of the C-stock cars to B-Stock and the E46 M3 from B-Stock to F-Stock (to give the Mustang guys something to think about).

Javelin
Javelin UltimaDork
7/2/12 11:27 a.m.

We had a stone-stock BRZ with an auto show up yesterday. Even with the auto and the Subie understeer-prone tuning it would "wag the tail". Seriously quick car even on the Prius tires. I really, really want to try a 6-speed FRS on some 140tw tires...

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
7/2/12 11:38 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Per the latest Fastrack - C-stock.

Oh, no. Another faster car in C-stock. The poor RX-8 is quickly becoming obsolete...

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
7/2/12 12:03 p.m.
JohnyHachi6 wrote: Oh, no. Another faster car in C-stock. The poor RX-8 is quickly becoming obsolete...

One of the hot shoes in my region is doing pretty well with one in STX.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Reader
7/2/12 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Yeah, a lot of the guys who were winning national events in the RX-8 in C-stock (or B-stock, previously) have switched to STX.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/2/12 12:36 p.m.

My thought on overpriced is when the dealers sell them for sticker price &/or add a "market adjustment" as they are now.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
7/2/12 12:52 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: My thought on overpriced is when the dealers sell them for sticker price &/or add a "market adjustment" as they are now.

Yes, that's it for sure.

NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
7/2/12 1:10 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to NOHOME: Compared to what I'd be willing to pay for one.

Still have not answered the question. What car WOULD you like to pay 26k for.

bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
7/2/12 1:24 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

No, I don't think that was the question.

Gimp
Gimp Dork
7/2/12 1:26 p.m.
Jaynen wrote: It's cool that they were running in different classes. I'd be most interested in the ones running in the ST type classes with mods and street tires

Sam Strano racing his for the first time. Hankooks and coil overs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pm12Sckx9I&list=UUYzaGk3oi5xNONLKNwhm1hA&index=4&feature=plcp

Jaynen
Jaynen Reader
7/2/12 1:37 p.m.

Nice, big fan of his work

dculberson
dculberson Dork
7/2/12 1:45 p.m.

Confusing "overpriced" and "out of my price range" is a common thing; these are definitely out of my price range but not, I think, overpriced.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/2/12 3:09 p.m.

Interesting that Mr. Strano has jumped from pony cars to the FT86.

Claff
Claff Reader
7/2/12 3:16 p.m.

From what I've heard/read, he's sticking with a SS Z06 for autocross. His FRS is going to be a daily driver/test bed for the parts biz.

carguy123
carguy123 PowerDork
7/2/12 3:52 p.m.
dculberson wrote: Confusing "overpriced" and "out of my price range" is a common thing; these are definitely out of my price range but not, I think, overpriced.

Once they begin to be sold at a regular pricing structure I'd have to agree with you, but the present bite & gouge pricing says yes, they are overpriced.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
7/2/12 4:26 p.m.
Claff wrote: From what I've heard/read, he's sticking with a SS Z06 for autocross. His FRS is going to be a daily driver/test bed for the parts biz.

Ah, I missed that he had jumped from the Shelby GT to the Corvette.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sbufL6HIVUc77FBxNJfGO2UlVlLof3cuobMJFklPJi5OYAaMnHN4bC5fBt5NWD2A